LaunchBox Community Forums

9.9-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

19 hours ago, jayjay said:

oh yeah eh... sorry i meant... to be able to have the pause menu show that there is a save state available for the game that is currently playing... would mean matching save state to the rom... that essay above is what iv found so far... sorry Im trying to code but nothing is going right. Getting frustrated. Rushed the comment, made no sense. lol. just breath...

It was very helpful for me. I understood it. Thanks again @jayjay. :)

Yeah I'm sure there are some that are difficult to get to, but the most common and popular ones seem to have save slots that are not that evasive.  I have all my systems covered through using mame, retroarch, dolphin, and mednafen.  All those key presses were easy to set up except I think dolphin was too hard to get to the next slot.  it's too bad the RL people won't just partner up so this, and key mapping can be done and over with.   Then as far as I'm concerned, front end domination will have had occured.

28 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

it's too bad the RL people won't just partner up so this, and key mapping can be done and over with

You keep mentioning this and it's a moot point. The whole point of RL is to be frontend independent and support all of them. All of the code for RL is open so there's nothing stopping Jason from looking at or using it so there's no need for collaboration anyway.

It boils down to how Jason wants to implement things which is likely different from how RL does, which is completely understandable.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Agent47 said:

You keep mentioning this and it's a moot point. The whole point of RL is to be frontend independent and support all of them. All of the code for RL is open so there's nothing stopping Jason from looking at or using it so there's no need for collaboration anyway.

It boils down to how Jason wants to implement things which is likely different from how RL does, which is completely understandable.

Well I wasn't aware it was open, so sorry lol.  I thought they were holding their methods close, hence the post on their forums a long time ago by Jason asking if there were ways in which they could collaborate.  That made me think it was tightly wrapped up. 

Yeah sure it boils down to that, but I wouldn't say that means re-invent the wheel, the last two components (the only reason most people even have to still use RL) of complete front end domination are on the horizon, and already exist.

Yes, it's open. Everything is in your RL/Lib directory. That's how people, like myself, have been modifying things. If it were closed source that wouldn't be possible.

IIRC the post you mention was about Jason inquiring about the licensing, including RL in the LB download and making a new UI (which he didn't need permission for but was a nice gesture/courtesy).

Regarding implementation, it's not as simple as just copy/pasting RL code. For one, that would mean using AHK rather or porting/implementing it to C# and doing it natively. Since Jason is the sole dev and it's closed source it's his sole burden to maintain it. That means figuring out the best way to work it into the existing codebase, allow for expansion and ease of maintenance going forward. It seems simple to end users but if you're a dev you know different.

Natively handling control mapping for everything in LB would be a very hefty thing to do, it's not simple. Utilizing standalone keymapping software would be pretty easy to do via a plugin or script.

And of course, everyone tends to think their requests are super important and/or wanted by most, whether that's the case or not. In the end, I'm sure Jason will tackle a bunch but it comes down to prioritizing what is easiest/most requested to implement.

• Like 2

I should prob refrain from posting when I choose coding over sleep. Just gone 8.30pm and Iv just got out of bed ?.

18 hours ago, bbweiners said:

Haha, you're the best @jayjay

That list of plugin idea's I gave you, you finished them yet. haha. 

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks for sharing all that research. I figured it would likely be annoying, to say the least. I believe the best idea currently is to just take a screenshot of the screen before taking the save state, which would be a rough way to determine if a save state exists, and could be done (mostly) generically across emulators. There are several problems though, one being that the screenshot wouldn't match the timing of the save state perfectly, and another being that if the save state failed for some reason, it would still report it as successful with the screenshot. So it really is a mess.

Even still, I probably will come back to this to tackle it at a later date, but it will be a while yet.

I think you should try match roms to save states, cant be any worse than pause menu... haha. Anyway on a more serious note. Have you found a method to determine if a game is launched through the emulator ui. If not, when you do come back to this would you consider adding the option to disable this feature, maybe on an emulator basis... please... Seems whenever I ask for anything its usually to disable something. ?

For what it's worth, @Agent47 is spot on with just about everything above. Thanks for that. :)

20 hours ago, jayjay said:

I think you should try match roms to save states, cant be any worse than pause menu... haha. Anyway on a more serious note. Have you found a method to determine if a game is launched through the emulator ui. If not, when you do come back to this would you consider adding the option to disable this feature, maybe on an emulator basis... please... Seems whenever I ask for anything its usually to disable something. ?

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be back to save states at some point. What particular features did you want to disable?

On 6/13/2019 at 5:35 PM, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be back to save states at some point. What particular features did you want to disable?

I dont know how to double quote your comments but on the page before you said...

"I believe the best idea currently is to just take a screenshot of the screen before taking the save state".

Disable this feature per platform when you come to it.

EDIT: please. 

Edited by jayjay
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

Not sure what it is..but most of my MAME uses v0.155 to where now anything using that no longer Launches. I'd hate to go back and figure out what newer versions will actually Launch and play through it or not.

It is known that older version of Mame do not work well with latest updates to Launchbox because they are missing some things that have been put into new version. You will likely need to edit the emulator setup in Launchbox and in the default command line delete the text below:

-keyboardprovider dinput

It was added for the new Pause features so this may affect your ability to use Pause features in Mame. With new features being added to Launchbox and those features are tested on current versions of emulators I would recommend looking to update your roms and Mame to a more recent version. 0.155 is pretty old. 

• Thanks 1

About how far back of MAME does it tend to do this? 0.184 seems to be the next oldest I have which seems fine for all I have set in that version, and I tend to just leave well enough alone as much as possible if a version works for whatever title I have instead of just updating over and over again with everything whenever a newer MAME comes out unless a game is still way too unplayable within reason to update.

10 hours ago, RULLUR said:

About how far back of MAME does it tend to do this? 0.184 seems to be the next oldest I have which seems fine for all I have set in that version, and I tend to just leave well enough alone as much as possible if a version works for whatever title I have instead of just updating over and over again with everything whenever a newer MAME comes out unless a game is still way too unplayable within reason to update.

From what I can tell, it looks like Mame 0.172 is when support for the command line -keyboardprovider was introduced. To be safe though, I'd probably go with 0.173 just in case what I read was off by one release.

Edited by CDBlue
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CDBlue said:

From what I can tell, it looks like Mame 0.172 is when support for the command line -keyboardprovider was introduced. To be safe though, I'd probably go with 0.173 just in case what I read was off by one release.

Seems I got lucky in checking to see how 0.184 does with all my 0.155 stuff, and so far for the most part it seems I may end up trying to gradually go that route. Good to know you checked on how far back things go though.