Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

9.9-beta-1 Released

Recommended Posts

Hey all, the first 9.9 beta is out with the following:

  • Improvement: Launch With in LaunchBox is now in alphabetical order
  • Improvement: Download metadata and media update media verbiage is now more clear
  • Fixed: Several minor one-off/rare VLC errors
  • Fixed: Rare music-related null reference exceptions
  • Fixed: Pause Themes Manager in Big Box was not working correctly to apply new pause themes

My plan is to put out a bugfix release here shortly. There's really nothing all that glaring, sans for the pause themes manager thing, which basically breaks the pause themes manager, so I figure it'd be best to get that fixed sooner rather than later.

Let me know how this beta fares. :)

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For platform videos in BigBox:

- When you hover over a menu, video of a random game from that list normally plays, but it doesn't if it's an auto-populated playlist.

- To make BigBox play a video, you must have a "Platform Equals" condition, but the video it plays is not from the playlist, but rather ANYTHING from the platform itself so it is not filtered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hey all, the first 9.9 beta is out with the following:

  • Improvement: Launch With in LaunchBox is now in alphabetical order
  • Improvement: Download metadata and media update media verbiage is now more clear
  • Fixed: Several minor one-off/rare VLC errors
  • Fixed: Rare music-related null reference exceptions
  • Fixed: Pause Themes Manager in Big Box was not working correctly to apply new pause themes

My plan is to put out a bugfix release here shortly. There's really nothing all that glaring, sans for the pause themes manager thing, which basically breaks the pause themes manager, so I figure it'd be best to get that fixed sooner rather than later.

Let me know how this beta fares. :)

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your hard work, just an idea, I use it with RocketLauncher and I miss in some situations the option to skip romcheck, so instead of check if the rom file exist, it goes directly to rocketlauncher, would you consider it?

Thanks anyway!

Edited by pinda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Havnt installed this beta yet, but holly crap, 9.9 already, were almost at the 10th release. I hope something special comes with this release. 😮

Edited by ea4492
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ea4492 said:

Havnt installed this beta yet, but holly crap, 9.9 already, were almost at the 10th release. I hope something special comes with this release. 😮

Time goes by so fast, and so much stuff went on and improved... Seems like yesterday when the BigBox concept started to appear in LB 5.0...
And if you think about it, each LB/BB version number hast 10 revisions inside, so it will be reaching 100 releases in 10.0!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good to me. One commend on the pause screen - it would be useful if there was some indication on that screen as to whether there was a save game or not, rather than having to remember or guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ea4492 said:

Havnt installed this beta yet, but holly crap, 9.9 already, were almost at the 10th release. I hope something special comes with this release. 😮

Yeah, and this came out early on Monday. Makes me think Jason worked even on the weekends... I hope he doesn't overwork himself.

Such a great app that just keeps on giving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ZeSystem said:

Makes me think Jason worked even on the weekends

Don't tell his wife.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ZeSystem said:

For platform videos in BigBox:

- When you hover over a menu, video of a random game from that list normally plays, but it doesn't if it's an auto-populated playlist.

- To make BigBox play a video, you must have a "Platform Equals" condition, but the video it plays is not from the playlist, but rather ANYTHING from the platform itself so it is not filtered.

I think this was originally done to fix a performance issue, though I agree that it's not ideal. I'll put it on the list.

18 hours ago, pinda said:

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your hard work, just an idea, I use it with RocketLauncher and I miss in some situations the option to skip romcheck, so instead of check if the rom file exist, it goes directly to rocketlauncher, would you consider it?

Thanks anyway!

I see; is there a reason why Rocket Launcher would work properly with missing files?

3 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Looking good to me. One commend on the pause screen - it would be useful if there was some indication on that screen as to whether there was a save game or not, rather than having to remember or guess.

Sadly, that would be a mess to implement because every emulator of course implements save states differently. The best option would be to add (yet again) more AutoHotkey scripts for that, and they would end up being too complicated in most cases for people to come up with the scripts. We could take a guess whether a save state "worked" or not, but that would be iffy at best.

1 hour ago, ZeSystem said:

Yeah, and this came out early on Monday. Makes me think Jason worked even on the weekends... I hope he doesn't overwork himself.

Hehehe, not usually. I'm all good over here (actually didn't really work at all over the weekend). A lot of it was done late last week.

