LaunchBox Community Forums

The Great Emulator Coverage Thread

Jason Carr

2 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

Startup Screens:

ePSXe: shows, but becasue of the rescaling of the screen in the emulator, it also rescales the startup screen? Also a brief flash of appears on exite before end screen.

Dolphin: shows but becasue of the rescaling of the screen in the emulator, it also rescales the startup screen?

What graphic settings in these emulators are you using? I do not get any Startup screen rescalling in either and I think this is the first mention. So would be god to try and test with the settings you are using.

5 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

Mesen: seems to work perfectly, but game has already loaded slightly into startup video of the game, before startupscreen disappears.

PPSSPP: seems to work perfectly, but game has already loaded slightly into startup video of the game, before startupscreen disappears.

Project64: seems to work almost perfectly, but game has already loaded slightly into startup video of the game, before startupscreen disappears. Only issue is the screen breifly flashes (presumably when the emulator loads in the background), the game noise starts and then the startup screen disapeears.

Snes9x: seems to work perfectly, but game has already loaded slightly into startup video of the game, before startupscreen disappears.

Retroarch: Seems to work perfectly on genesis-plus-core, but loads into the game startup video on the mednafen-saturn core, before the startup screen disapears

In each emulator setting in Launchbox you can adjust the emulator load delay. Some may need custom tweaking to get right. Try adjusting the load delay in the Startup tab for each of these emulators. The only one I do not use is Mesen. All the others I have been able to get adjusted to a smooth transition.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

What graphic settings in these emulators are you using? I do not get any Startup screen rescalling in either and I think this is the first mention. So would be god to try and test with the settings you are using.

In each emulator setting in Launchbox you can adjust the emulator load delay. Some may need custom tweaking to get right. Try adjusting the load delay in the Startup tab for each of these emulators. The only one I do not use is Mesen. All the others I have been able to get adjusted to a smooth transition.

a65719?filename=1561464707161_TinyTake25

a65732?filename=1561464866414_TinyTake25

a65745?filename=1561465041303_TinyTake25

Here are my settings. The reason I have these settings is to aim to make these settings as portable as possible. 

Also in regards to the timing thing, I had no idea, thanks ill take a look ?

Edited by 7ank0v1c

14 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

a65719?filename=1561464707161_TinyTake25

a65732?filename=1561464866414_TinyTake25

a65745?filename=1561465041303_TinyTake25

Here are my settings. The reason I have these settings is to aim to make these settings as portable as possible. 

Also in regards to the timing thing, I had no idea, thanks ill take a look ?

Looks like it is that 1280x780 resolution. I had to go back to older versions of these 2 emulators as those settings are different in the latest version I am using. When I use that 1280x720 I get the scaling issue.

23 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Looks like it is that 1280x780 resolution. I had to go back to older versions of these 2 emulators as those settings are different in the latest version I am using. When I use that 1280x720 I get the scaling issue.

Which resolution do you use out of interest? I have tried using some higher resolutions in the past, but have had issues when loading on different computers with different screen sizes. i wonder if there is then an option where it solves both issues for me?

Also are you saying I have outdated software? I didnt know, where did you get an updated version of ePSXe?

I can see the dolphin one is outdated though haha

Edited by 7ank0v1c

1 minute ago, 7ank0v1c said:

Which resolution do you use out of interest? I have tried using some higher resolutions in the past, but have had issues when loading on different computers with different screen sizes. i wonder if there is then an option where it solves both issues for me?

I tested on one cabinet that is only 1920x1080. I used only that specific pc resolution and I don't make mine portable so each emulator setting is set for the cabinet/pc it is in. 

2 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

Also are you saying I have outdated software? I didnt know, where did you get an updated version of ePSXe?

Just go direct to ePSXe website. The latest version should be v2.0.5 and the settings menu did not look like in your images. So I went to a prior version and it matched. 

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I tested on one cabinet that is only 1920x1080. I used only that specific pc resolution and I don't make mine portable so each emulator setting is set for the cabinet/pc it is in. 

Just go direct to ePSXe website. The latest version should be v2.0.5 and the settings menu did not look like in your images. So I went to a prior version and it matched. 

It is 2.0.5, it might be my plugin though? it is the ePSXe GPU Core 2.0.0?

I downloaded a bunch of plugins before so I may have an older plugin or somthing? nevermind anyway, Ill maybe have a look into different resolutions to find a work around. Hopefully there will be one. Do you happen to know a good resolution that works on all modern widscreen systems?

3 hours ago, 7ank0v1c said:

Here is my complete set up review of the startup screen and pause screen. It seems to be working on most, but there are a few issues currently. Love the idea though and would love to see this perfected =D

Startup Screens:

ePSXe: shows, but becasue of the rescaling of the screen in the emulator, it also rescales the startup screen? Also a brief flash of appears on exite before end screen.

