LaunchBox Community Forums

9.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

For Cemu and Yuzu, were they working properly in previous versions? Most likely it's just a setting issue somewhere, but I haven't specifically tested those two emulators. Try playing with the emulator startup screen settings in LaunchBox.

Per MAME, I'll do some more testing, but I'm guessing it's a setting issue of some sort. Can you try a new copy of MAME with default settings to see if it's your MAME settings? We'll have to identify the difference somehow in order to get it fixed.

@Jason: I can't say for sure if they worked before this beta version. I have tried different combos of the buttons to see if that was it, no difference. Like I said, only the pause works with Cemu & Yuzu currently. I have found a temporary work around for the black screen with these two emulators: Just let the game load for a few seconds, then use the pause automation and unpause, it will bring the game to the front. (not using Mame, I use RA for my mame stuff)

Edited by Wanderer189
  • Like 1

Emulator: Game Loader ALL RH

- First I show how it looks without any Startup themes in LB/BB
- Then I show how it looks with Default Startup theme in LB/BB (no Shutdown theme appearing)
- Then I show how it looks with the Startup theme I created in LB (loads Startup (even if I increase delay its always that quick) but after I change further settings and go back to the setting that briefly showed it, it doesn't work)
- Then I show how it looks with the Startup theme I created in BB (Both Startup and Shutdown do not load)
- I then changed a few things in Override before phone cuts off (both Startup and Shutdown do not load)

Note it seems to interfere with the game.exe sometimes and it causes the game to crash
- With WoW Action Max the log for Daphne gets errors but the game runs fine the Startup.exe seems to interfere with the .bat file (I can provide you a video on how I can produce the error in the Daphne log file if you want its basically just focusing on another window in the taskbar)

Video example: https://mega.nz/#!h0ImBISS!j9GvHJEHLuhxieX21IZhAWTS_EjDqP4nwFA0WbaAzhg

I pm'd you my Startup theme. Please note it worked in Beta 5 so I rolled back and its now still not working.

This is how it use to look in Beta 5

Edited by wallmachine

11 hours ago, wallmachine said:

Can you explain your fix and how you achieved it because now startup themes don't work for me at all in BB/LB after upgrading to beta 6 not even on default settings or customised settings.

I just removed Nvidia's Geforce Experience. It has been known to cause issues with LB/BB. I usually do not have it installed because of this, but I updated some drivers and forgot I installed it to test something. 

6 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I just removed Nvidia's Geforce Experience. It has been known to cause issues with LB/BB. I usually do not have it installed because of this, but I updated some drivers and forgot I installed it to test something. 

ahk thanks I don't have it installed anyway and up to date drivers :(

Edited by wallmachine

Beta 7 is out now with the following:

• New global pause screen options for disabling or changing the pause theme (separate options for both LaunchBox and Big Box)

• New option to set a pause key in LaunchBox - Tools > Options > Game Pause

• New emulator-specific options for enabling as well as custom AutoHotkey scripts for pause and resume - Add/Edit Emulator > Game Pause Screen tab

• Updated pt-BR and ru-RU translations

• Fixed: Keyboard automation now ignores zero for key values (was causing weirdness with Xbox controller guide buttons)

• Fixed: Pause theme folder not being created properly on Big Box startup

• Fixed: While in Big Box, the shutdown themes were using the LaunchBox startup theme setting instead of the Big Box one

• Fixed: Rare threading error with hiding mouse cursors

• Fixed: Possible null reference error while auto-generating child playlists

This should get us a lot closer, at least. The custom AutoHotkey scripts should hopefully allow us to start fixing some of the emulator-specific issues. Feel free to experiment, and let me know if anyone solves any of them and gets them working.

Also, just a reminder: we're working through emulator coverage over here:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FlightRisk said:

Is there a video or description of how to use pause screens yet?

Just map your key or controller in the settings. Then hit the button(s) you mapped to activate the pause. Not much too it. 

LB and BB have settings to map controller or key as well as a section in the settings to manage the Pause Themes.

