LaunchBox Community Forums

Best Dreamcast Emulator for Windows?

7ank0v1c

Redream is pretty good overall, you can't upscale unless you buy the $5 license though. Demul is the most compatible but it's kind of old and clunky in my opinion. The Reicast core for Retroarch it's also a decent option, I use it myself for everything Dreamcast related that it's not WinCE (gotta go with Demul for that).

• Thanks 1

To follow up with what Suhrvivor just mentioned, Redream is your best choice as it emulates about 85% of the Dreamcast library almost flawlessly even on older, slower pc systems. For the other 15% I use the reicast/flycast cores in Retroarch. Nulldc and Demul are good too although a bit more of a hassle to set up

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Now known as flycast. ;)

8 hours ago, bundangdon said:

To follow up with what Suhrvivor just mentioned, Redream is your best choice as it emulates about 85% of the Dreamcast library almost flawlessly even on older, slower pc systems. For the other 15% I use the reicast/flycast cores in Retroarch. Nulldc and Demul are good too although a bit more of a hassle to set up

17 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

Redream is pretty good overall, you can't upscale unless you buy the $5 license though. Demul is the most compatible but it's kind of old and clunky in my opinion. The Reicast core for Retroarch it's also a decent option, I use it myself for everything Dreamcast related that it's not WinCE (gotta go with Demul for that).

Thanks guys, I just found out you can buy an SD card adaptor for the dreamcast which allows you to dump your own games, so I bought one. I however noticed there wasnt one obvious emulator to go for, like there is for the gamecube and the playstation 2, So thanks a bunch ☺️

While Demul can be more troublesome to setup it still at this point is the best DC emulator. It also covers a few different Arcade boards (Naomi Naomi 2 Sammy Atomiswave Sega Hikaru Gaelco and Cave stuff) so if you are going to bother to set them up anyway you might as well use if for DC also.

• Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

8 hours ago, 7ank0v1c said:

I however noticed there wasnt one obvious emulator to go for

Yup, this is the state of DC emulation as it is right now.

If you want the most coverage and technically "the best" then as @DOS76 said, Demul is the one to use.

Redream is great and is very simple to setup (no bios required) but does cost 5$ to get the resolution scaling and still doesn't support WinCE games or anything outside of Dreamcast. (As far as I am aware of at the time of this post)

The Flycast core in Retroarch is somewhere in between, it's free, relative easy to setup (you still need bios) and does have resolution scaling and WinCE support. It does support Naomi but none of the other stuff that Demul supports.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yup, this is the state of DC emulation as it is right now.

If you want the most coverage and technically "the best" then as @DOS76 said, Demul is the one to use.

Redream is great and is very simple to setup (no bios required) but does cost 5$ to get the resolution scaling and still doesn't support WinCE games or anything outside of Dreamcast. (As far as I am aware of at the time of this post)

The Flycast core in Retroarch is somewhere in between, it's free, relative easy to setup (you still need bios) and does have resolution scaling and WinCE support. It does support Naomi but none of the other stuff that Demul supports.

To be honest its only dreamcast games I want to emulate out of all demul has to offer currently, plus I dont mind paying the $5 as it works out to be £4 for me and that isnt much considering. Demul is a pain I find, I managed to set it up but it is just so needy haha. Already just testing redream a little though, it just feels better, oh and I like the fact you don't need a bios.

On that note however, would you happen to know how to dump/rip my own bios from a dreamcast using the SD card adaptors by any chance? I didn't do much research yet, but just if you knew of the top of your head, or anyone else reading this?

Edited by 7ank0v1c

I don't know what I did but my dreamcast games stop working in retroarch with reicast. I guess I updated the cores. I never touched any file. 
When I try to load a game, it goes to the home screen of the dreamcast. My games are in gdi.

Now, I updated retroarch to v1.7.7 and Reicast don’t appear in the list of cores anymore.

I think it has been replaced by flycast. 

So, now I have the following cores reicast (0.1 bd64deb) and flycast (0.1 d60140f) and none work.

Is any of you encountering the same problem?

I need to do more backups. 

Edited by Flope

Just FYI, I found an old backup. I did not update the reicast core, it is the same.

Copying the core over did not work. However, replacing the whole retroarch worked. So, some other file got modified. Some config file? I guess I need to figure out which one.

Edited by Flope

2 minutes ago, Flope said:

Just FYI, I found an old backup. I did not update the reicast core, it is the same.

Copying the core over did not work. However, replacing the whole retroarch worked. So, some other file got modified. Some config file? I guess I need to figure out which one.

Just use Flycast, its the same core with a different name.

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Just use Flycast, its the same core with a different name.

It fails too. So, I am assuming it must be something in some config file causing the problem. Both load the Dreamcast home screen instead of the game. 

4 minutes ago, Flope said:

It fails too. So, I am assuming it must be something in some config file causing the problem. Both load the Dreamcast home screen instead of the game. 

What format are your games? If you are getting the Dreamcast bios that is likely because your games are the wrong format/bad dumps that the emulator can not read.

Thanks for the help.

gdi. 

I checked the checksums of the bios too for sanity check, just in case I did something to them by mistake. I also compared the bios and reicast core from a few months old backup. All the same.

With same bios and games, the same reicast core worked a few weeks back. That is why I am thinking it must be some config file. I am quite puzzled cos the only things that I have been changing are bazels.

So, replacing the retroarch from the backup solved that specific issue.  However, If I go back to that old backup I will be losing a lot of other things. 

I will try to check the dreamcast config file.

Edited by Flope