Mesen: seems to work perfectly, but game has already loaded slightly into startup video of the game, before startupscreen disappears.

PPSSPP: seems to work perfectly, but game has already loaded slightly into startup video of the game, before startupscreen disappears.

No$GBA: works perfectly

Dolphin: shows but becasue of the rescaling of the screen in the emulator, it also rescales the startup screen?

Project64: seems to work almost perfectly, but game has already loaded slightly into startup video of the game, before startupscreen disappears. Only issue is the screen breifly flashes (presumably when the emulator loads in the background), the game noise starts and then the startup screen disapeears.

Snes9x: seems to work perfectly, but game has already loaded slightly into startup video of the game, before startupscreen disappears.

PCSX2: works perfectly

Retroarch: Seems to work perfectly on genesis-plus-core, but loads into the game startup video on the mednafen-saturn core, before the startup screen disapears

Demul: works perfectly

Pause Screens:

ePSXe: works perfectly

Mesen: works perfectly

PPSSPP: works perfectly

No$GBA: doesn't show at all

Dolphin: again, it shows, but the rescaling of the emulator messes up the scaling of the pause screen.

Project64: works perfectly

Snes9x: works perfectly

PCSX2: works perfectly

Retroarch: works perfectly

Demul: works perfectly

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

So after playing with the settings, I have managed to find settings that work and make most of this a perfect experience, with the exception for ePSXe and Dolphin (of which I will try find a work around later) and No$Gba which i feel is probably a seperate issue for some reason? Any ideas?

Hopefully these will help some people and maybe can be made into autosettings in future updates.

Here are my findings:

Project64: You must turn on 'Aggressive Startup Window Hiding' to get rid of flash and delay it to 4.5 seconds.

Snes9x: Delay it to 1.5 seconds to avoid rom laoding with startup screen still there.

PPSSPP: Delay it to 1.5 seconds to avoid rom laoding with startup screen still there.

Mesen: Delay it to 2 seconds to avoid rom laoding with startup screen still there.

Retroarch: Delay it to 1 second to avoid rom laoding with startup screen still there.

Edited by 7ank0v1c
wrong info

8 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

So after playing with the settings, I have managed to find settings that work and make most of this a perfect experience, with the exception for ePSXe and Dolphin (of which I will try find a work around later) and No$Gba which i feel is probably a seperate issue for some reason? Any ideas?

Hopefully these will help some people and maybe can be made into autosettings in future updates.

Here are my findings:

Project64: You must turn on 'Aggressive Startup Window Hiding' to get rid of flash and delay it to 4.5 seconds.

Snes9x: Delay it to 1.5 seconds to avoid rom laoding with startup screen still there.

PPSSPP: Delay it to 1.5 seconds to avoid rom laoding with startup screen still there.

Mesen: Delay it to 2 seconds to avoid rom laoding with startup screen still there.

Retroarch: Delay it to 1 second to avoid rom laoding with startup screen still there.

The problem with default times though is that everyones system is different. Emulator startup time is dependent on your CPU/HDD speeds, so there is no one size fits all.

Just now, neil9000 said:

The problem with default times though is that everyones system is different. Emulator startup time is dependent on your CPU/HDD speeds, so there is no one size fits all.

Oh rite, I guess that makes sense... that was pointless then haha ?

1 minute ago, 7ank0v1c said:

Not pointless. Many users do not know to adjust that timing. So it is helpful to show people adjusting it can affect the performance of the feature. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

17 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Not pointless. Many users do not know to adjust that timing. So it is helpful to show people adjusting it can affect the performance of the feature. 

Yeah, not pointless at all, its just that timings will vary for everyone depending on there hardware, but knowing where and how to adjust those settings is half the battle.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I‘ve been playing around with the Supermodel emulator lately.

Pause Screen only works as intended if the emulator is set to the native screen resolution. 1920x1080 in my case. I can not use the emulator in that resolution though because the picture is too large and too wide then. I am using 640 x 480.

The emulator still gets paused but the pause screen doesn‘t show up. You can use it but you are not able to see the pause screen menue. If you force the pause screen to show up within launchbox then you will get a freeze.

Thank you!

Edited by InspectorGadget

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 12:06 PM, InspectorGadget said:

I‘ve been playing around with the Supermodel emulator lately.

Pause Screen only works as intended if the emulator is set to the native screen resolution. 1920x1080 in my case. I can not use the emulator in that resolution though because the picture is too large and too wide then. I am using 640 x 480.