• Thanks 1

I had to give myself a break from pause screens today. Beta 8 is out now with a new Import Installed GOG Games Wizard. Per the name, it only imports installed GOG games. There's a plugin out that imports games via GOG's API, but it takes a very different approach, importing all a user's games and launching them via GOG Galaxy. So I guess now you get to choose.

The new built-in importer takes advantage of the fact that GOG puts "Launch Game Name" Windows shortcuts into the game folder of every game. So you just give it the root folder of your GOG games, and it finds all the shortcut files and imports them. Any additional shortcut files are added as additional apps on the games as well.

Previously you could import GOG games via the Windows import, which just found games in the Start menu, but this works a lot better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

What keyboard button and/or controller sequence is everybody using for pause screens?

Not sure about other emulators, but I know the keystroke to pause MAME is 'P'.

Since that's helpful for pausing and tweaking options within MAME, I would choose something other than that key.

Edited by GreenGriffon

Well I still can't get pause to do anything. I made the slash / question mark my pause key and nothing happened while playing the game. Then I changed it to J. All I should have to do is press that key in the middle of the game, right? I have my pause theme set to "default". Are there themes I need to install?

The key i chose is the   '  key and the pause menu comes up for me, and ive tested in with dolphin and retroarch and it works fine. you may have some sort of programs or some overlay this is taking over the keyboard, and controller.

Edited by ea4492

Having lots of trouble with beta 8 and pause screens. Things lock on the game window. If I hit alt-tab to see the other windows, I can see them, but can't get to them because the game window takes precedence. Sometimes I can click on the close window X button in the small windows while I hold Alt-Tab down, but usually I can't close the game window. I can see LB running in the background. I can't even call up task manager because I can't get it to give me the focus. At one point I saw a bug report window that said something about it could not do something with visibility. The print is very small since all I can see is the thumbnails for the Alt-Tab function. Does anyone know first of all how to get around these focus issues so that I don't have to reboot and so that I can get access to the other windows? Especially when an error box pops up so I can send a bug report.

I also sometimes see a window that says "pause". There is no pattern yet as to what I do to make it popup. It seems random. I can hit my button (J) multiple times, sometimes it comes up after a bit on it's own, mostly not.

I am using a keyboard for testing. No controller. I'll change buttons again. I tried ? and J. Also, it stopped loading games at one point. I could click on them and see the spinning wheel for a second and then it didn't do anything.

Edited by FlightRisk

35 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

Well I still can't get pause to do anything. I made the slash / question mark my pause key and nothing happened while playing the game. Then I changed it to J. All I should have to do is press that key in the middle of the game, right? I have my pause theme set to "default". Are there themes I need to install?

I was trying to test it for the first time just about an hour ago too and was running into the same thing. I couldn't get anything to work within LB, I had to go into BB and set a button in controller automation for pause and then it worked.

Yeah, it has some issues. I did a shutdown and restart and can get it to work, sort of. It doesn't like coming in and out of pause. It is slow. There is a lag and then the pause screen comes up. Then I try to unpause and it flashes different screens like it isn't blanking the windows or is alt-tabbing through them. So I will see my underlying LB window, or the game screen quickly before finally settling on the LB window finally. But it often hangs the game window. So I will here the stuck "broken record" sound of the game I was running, but then LB comes back and has it's game video sounds running at the same time. I did get that error box again so I could send a report. Hopefully that will give Jason something to go on. 

Just now, FlightRisk said:

Yeah, it has some issues. I did a shutdown and restart and can get it to work, sort of. It doesn't like coming in and out of pause. It is slow. There is a lag and then the pause screen comes up. Then I try to unpause and it flashes different screens like it isn't blanking the windows or is alt-tabbing through them. So I will see my underlying LB window, or the game screen quickly before finally settling on the LB window finally. But it often hangs the game window. So I will here the stuck "broken record" sound of the game I was running, but then LB comes back and has it's game video sounds running at the same time. I did get that error box again so I could send a report. Hopefully that will give Jason something to go on. 

The pause screens are entirely emulator-specific. So I'll need details on what game or emulator it is, first and foremost.

3 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

I am getting the same thing. It hangs for about 5-10 seconds going in and out of pause with the "broken record" sound of the game.