LaunchBox Community Forums

Games will not run

taz2350

I am new to launchbox and bigbox but bought a lifetime membership. My problem lies in that no game will run. When I click on the game it states it is loading but goes right back to the the same screen to start it. I'm running a I7 processor, 32 gigs of ddr4 memory, 1080 video card, on a Z370 MSI gaming motherboard so I'm sure my system is good enough to run the emulators with no problem. Someone please help me if any screenshots are needed tell me how and what to do and I'll assist any way possible. I've watched several videos on youtube and did exactly what was done by the contributor but my games still won't run.

Edited by taz2350
add more info

Also, a good place to find information on how to setup/point to your emulators, import rom etc, is the Launchbox Tutorials page... might have info that will assist you with setting up your emulators, or getting launchbox setup properly to point to those emulators:

Plenty of good questions to answer in prior posts so we can help. If you want to share some pics...Pick one platform you imported games and share the following images.

1. Right Click a game and choose edit. In the games edit screen share a pic of the Launcher Tab and the Emulation Tab.

2. Whatever emulator you are using for the platform and game go to >Tools>Manage Emulators and choose to edit that emulator. In the edit screen share a pic of the Emulator Details and the Associated Platforms Tab.

The gba emulator does play the games outside of launch box I downloaded the dolphin emulator and placed it in my emulator folder in launchbox installed  2 games and the same thing happened it doesn't matter what emulator and game  I try I get the same thing happening.

The reason @Retro808asked for the screen shots is then we can look at your set up and double check if it is setup right. Without looking at your setup its hard to troubleshoot your issue. Have you tried updating your video drivers? That can cause issues with emulators working or things launching in some cases.

thank you for explaining everything attached are the print shots that I was requested to get I hope this will help. I did delete everything and reinstalled it and I'm still not able to play any games. I just have 2 and the nintendo 64 emulator installed at this time until this is solved.1452037170_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.97c344cff0ea97d90168c02af1f893f7.png

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

I see is it looks like you do not have any cores downloaded for Retroarch. The last image that blue text stating "Missing Core".

Have you launched the games directly in Retroarch too see if they work? If not, you have to setup Retroarch first and download the correct cores for each platform that you will run in Retroarch.

We always recommend setting the emulator up first and testing games in the emulator before you add them to Launchbox.

Also noticed your roms are in .zip format.  Not sure if it's needed or not for Retroarch, but you might also need to select Extract Rom before running on the emulator settings tab for retroarch.  Retroarch might be smart enough to extract on its own, not sure as I always unzip mine unless it's needed (for MAME for example, where the files need to remain zipped for mame to work properly)

@taz2350

You need to go into Retroarch and download the cores from within the emulator, that isn't done by LB which is why they are all listed as missing. I use RA for most things and here is example of working setup (notice the status).  See snap of RA where you download via their updater system. 

core.thumb.PNG.8886d2deb535b0974530da1914dc0753.PNGdd.thumb.PNG.e4d7370495273384365936226e26b4d5.PNG

@CDBlue  You do not need to check the "Extract ROM archives before running" in LB for almost all RA cores.  RA will work natively with 7Z and ZIP format.

image.thumb.png.2c393608d935dcab0dd8049e0e92d5cf.png

Edited by sundogak

thank you for explaining everything attached are the print shots that I was requested to get I hope this will help. I did delete everything and reinstalled it and I'm still not able to play any games. I just have 2 and the nintendo 64 emulator installed at this time until this is solved.1452037170_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.97c344cff0ea97d90168c02af1f893f7.png

I want to thank everyone for all of the help I was given and after lots of fussing with myself I finally have Nintendo 64 working in launchbox and big box. I still have a long ways to go before I efficient with the program but I'll get it with practice. I have nothing but time since I'm retired so I'll get the hang of it. Again thanks for the  help and it was the emulators not installed that was causing the problem.

• Like 1

Good to hear you got it working, in the future be sure to watch the tutorial videos on the youtube channel or check the Guides and Tutorials thread for any emulators you need to get working.

Also you can join us on Discord and ask questions, almost always someone online that can answer some questions when you get stuck.

https://discord.gg/jWqXFd