The emulator still gets paused but the pause screen doesn‘t show up. You can use it but you are not able to see the pause screen menue. If you force the pause screen to show up within launchbox then you will get a freeze.

Thank you!

Try right clicking the Supermodel EXE and selecting Compatibility tab and Check the box next to Disable Display Scaling At High DPI Settings. This may fix your 1920x1080 problem. I don't use pause screens so I can't help with that.

14 hours ago, JamesBond@ge said:

Try right clicking the Supermodel EXE and selecting Compatibility tab and Check the box next to Disable Display Scaling At High DPI Settings. This may fix your 1920x1080 problem. I don't use pause screens so I can't help with that.

Thank you!

With that setting I can  run Supermodel in 1080p now and get a proper image.
Pause screens still doesn't work though. Maybe because of the suggested "Disable Display Scaling at High DPI settings"? Pause screen behavior is the same like before.

In addition the analog stick controls got screwed now (tested with Star Wars Trilogy Arcade). The crosshair is not centered and reacts weirdly. I am using the Raphnet WUSBmote adapter along with the Wii Classic Controller Pro. The controller was calibrated in Windows and works with all other emulators. Calibrating it in the Star Wars Trilogy service menue didn't solve this issue. Any suggestions?

I guess I have to stick with 640 x 480 for now.

2 hours ago, InspectorGadget said:

Thank you!

With that setting I can  run Supermodel in 1080p now and get a proper image.
Pause screens still doesn't work though. Maybe because of the suggested "Disable Display Scaling at High DPI settings"? Pause screen behavior is the same like before.

In addition the analog stick controls got screwed now (tested with Star Wars Trilogy Arcade). The crosshair is not centered and reacts weirdly. I am using the Raphnet WUSBmote adapter along with the Wii Classic Controller Pro. The controller was calibrated in Windows and works with all other emulators. Calibrating it in the Star Wars Trilogy service menue didn't solve this issue. Any suggestions?

I guess I have to stick with 640 x 480 for now.

What version of the emulator are you using. I have no issues with Pause screens. I do run it at 1080p though. 

37 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

What version of the emulator are you using. I have no issues with Pause screens. I do run it at 1080p though. 

Thanks. Do you run it with that compatibility box checked like JamesBond@ge suggested?

I'm using EMUCR r783 x64.

To make it clear:

Pause Screens WORK when I set the Supermodel emulator to 1080p - BUT WITHOUT right clicking the Supermodel.exe, selecting Compatibility tab and checking the box next to Disable Display Scaling At High DPI Settings (as suggested above from JamesBond@ge). If I don't check that box the picture is too big / cropped though (tested with Star Wars Trilogy Arcade).

If I DO check that Compatibility tab box, then the picture is fine but Pause Screens DON'T WORK (won't show up / crash when I force them to appear). And I get that weird analog stick issue I described in my last post.

42 minutes ago, InspectorGadget said:

Thanks. Do you run it with that compatibility box checked like JamesBond@ge suggested?

I'm using EMUCR r783 x64.

To make it clear:

Pause Screens WORK when I set the Supermodel emulator to 1080p - BUT WITHOUT right clicking the Supermodel.exe, selecting Compatibility tab and checking the box next to Disable Display Scaling At High DPI Settings (as suggested above from JamesBond@ge). If I don't check that box the picture is too big / cropped though (tested with Star Wars Trilogy Arcade).

If I DO check that Compatibility tab box, then the picture is fine but Pause Screens DON'T WORK (won't show up / crash when I force them to appear). And I get that weird analog stick issue I described in my last post.

I have set up both r777 and r783. Video setting is just set to 1920x1080 and neither have compatibility checked. 

25 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I have set up both r777 and r783. Video setting is just set to 1920x1080 and neither have compatibility checked. 

Makes sense. Pause screens work for me too in that scenario.

What I don't understand is why your picture seems to NOT be cropped / too big with Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (I guess this is the case?).

I will try to fiddle around with some NVIDIA options.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:14 PM, InspectorGadget said:

Makes sense. Pause screens work for me too in that scenario.

What I don't understand is why your picture seems to NOT be cropped / too big with Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (I guess this is the case?).

I will try to fiddle around with some NVIDIA options.

Both issues solved!

Image was too large and cropped with 1920 x 1080 because Windows 10 was set to the recommended 150% scaling. If set to 100% the picture is fine. Checking the mentioned box at the compatibility tab gives the same result but it makes pause screens invisible like I said. So setting Windows 10 to 100% is the way to go at the moment.

The analog stick issue was solved by simply deleting mouse controls from the Supermodel.ini file.

I can use pause screens now as intended yeah :D

But setting Supermodel to your native screen resolution seems to be a must.