LaunchBox Community Forums

9.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

5 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

What other folders is it using? It looks like it automatically looks to the "manuals" folder for one, correct? It must be matching the names to the rom or using the games database? It seems to be catching some of my manuals, but not others.

Its looking at the manuals folder and the additional apps for the games. If in the manuals folder then the manual name must match the rom name for it to show,also they must be PDF's.

Just now, neil9000 said:

If those are full sized images you could use them now. They would need the same name as the games then put them in Launchbox/Images/name of platform/Fanart-Background folder overwriting the existing images.

Thanks, but that basically means wiping out all fanart images. And, any media updates would then overwrite my pause screens.

I had requested a new image category for 'pause screens' a couple of times in this thread so that we could have a clean solution, but I guess that's not happening.

13 minutes ago, GreenGriffon said:

Thanks, but that basically means wiping out all fanart images. And, any media updates would then overwrite my pause screens.

I had requested a new image category for 'pause screens' a couple of times in this thread so that we could have a clean solution, but I guess that's not happening.

Whether it will happen or not is not determined, but I would wager to say it is something that will eventually get looked into. After all Jason just got going on the Pause feature. I do not think we have to be so stark about it not being in place right now. 

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Whether it will happen or not is not determined, but I would wager to say it is something that will eventually get looked into. After all Jason just got going on on the Pause feature. I do not think we have to be so stark about it not being in place right now. 

Agreed. But for the same reason (being able to display the controls for a game while loading), I had asked for an image category for the Launch Screen feature, and it didn't happen.

Knowing Jason reads every post, I can only assume he has good reason to not do it, which I obviously respect.

Therefore, while I'm hopeful, let's just say I don't expect it to happen with this feature either.

4 minutes ago, GreenGriffon said:

Agreed. But for the same reason (being able to display the controls for a game while loading), I had asked for an image category for the Launch Screen feature, and it didn't happen.

Knowing Jason reads every post, I can only assume he has good reason to not do it, which I obviously respect.

Therefore, while I'm hopeful, let's just say I don't expect it to happen with this feature either.

I agree that it would be a good thing to have. It just comes down to priorities and time, as usual. So it will hopefully happen eventually, but not before the official release.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I agree that it would be a good thing to have. It just comes down to priorities and time, as usual. So it will hopefully happen eventually, but not before the official release.

Really glad to hear that Jason, thanks. I thought the idea was completely off the table, which like I said I would understand.

Whenever you get to it (no rush), I would appreciate the added user flexibility.

28 minutes ago, GreenGriffon said:

Really glad to hear that Jason, thanks. I thought the idea was completely off the table, which like I said I would understand.

Whenever you get to it (no rush), I would appreciate the added user flexibility.

I think you could use the "Arcade - Controls Information" image category, and then modify the default theme to point to that instead of backgrounds.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Omen said:

I think you could use the "Arcade - Controls Information" image category, and then modify the default theme to point to that instead of backgrounds.

True, but those are based on MAME defaults. They make sense from a logical gameplay approach (i.e. the first button is usually 'Fire'), but they're not necessarily the authentic controls.

In the case of arcade games, I've modified my controls for a large number of games to more accurately reflect the layout found on the original cabinets. A lot of work, but the end result is worth it from a nostalgia point of view.

I just want to have the ability to show a custom image, without having to modify, delete, or overwrite artwork that is automatically downloaded from the LB database.

21 minutes ago, GreenGriffon said:

True, but those are based on MAME defaults. They make sense from a logical gameplay approach (i.e. the first button is usually 'Fire'), but they're not necessarily the authentic controls.

In the case of arcade games, I've modified my controls for a large number of games to more accurately reflect the layout found on the original cabinets. A lot of work, but the end result is worth it from a nostalgia point of view.

I just want to have the ability to show a custom image, without having to modify, delete, or overwrite artwork that is automatically downloaded from the LB database.

No that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying why don't you just use that image category for your images? You can use any image in any category, you are not forced to use images from the LB database or emumovies.

Great job on the Pause Screens Jason. To echo what user Mike Stewart posted earlier (and it may not necessarily have to do with the Pause Screens as much as adjusting the built-in PDF reader), but the ability to return back to a certain point in a PDF file when you reopen it is a great idea he had. It would be especially useful when the user is going back and forth with a game guide. Going along with that, what also would be great would be adding controller buttons for page up and page down in the PDF reader.

Thanks again, the screens work great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omen said:

No that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying why don't you just use that image category for your images? You can use any image in any category, you are not forced to use images from the LB database or emumovies.

I understood what you were saying. As I already explained, if you use an existing image category, unless you remember to uncheck the box, the files will be overwritten the next time you update your media through the LB database.

Yes you can do it, but it's far from an ideal solution.

Jason already said he'd consider the idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

What is everyone else wanting on the pause screens? My top 3 are "guides", "controller layout" and "manuals. My understanding based on this thread is that this is really not available yet, is that right? I pretty much can only have one PDF file? I might want videos, commercials, etc and perhaps artwork like at least the original cabinet. I assume we are trying to have at least as much functionality as rocket launcher has?