Thanks all; I'm currently taking a couple of days to work on Music Box Alpha, which has metadata/tag editing just about done. Assuming this beta continues to go smoothly, we'll probably put out the official in the next day or two. :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beta 2 is out now to attempt to fix an issue with the updated game exit AutoHotkey script. It's only been reported by one user so far, but it's a major issue for @MazJohn [Mr Arcade]. The issue is detailed in this thread:

Hopefully this beta fixes it and we can go forward with the 9.9 release.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 8:01 PM, Jason Carr said:

I see; is there a reason why Rocket Launcher would work properly with missing files?

Well, yes, I have some modules for PS3, Wii U Mugen for example, and some other systems, that RocketLauncher cant do a properly audit because you have folders instead of rom files, with the skip romcheck option it just load the game fine, if in RocketLauncher you try to check the rom file in those systems you just get an error, the same happens in LaunchBox, so if it goes it goes directly to rocketlauncher it will work just fine with LaunchBox as HyperSpin for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pinda said:

Well, yes, I have some modules for PS3, Wii U Mugen for example, and some other systems, that RocketLauncher cant do a properly audit because you have folders instead of rom files, with the skip romcheck option it just load the game fine, if in RocketLauncher you try to check the rom file in those systems you just get an error, the same happens in LaunchBox, so if it goes it goes directly to rocketlauncher it will work just fine with LaunchBox as HyperSpin for example.

I see. I believe there should be ways to get all those systems working with actual valid files in LaunchBox (per @neil9000), but I can see that option being useful. I'll add it to my list, but it might be a while before I get to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pinda said:

Well, yes, I have some modules for PS3, Wii U Mugen for example, and some other systems, that RocketLauncher cant do a properly audit because you have folders instead of rom files, with the skip romcheck option it just load the game fine, if in RocketLauncher you try to check the rom file in those systems you just get an error, the same happens in LaunchBox, so if it goes it goes directly to rocketlauncher it will work just fine with LaunchBox as HyperSpin for example.

Yeah, Launchbox works differently to Rocketlauncher and those sort of workarounds are not really needed. Wii U for example you just import the .rpx files as the roms, for mugen i believe you import the game mod.exe and use the standard mugen.exe as the emulator, or straight up launch the game mod.exe like a normal windows game with no emulator associated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just put out the 9.9 official release. I definitely advise updating sooner rather than later, as I noticed that I did break some startup and pause screen things with the previous beta.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah, Launchbox works differently to Rocketlauncher and those sort of workarounds are not really needed. Wii U for example you just import the .rpx files as the roms, for mugen i believe you import the game mod.exe and use the standard mugen.exe as the emulator, or straight up launch the game mod.exe like a normal windows game with no emulator associated.

Yup, I understand that always there is a workaround or a different way to configure something, but I noticed that it may be simplier or easier for some systems configure it that way, so if LaunchBox could handle the folders avoiding the romcheck, I guess it will be positive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pinda said:

Yup, I understand that always there is a workaround or a different way to configure something, but I noticed that it may be simplier or easier for some systems configure it that way, so if LaunchBox could handle the folders avoiding the romcheck, I guess it will be positive.

Just wanted to chime in...  as far MUGEN goes I did away with rocketlauncher by creating shortcuts to each games' executable. Time consuming but works fine. You could actually import the exe itself but I had a little too much to drink that evening. I do however use RL to run Pinball Arcade for individual table selection and OpenBor.

So take OpenBor for example, just make sure it is setup and runs in RLUI first. OpenBor set as emulator along with OpenBor module, rompath, etc... (skip checks set to 'Rom and Emu')  Each game has its own folder but also a matching empty text file with the same name (if not create them). Import the txt files as roms in launchbox, set rocketlauncher as emulator and you are good to go.

Edited by drewjbx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Could be just me but since upgrading to 9.9 when I start LB sometimes it unchecks the game details or platform views on its own, meaning I have to manually enable them again. It typically happens after a PC restart but cannot accurately be reproduced. Seems random. 

Did that happen to anyone else before?

Edited by Thornback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 12:21 PM, Retrofrogg said:

Looking good to me. One commend on the pause screen - it would be useful if there was some indication on that screen as to whether there was a save game or not, rather than having to remember or guess.

Wait a second, you mean to tell me launchbox doesn't show you whether or not there is a save game in the save slot you have selected under the pause screen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you turn on and off game startup screens per platform?  I only really need to use it for dolphin at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...