LaunchBox Community Forums

The Great Emulator Coverage Thread

Jason Carr

7 minutes ago, TheNewClassics said:

I've checked just about all of mine, and have had good results. I can confirm that on my setup the following emulators work with both Startup Screens and Pause Screens:

Cemu, Citra, Cxbx Reloaded, Dolphin, MAME, Mupen64plus, PCSX2, RA, RPCS3, Xenia, Yuzu

Awesome, all updated.

FYI, pause screens for DOSBox have been fixed for beta 7 (at least for me) with an AutoHotkey script. DOSBox's problem was that it automatically exits fullscreen mode when leaving the window, so I simply added a script to press Alt+Enter to put it back in fullscreen mode on resume. If anyone else can test to ensure it works on their systems as well, I'd appreciate it. It should work both for built-in DOSBox support and if you create a DOSBox emulator. I'm afraid it probably won't work for eXoDOS yet though since it uses batch files.

It's also worth noting that this might be the issue for some other emulators, so you could try putting in a script to send key the fullscreen keyboard combination on resume. Let us know if you find something that works. :)

7 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Pinball Fx2:

Startup - working

Pause - working

Pinball Fx3 :

Startup - working

Pause - working

Thanks, updated. We did have one report of FX2 not working properly with the pause screens, so I've marked that as conflicted.

PCSX2:

Startup - Working

Pause - Working

PPSSPP:

Startup - Working

Pause - Works, but the emulator exits full screen when invoking pause.

Raine:

Startup - Working

Pause - Working

RPCS3:

Startup - Working

Pause - Not Working (Only works 10% of the time for me)

Edited by Omen
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Omen said:

PCSX2:

Startup - Working

Pause - Working

PPSSPP:

Startup - Working

Pause - Works, but the emulator exits full screen when invoking pause.

Raine:

Startup - Working

Pause - Working

RPCS3:

Startup - Working

Pause - Not Working (Only works 10% of the time for me)

Thanks much, all updated. Per PPSSPP, we probably just need to add an AutoHotkey script on resume to call whatever key combination puts the emulator back into fullscreen mode. Also, I've already had two reports that RPCS3 is working properly with the pause screens, so try playing with the settings a bit to see if you can get it working, and let me know if you can. I've marked it as Conflicted Reports in the table in the mean time.

• Like 1

I just marked Sega Model 2 Emulator, Project64, and VisualBoyAdvance-M as fully working in the table, as they all work great now with the new option to disable forceful activation.

Going forward, when reporting testing results, if you can report whether you're using forceful activation or not, that would be helpful. Thanks guys. :)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Also, I've already had two reports that RPCS3 is working properly with the pause screens

Your right RPCS3 works, I tried other games and it works perfectly. Its just very delayed with one game, but works if I just let it sit for a few seconds.

Edit: I'm using forceful activation on every emulator I've reported so far.

Edited by Omen
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Omen said:

Your right RPCS3 works, I tried other games and it works perfectly. Its just very delayed with one game, but works if I just let it sit for a few seconds.

Edit: I'm using forceful activation on every emulator I've reported so far.

Great, updated. Yeah, forceful activation enabled does seem to be the best bet, and it's the default for unknown emulators. It's best to try it that way first, and if it doesn't work (locks up the emulator or something like that), try turning it off.

• Like 1

Just test Dolphin with the default settings and forceful activation enabled in launchbox, and the pause screens work but if you pause it a few time it will stop working. Ill do more testing and change setting and see if it helps, because ive also noticed it happen in retroarch as well in beta 11.

Edited by ea4492

On 5/4/2019 at 12:25 AM, ea4492 said:

Just test Dolphin with the default settings and forceful activation enabled in launchbox, and the pause screens work but if you pause it a few time it will stop working. Ill do more testing and change setting and see if it helps, because ive also noticed it happen in retroarch as well in beta 11.

I haven't experienced any lockups with Dolphin, and we've had quite a few reports of it working without issues. Same with Retroarch. Sadly I'm wondering if maybe it's bad drivers on your end, or something of that nature. Are you running Windows 7 or 10?