@neil9000 I didn't follow what you meant about the additional apps folder. How does it use that and what could I use it for? I maybe lacking in imagination, but I thought it was all about creating a sort of macro so that if I launch a game, it can display a manual in browser or call some other function. How does that fit with pause screens?

13 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

neil9000 I didn't follow what you meant about the additional apps folder. How does it use that and what could I use it for? I maybe lacking in imagination, but I thought it was all about creating a sort of macro so that if I launch a game, it can display a manual in browser or call some other function. How does that fit with pause screens?

Not a folder, the actual additional apps you can add to games. In these images i have a walk through guide for Witcher 3 as a additional app, which i can open and view via the pause screen.

guide.thumb.png.6314a9a69a7a81820f68d1559ecca457.png1713362845_Screenshot(72).thumb.png.cdfbc477b93f22110e96426ae69608d3.png517809010_Screenshot(73).thumb.png.5201c9b77d37a552706a7b3b97255f6e.png

• Like 1

It might be cool to have an option to play the game theme song in pause for any games that has a downloaded theme song linked to it...

Edit: I'm not referring to a button to play the theme song, I'm thinking checking a box in Launchbox pause settings to autoplay if available.

Edited by PanteraZombie

Ah, now that's cool. I'll have to think through and play with that. Would still be nice to have things in folders automatically found for guides, manuals, control layout, etc. Basically a set of folders it can look in and then show PDFs, images or videos. 

lol yeah I am sure we will get functionality added as this feature becomes more fleshed out. Matching what is available in Rocket Launcher is a good goal, for now, ensuring it all works is the main task. I think we are seeing a lot of progress so far on what is a brand new feature. 

Beta 13 is out now with the following:

• Pause screens now fade (with an option to disable in the global LaunchBox or Big Box Game Pause options)
  • Pause screens now mute audio during transitions (with an option to disable in the global LaunchBox or Big Box Game Pause options)
  • Added an exit game option to pause screens
  • Fixed save and load states and reset game pause screen functionality for MAME (new default scripts and forced keyboardprovider dinput)
  • Fixed Retroarch game reset AutoHotkey script using incorrect default key
  • Added default pause screen settings for Steem, Hatari, and ePSXe (no scripts yet though)

Here's what's left on my hopeful to-do list before the official release (note that they are not at all guaranteed):

• Game-specific pause screen settings
  • Improved emulator compatibility
  • Additional emulator AutoHotkey scripts for save and load game states and reset game
  • Add retro achievements to pause screens
  • Add disc swapping to pause screens
  • Save PDF browsing location for next time
  • Add themes manager for pause themes

Not sure if all of those will be possible, but that's what I'm shooting for. Thanks all; let me know how this beta fares.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 13 is out now with the following:

• Pause screens now fade (with an option to disable in the global LaunchBox or Big Box Game Pause options)
  • Pause screens now mute audio during transitions (with an option to disable in the global LaunchBox or Big Box Game Pause options)
  • Added an exit game option to pause screens
  • Fixed save and load states and reset game pause screen functionality for MAME (new default scripts and forced keyboardprovider dinput)
  • Fixed Retroarch game reset AutoHotkey script using incorrect default key
  • Added default pause screen settings for Steem, Hatari, and ePSXe (no scripts yet though)

Here's what's left on my hopeful to-do list before the official release (note that they are not at all guaranteed):

• Game-specific pause screen settings
  • Improved emulator compatibility
  • Additional emulator AutoHotkey scripts for save and load game states and reset game
  • Add retro achievements to pause screens
  • Add disc swapping to pause screens
  • Save PDF browsing location for next time
  • Add themes manager for pause themes

Not sure if all of those will be possible, but that's what I'm shooting for. Thanks all; let me know how this beta fares.

Amazing work Jason!!! The new possible features actually make pause screens have a purpose for me, since i didnt see any real use for it. Im excited for AutoHotkey scripts for save and load game states and reset game. Keep it up Jason!!!

• Like 1

Phenomenal work as usual Jason. Some issues/questions. Just testing with Arcade games running MAME:

1. Startup: Fade in to startup blanks the mouse cursor, shutdown screen does not
  2. Startup and Pause: How do I get backgrounds? I just have a black background with "loading" in the center, the game clear logo in the top left and sometimes a cart in the top right (capcom roms). Pause has a logo at the top left and a menu under it.
  3. Startup: If I turn off startup screens, but leave pause screens, and use Launchbox to launch, the pause screens show only "resume game" and "exit game".
  4. Pause: Is there a way to control the fade effect in and out duration (the "attack" and "release" for you musicians, vs. just the "sustain" we have now?

2 side questions:

Is there a way to assign a key sequence (like a macro or auto hotkey script) to do the equivalent of right clicking on a game, selecting "launch with" and choosing "MAME" (or whatever other emulators are in the list)?

Is there a way to delay a sound playing in my startup theme using XAML? I use "mediaelement". It plays as soon as the startup screen loads. So I hear "loading" before I even see the word "loading". I could set it to "manual", but have no idea in XAML how to do what I would do with a timer. I could assign "play" to a click event, bu then how do I automatically "click" it after 500 milliseconds? As I write I am thinking I need an event in XAML that calls a code behind routine that uses a DispatchTimer.