LaunchBox Community Forums

9.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Pause screens are looking awesome! One thing I noticed that would be handy to have in them is the ability to show retroachievements in the pause screen... not sure if that's something that needs to be programmed in or if that's going to be a custom theme implementation for a theme creator. So glad LaunchBox finally has Pause Screens to completely make Rocketlauncher redundant software for me, thanks Jason!

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 11:09 AM, Omen said:

I'd have to disagree with you on that, I think it should support both options. My entire setup uses the guide button as a hold button:

Guide + Start = Exit game. (This will be changed to activate Pause once Pause is more functional.

Guide + LB = Switch display to primary

Guide + RB = Switch display to secondary

Guide + Left Stick button (L3) = Custom script that force closes every emulator (backup kill all for emulators).

Guide + Right Stick button (R3) = Custom script that force closes everything, including BigBox, then restarts BigBox (backup kill all and restore).

Guide + Y = Custom command for each emulator, Cemu for example toggles between the gamepad screen and TV, when using this shortcut. In PCSX2 it switches between hardware and software rendering.

Guide + X = Toggle full screen in emulators.

Guide + B = Turn off controller.

Guide + A = Test shortcut, for testing new commands.

Here's an example of my AHK script for Cemu (The other functions like display switching amd turning off the controller are handled by EventGhost):

; This section closes Emu when pressing Guide Button and Start

vk07sc000::

Joy4::

Joy8::

Joy9::

Joy10::

If GetKeyState("vk07sc000") && GetKeyState("Joy8")
{
	Run, L:\Launchbox\System\Scripts\Kill_Emu.exe
}

; This section toggles gamepad screen when pressing Guide & Triangle

If GetKeyState("vk07sc000") && GetKeyState("Joy4")
{
	Send {z down}{z up}
}

; This section closes Emu when pressing Guide Button and L3

If GetKeyState("vk07sc000") && GetKeyState("Joy9")
{
	Run, L:\Launchbox\System\Scripts\Kill_Emu.exe
}

; This section closes All when pressing Guide Button and R3

If GetKeyState("vk07sc000") && GetKeyState("Joy10")
{
	Run, L:\Launchbox\System\Scripts\Kill_All.exe
}

Any chance you have an ahk script for a single press to map the guide button to the pause screen now that we have per emulator ahk options? I'm not deadset on keeping these bindings, but currently I have pause set to keyboard key "M" in LaunchBox and controller 'hold Select and press A' in BigBox. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, PanteraZombie said:

Any chance you have an ahk script for a single press to map the guide button to the pause screen now that we have per emulator ahk options? I'm not deadset on keeping these bindings, but currently I have pause set to keyboard key "M" in LaunchBox and controller 'hold Select and press A' in BigBox. Thanks.

This should work, let me know if it doesn't and I'll see what I can figure out:

vk07sc000::

If GetKeyState("vk07sc000")
{
		Send {m down}{m up}
}

7 minutes ago, deliyuerek85 said:

That is what I was hoping to be added too actually.

This wouldn't necessarily be a bad addition, but you're adding an extra step to exit a game when we already have keyboard/controller automation. Unless you're wanting a "proper" exit or something... Although when using controller automation with FS-UAE emulator for the Amiga CD32, it just takes me to the emulator menu and does not want to exit, i have to press up to the X to manually close. I've even tried using an ahk script to exit with alt-F4. This emulator also doesn't seem to like the new Pause Screen either, it seems to take over in a way that no other emulator does...

Is there a way that we can add a 'remember last place in PDF document' option which can be switched on or off in both BigBox and LaunchBox? 

Where this would be really handy for example is if there is a point in a game where I need to refer to a PDF document several times. I open up Pause, open the document, find and read the page I want (which might be quite far into the document), resume the game by returning to Pause and then the game (or even better an additional option to return direct to the game), then a short time later I want to get back into the document but, to save time, it remembers where I last exited it. When the document is reopened through Pause, it does so at that same last place I viewed.

Would this be possible?

Edited by Mike Stewart
Clarify that reopening the PDF doc would be via Pause again.

1 hour ago, PanteraZombie said:

This wouldn't necessarily be a bad addition, but you're adding an extra step to exit a game when we already have keyboard/controller automation. Unless you're wanting a "proper" exit or something... Although when using controller automation with FS-UAE emulator for the Amiga CD32, it just takes me to the emulator menu and does not want to exit, i have to press up to the X to manually close. I've even tried using an ahk script to exit with alt-F4. This emulator also doesn't seem to like the new Pause Screen either, it seems to take over in a way that no other emulator does...

That's what happens to me with that emulator Pause will not show and when I exit the Game Over screen doesn't show tried many emulators with great success but this one seems to be a stubborn beast ?

4 hours ago, PanteraZombie said:

Yes, it is possible to use automation but I am already using too many combinations for other functions and thought, it would come handy if it would be implemented in the pause screen instead. I actually was sure that this would be the first thing jason would add. ? For me, it would be an obvious option to have in a pause screen.

And it woud be nice to have access to the achievements list.

Edited by deliyuerek85

9 hours ago, PanteraZombie said:

I prefer a menu to exit, as I have players in my home that button mash a lot, and have been known to exit games unintentionally. I used to use RocketLauncher's pause to exit games, but I had to remove RL from my setup because it was causing problems.

1 minute ago, FlightRisk said:

So are the new pause screens pretty much the same as the startup screens in that there will be downloadable versions of them? Are they linked to the overall theme you are using (like Unified)?

Yes they are themeable like the startup/shutdown screens are. They are not linked to any existing themes, they go in the Launchbox/PauseThemes folder.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Omen said:

I prefer a menu to exit, as I have players in my home that button mash a lot, and have been known to exit games unintentionally. I used to use RocketLauncher's pause to exit games, but I had to remove RL from my setup because it was causing problems.

Have to say I absolutely agree. The pause menu at a minimum should have save states, game help and an exit function in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, GreenGriffon said:

Is there any way to have a specific image for each game's pause screen?

I've been pushing for the ability to show the control layout as the pause screen on a per-rom basis, and so far I can't tell if this is being made possible.

Yes. You would have to create a new theme to show images you see fit. Or copy the default theme and rename it, then edit the xaml. Pause Screens can be themed like all the others. 

Just now, GreenGriffon said:

Is there any way to have a specific image for each game's pause screen?

I've been pushing for the ability to show the control layout as the pause screen on a per-rom basis, and so far I can't tell if this is being made possible.

The current default theme uses Fanart-Background as the background image as well as a clear logo and cart/disc image, but that is themeable just like Bigbox and Startup/Shutdown screens are.

Interesting, thanks. I'll play with it once the official release arrives.

I've made over 300 screens like this so far, and all I want to do is be able to display them on my cab. If you ever have friends or family over and they ask you constantly how to play every game they load up, you'll understand why I really want this to finally be a reality lol.

gaiden-launching.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreenGriffon said:

Interesting, thanks. I'll play with it once the official release arrives.

I've made over 300 screens like this so far, and all I want to do is be able to display them on my cab. If you ever have friends or family over and they ask you constantly how to play every game they load up, you'll understand why I really want this to finally be a reality lol.

gaiden-launching.jpg

If those are full sized images you could use them now. They would need the same name as the games then put them in Launchbox/Images/name of platform/Fanart-Background folder overwriting the existing images.