36 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I haven't experienced any lockups with Dolphin, and we've had quite a few reports of it working without issues. Same with Retroarch. Sadly I'm wondering if maybe it's bad drivers on your end, or something of that nature. Are you running Windows 7 or 10?

I'm running windows 10, but bigbox is running off an external 1tb 7200rmp drive, so that might be it, but I'll do some tests. 

• Like 1

All launching in LB (will double check BB as well) - As of Beta 13

Daphne:
Startup - Works (single screen).  For single screen seems to work okay.  On dual screen setup, kicks the loading screen to the second monitor when emulator changes resolution.
Pause - Broken - With Forceful on: Loses focus, doesn't pause game (sound playing). Sometimes it drops back to desktop with emulator still running. Have to alt tab back. Forceful off: doesn't lose focus but doesn't pause.

The Pinball Arcade (with TPAFreeCamMod launcher)
Startup - Works.
Pause - Broken.  Doesn't pause with/without Forceful on.  Loses focus.  Interestingly, causes XBOX One Controller to vibrate while paused.  ? Causes TPA to come out of fullscreen.

Pinball FX3 (dual screen setup/cabinet code)
Startup - Works
Pause - Broken. Pauses game.  But on resume loses focus on primary screen back to desktop (program still running).  Second screen (backglass) remains.  Have to Alt Tab to get back to primary (plus hit the resume within FX3 menu).  Same with/without Forceful.

Visual Pinball (X) (dual screen setup running B2S for backglass)
Startup - Works
Pause - Works

Future Pinball (with BAM, Dual Screen)
Startup - Works
Pause - Broken.  No pause. Brings up menu and focus remains but game continues to run in BG (with Forceful). Without forceful does nothing, no menu, no pause.

Future Pinball (without BAM)
Startup - Works
Pause - Broken.  No pause. No menu. Same with/without Forceful.   Edit: Works as long as no AHK preloader and not using BAM.  Forceful must be on.

AppleWin
Startup - Works
Pause - Works (with and without Forceful)
Tried +20 games and all worked (see bundangdon noted issues).  Note also I have a AHK exit commmand of ESC remapped to Alt F4.  I found that if you use ESC with AppleWin in fullscreen mode it doesn't reset screen resolution back to pre-launch.  Sending Alt F4 fixes behaviour.  My command line settings are: -fs-height=1080 -noreg -no-printscreen-dlg -r 32 -d1

Mini vMAC
Startup - Works

Altirra
Startup - Works

Kat5200 (8bit Atari)
Startup - Works
Pause - Works

Steem (Atari ST)
Startup - Works
Pause - Works only with Forceful OFF.  If Forceful ON causes various issues:  Some games will pause but cause to lose focus and move from fullscreen to native resolution. Others will hang and crash LB/BB.  If hit pause during loading crashes/hangs.

Hatari (Atari ST)
Startup - Works
Pause - Works only with Forceful OFF. If Forceful ON causes menu to move around each time paused (two positions). Otherwise works (Pause, keeps focus).

ScummVM (2.0)
Startup - Works, use Aggressive OFF or drops momentarily to desktop view before VM launches
Pause - Broken.  No pause. No menu. Same with/without Forceful.

ePSX
Startup - Works
Pause - Works only with Forceful OFF. If Forceful ON causes screen loss of focus on pause and difficult to get back even with ALT Tab. Had to hard terminate most times.

MAME
Startup - Works
Pause - Works
Odd Controller Issue: With an XBOX One Controller.  If assign Automation buttons Left Shoulder (Button 5 HOLD) and Start (Button 7) brings up MAME menu (tab) along with pause.  When hit resume in Pause menu returns but now MAME menu is up and have to tab out to exit MAME menu.  If assign another button besides those two, no issues.  No AHK or Steam running so weird.  
Oddly, with same assignments above if hit the LEFT and RIGHT Shoulder (5 and 6) it Pauses but no menu even though in Automation assignment Button 6 isn't even assigned.

Edit: was issue on my end with Pause key and UI Menu Key bound to keys on controller causing conflict.

Edited by sundogak
  • Unusual Gem 1