LaunchBox Community Forums

9.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

6 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

Tried to automatically install beta 6 from launching beta 5 and get this dialog: "Setup was not able to automatically close all applications..." I tried it a few times by aborting and restarting LB. Task manager did show LB running, so terminated it.  I was afraid to hit "ignore". I left the setup process running and then pressed "retry". Never had it not be able to terminate LB before.

Sounds like a freak one off. I updated last night as usual, no issues updating, it closed Launchbox and applied the update with no issues.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright, this has been a huge headache, but beta 6 is out now and I'm hoping the pause screens are a lot more stable than beta 5. Thus far with this beta I have not seen any issues with MAME, Retroarch, or Dolphin in my testing. Other emulators are still up in the air, however, and I still haven't added any real features outside of just showing and closing the pause screen. Let me know how this beta fares compared to beta 5.

Hey Jason, I updated to beta 6 and the pause screens are working for me in all the emulators I mentioned above. I am still having the same issues with the games starting in background leaving the black screen with Cemu and Yuzu (having to Alt/Tab). but none of the other automation buttons are working with these two emulators as you stated your just working with the showing and closing the pause screens.

RA is working fine for me, 1.76 (I am using it for mame, so not sure about actual MAME emulator) All automations are working for me in Dolhpin (using dev versions). Hope this helps

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PanteraZombie said:

That seems pretty logical for your configuration, having a more complex in-game command setup. I would assume I fall in the more average user setup and only really needing the exit game command... using hold select and press start for example. A single press on start to pause the current game and a single press on guide as the global pause for more features just seems perfect my setup and possibly most users. My post was assuming it would work the way you're wanting it to but hoping to have the option as a stand-alone keypress.

Oh I totally agree with you, there definitely should be as many options as possible. Unfortunately I don't think we will get Guide button support. But you can still use the AHK option under emulators to get it to work.

Updated to beta 6. 

For me, MAME is now a lot more unstable. My first try I was able to get in and out of the Pause screen without issue. On another load of MAME, I was able to get into the Pause screen, but could not exit and had to alt-tab out. After that, I couldn't get the Pause screen to load without restarting my PC and starting a fresh load of MAME.

RA and Dolphin continue to work well for me. No issues on that front. 

I do still have issues with Yuzu; it goes into the Pause screen well, but does not restart the emu properly and I need to go to task manager to fix it. 

Edited by TheNewClassics

8 hours ago, Wanderer189 said:

Hey Jason, I updated to beta 6 and the pause screens are working for me in all the emulators I mentioned above. I am still having the same issues with the games starting in background leaving the black screen with Cemu and Yuzu (having to Alt/Tab). but none of the other automation buttons are working with these two emulators as you stated your just working with the showing and closing the pause screens.

RA is working fine for me, 1.76 (I am using it for mame, so not sure about actual MAME emulator) All automations are working for me in Dolhpin (using dev versions). Hope this helps

Just want to add that Cxbx and Xenia are both WORKING correct for me.

• Like 1

Strange issue - never happened until this update. Trying to replace any default images for a platform or playlists artwork in the edit menu. After I  selected my replacement image (clear logo for example) and hit Okay - it hangs for almost a minute. I had to force-close the application the first few times till I realized it was only taking awhile.

Sorry - seems to have resolved itself. Working normally now.

Edited by Mr.Laor

22 hours ago, Wanderer189 said:

Yep black screen issue still exists on emulator exit for me too... beta 6.

Just got this error while trying to update to 9.8 beta 6

Could not find a part of the path 'Z:\BigBox - Launchbox\PauseThemes\Default\Default.xaml'.

App:     Big Box
Version: 9.8-beta-6
Type:    System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
Site:    Void WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.InternalWriteAllBytes(String path, Byte[] bytes, Boolean checkHost)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.App..ctor()
   at ()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.BigBoxProgram.Main()

Recent Log:

10:14:46 AM Exception

Just got this error when updating to 9.8 beta 6

Could not find a part of the path 'Z:\BigBox - Launchbox\PauseThemes\Default\Default.xaml'.

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.InternalWriteAllBytes(String path, Byte[] bytes, Boolean checkHost)
   at ()

Recent Log:

EDIT: Just ended up creating that path, fixed the error for now.

