LaunchBox Community Forums

Lambda beta, a modern Windows style Launchbox theme. Worth releasing as beta? (Screenshots)

2 hours ago, shadowfire said:

So what's the best procedure? Should I DM Jason the RC  or will he evaluate it when I upload it to the theme section?

@neil9000 is good at breaking....err I mean testing. ?

I have a few cabinets with different monitor aspect ratios, resolutions and scaling. 

If you post on the forum for release it just gets posted. As far as I know Jason tests BigBox themes as there is a way to submit them so they can be directly downloaded from within BigBox. The thing with the LB theme would be to mainly make sure the license name is visible and cannot be hidden. I do not recall seeing Jason really test or at least post that he tested LaunchBox themes.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 3:19 PM, Retro808 said:

I have a few cabinets with different monitor aspect ratios, resolutions and scaling. 

From my own testing the theme isn't too suitable for legacy 4:3 / 3:4 resolutions but could work if you hide the details bar and/or sidebar. (The theme assumes a modernish desktop; enough horizontal space is required to display al the panels and the details bar needs enough vertical space for all three segments.)

The screenshots are made on 1600x900 btw.

Edited by shadowfire

20 minutes ago, shadowfire said:

From my own testing the theme isn't too suitable for legacy 4:3 / 3:4 resolutions but could work if you hide the details bar and/or sidebar. (The theme assumes a modernish desktop; enough horizontal space is required to display al the panels and the details bar needs enough vertical space for all three segments.)

The screenshots are made on 1600x900 btw.

Even the default theme does not look good on 4:3 as you have to minimize much of the data/images on the screen to fit. A LB theme to look good would need a relocation of views to really work well on that aspect ratio. My 4:3 cabinets usually run BigBox, but I usually test things on that 4:3 as well just to provide any feedback if possible.

9 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Even the default theme does not look good on 4:3 as you have to minimize much of the data/images on the screen to fit. A LB theme to look good would need a relocation of views to really work well on that aspect ratio. My 4:3 cabinets usually run BigBox, but I usually test things on that 4:3 as well just to provide any feedback if possible.

Sure, the theme working on 4:3 would be a nice to have, but as you mentioned full support would mean rewriting the way the views are handled.

But come to think of it, with exception of the details panel this theme might be a bit more lenient on vertical space since I removed the title bar and reduced the button bar height. Also the font size and style is inherited from the OS settings (in case you use small fonts there) and the details fan art image on top right can be turned off which saves some vertical space. So with a bit of tweaking (e.g. boxes sizes and spacing) it may work. Let me know how it works out. 

22 minutes ago, shadowfire said:

Sure, the theme working on 4:3 would be a nice to have, but as you mentioned full support would mean rewriting the way the views are handled.

But come to think of it, with exception of the details panel this theme might be a bit more lenient on vertical space since I removed the title bar and reduced the button bar height. Also the font size and style is inherited from the OS settings (in case you use small fonts there) and the details fan art image on top right can be turned off which saves some vertical space. So with a bit of tweaking (e.g. boxes sizes and spacing) it may work. Let me know how it works out. 

Will do. Looking forward to checking it out.

11 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Will do. Looking forward to checking it out.

Did a test just now, I can get away with showing all panels in 800x600 (font size 9) on my system if I hide some stuff in the details panel. (Slight spacing issue in the button bar but that may be fixable.)

Greenshot-2020-04-14_12-37-21.thumb.png.8f25b206b49f20ceb94527476b3feab9.png

Edited by shadowfire
Button bar doesn't show all audio controls
  • Like 1

oh wow. excellent theme. very minimal and clean looking with maximimum real estate for game boxes. I especially like a lack of scrolling on the details panel and the integrated fan art or whatever. My only concern would be if it chops text off in certain place/at certain times/on certain views, under the game, boxes but it looks solid and I hope you release it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nullgolem said:

oh wow. excellent theme. very minimal and clean looking with maximimum real estate for game boxes. I especially like a lack of scrolling on the details panel and the integrated fan art or whatever. My only concern would be if it chops text off in certain place/at certain times/on certain views, under the game, boxes but it looks solid and I hope you release it

The text spacing such as in the box is easily remedied on user setup by adjusting the spacing in Launchbox's options. >Tools>Options in the Boxes >Spacing section you can adjust as needed.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:15 PM, nullgolem said:

Thanks, yeah that's what I was going for :)

As for Details, only the centre row (description, screenshots etc.) scrolls. The other rows resize dynamically in vertical direction depending on available horizontal space.

Edited by shadowfire

@Retrofrogg, @Tromzy and others: we've finished testing and I'm finalising things for release. The reason why it's taking so long is because I have to squeeze in hours between other projects and on average I've only got a couple of hours per week to work on this. Sorry it's taking this long. I can't make any promises but since I'm almost there it should be available for download soon... 

Edited by shadowfire
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hello. Where can i change the font sizes of the entire theme? Specially the gameinfo text and the systemslists text. Seems very small at 1920x1080.

Other thing is the justify of the gamedetails column .. the text is very close to the margins (1), and the first paragraph is very close to the title (2).

Screenshot_2b.thumb.png.4e015e5e13f69af65c15b1c17bf1b7d7.png

Edited by paQ

13 minutes ago, paQ said:

Hello. Where can i change the font sizes of the entire theme? Specially the gameinfo text and the systemslists text. Seems very small at 1920x1080.

Other thing is the justify of the gamedetails column .. the text is very close to the margins (1), and the first paragraph is very close to the title (2).

Screenshot_2b.thumb.png.4e015e5e13f69af65c15b1c17bf1b7d7.png

You can't, its based on your Windows settings.

• 1 year later...