Edited by Mute64

42 minutes ago, Mute64 said:

Just got this error while trying to update to 9.8 beta 6

at ()

Recent Log:

Just got this error when updating to 9.8 beta 6

at ()

Recent Log:

EDIT: Just ended up creating that path, fixed the error for now.

This directory is automatically created and populated if you launch LaunchBox, but for some reason BigBox doesn't automatically create it. So if anyone else is having trouble with that, try booting up LaunchBox first, then switch over to BigBox. The update installer should ideally have created that folder though...

In Retroarch, if I push the "Home" Button on my PS4 controller (which is set up es an XInput controller), than the pause screen appears, even though controller automation is deactivated. Is this intentional?

After 2 or 3 times the pause screen stops to work. Than I need to restart BigBox for it to work again.

EDIT:

Dolphin: The puase menu appears with pushing the home button on the controller, too. after a few times the pause screen does not appear any more but the game screen pauses. If I push the button again the game goes on.

SSF (Saturn Emulator): The Pause screen appears but the emulator closes/crashes after closing the pause screen. I'm using this emulator because it works best on my system.

Edited by deliyuerek85

The following might be true with BB/LB but can't tell as its not working correctly.

With the Startup theme it delays the start of the emulator right? is it possible to actually overlay the emulator like RocketLauncher does so that we can hide some messy starts in certain games?

Edited by wallmachine

On 4/25/2019 at 7:12 PM, RULLUR said:

I have yet to give the Pause Screens another try..but I come to a Black Screen when exiting Project64. I'm still checking up on other Emulators without the Pause Screen first before doing so

It's likely your settings if you're having issues with the startup screens with the latest beta. None of the startup screen stuff has been changed. Project64 is known to work fine with the startup screens, so that's not something I'm tackling currently.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:34 PM, wallmachine said:

If I now set LB and BB StartupTheme to the same theme in LB and BB it doesn't display the Startup theme at all now.

I just tested this to confirm and I'm not having any issues. I may not be fully understanding though. If I set LaunchBox and Big Box to both use the same startup theme, the startup screens are working just fine for me. What am I missing?

On 4/25/2019 at 8:18 PM, wallmachine said:

With the Startup screen also rotating on games that rotate could this be a fix?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8323318/wpf-orientation

Honestly I didn't even know this was an issue. No, I don't think that will be a fix for anything, but can you explain the issue in more detail? What games is it happening on?

On 4/26/2019 at 4:37 AM, FlightRisk said:

Tried to automatically install beta 6 from launching beta 5 and get this dialog: "Setup was not able to automatically close all applications..." I tried it a few times by aborting and restarting LB. Task manager did show LB running, so terminated it.  I was afraid to hit "ignore". I left the setup process running and then pressed "retry". Never had it not be able to terminate LB before.

That's interesting. Probably a fluke, but good to know. Clicking Ignore in the setup process is pretty much guaranteed to result in a broken LaunchBox, so it is wise to make sure that it can continue with LaunchBox closed.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:39 AM, Wanderer189 said:

For Cemu and Yuzu, were they working properly in previous versions? Most likely it's just a setting issue somewhere, but I haven't specifically tested those two emulators. Try playing with the emulator startup screen settings in LaunchBox.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:04 AM, TheNewClassics said:

Updated to beta 6. 

For me, MAME is now a lot more unstable. My first try I was able to get in and out of the Pause screen without issue. On another load of MAME, I was able to get into the Pause screen, but could not exit and had to alt-tab out. After that, I couldn't get the Pause screen to load without restarting my PC and starting a fresh load of MAME.

RA and Dolphin continue to work well for me. No issues on that front. 

I do still have issues with Yuzu; it goes into the Pause screen well, but does not restart the emu properly and I need to go to task manager to fix it. 

Per MAME, I'll do some more testing, but I'm guessing it's a setting issue of some sort. Can you try a new copy of MAME with default settings to see if it's your MAME settings? We'll have to identify the difference somehow in order to get it fixed.

On 4/27/2019 at 4:16 PM, KobraKid1337 said:

This directory is automatically created and populated if you launch LaunchBox, but for some reason BigBox doesn't automatically create it. So if anyone else is having trouble with that, try booting up LaunchBox first, then switch over to BigBox. The update installer should ideally have created that folder though...

Ah, good to know. Just an oversight on my part; should be easy to fix.