LaunchBox Community Forums

Lambda beta, a modern Windows style Launchbox theme. Worth releasing as beta? (Screenshots)

Hi everyone, I have one more favour to ask. This theme heavily depends on the Microsoft "Segoe MDL2 Assets" font for it's menus and buttons icons. I'm probably not allowed to redistribute the font due to licensing reasons, however I think it's already preinstalled on Windows but I'm not entirely sure... 

Can anyone check if this is the case?  Windows versions 7/8/10 (I assume no-one runs Launchbox on Vista or below.)

A way to find it is to open up the Control Panel and search for 'Fonts'. Then check if "Segoe MDL2 Assets Regular" is in the list.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting close to a release now. I was thinking, maybe I could do a pre release here so some of you could test the theme for me, see if there isn't anything too wonky in there before I do an official release? (@Jason Carr or moderator: if that's allowed, I know this section isn't meant for theme releases, just want to test the waters.)

• Game On 1

1 hour ago, shadowfire said:

Getting close to a release now. I was thinking, maybe I could do a pre release here so some of you could test the theme for me, see if there isn't anything too wonky in there before I do an official release? (@Jason Carr or moderator: if that's allowed, I know this section isn't meant for theme releases, just want to test the waters.)

It is allowed. You could either post here or PM it to those you want to test. Send me a PM I would not mind testing for you.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shadowfire said:

Ill happily test it if you want to PM it to me.

• Like 1

Jason is far better at testing user content then I am, and has the ultimate say in regards to whether something gets pulled for being non-compliant, but I'll gladly take a look for you as time permits. Is there anything in particular you were hoping to confirm is working or not?

On 4/7/2020 at 3:26 PM, C-Beats said:

Jason is far better at testing user content then I am, and has the ultimate say in regards to whether something gets pulled for being non-compliant, but I'll gladly take a look for you as time permits. Is there anything in particular you were hoping to confirm is working or not?

(Also @neil9000) Mainly overall user experience. As @Retro808 suggested I'm not focussing on a cleaner code as long as it works for the user.

I've only tested the theme on my system (Window 7 1080p) so at least I'd like to see the theme tested on Window 10. A few things to consider:

• Font: the theme uses the default Windows system font, not the font settings in the Launchbox config. I've tested it on several resolutions and font sizes here which works fine so I'd like to see if it's the same on Windows 10 ...maybe Windows 8? (Also because I've read Windows 10 has a different default font size.)
  • Not sure how it will look on 4K resolution.
  • There are a few 'tricks' involved to make the theme look and behave as in the screenshots which I probably should mention in a setup guide.
    E.g. I've added an optional platform line to the boxes (something I wanted for mixed platform playlists) so  the boxes spacing/aspect ratio probably have to be changed in Launchbox settings to make it look right. (I could hardcode it to make it easier for the user but I'm not sure if that's a good idea). Also the theme looks best if the background is set to FanArt with a good amount of blur, with Fanart enabled in Game Details.
  • I haven't been able to test Retro Achievements.
  • There are advanced customisation options which I'll probably keep secret because I don't want to support them ;)
  • Things I have overlooked?

2 minutes ago, shadowfire said:

(Also @neil9000) Mainly overall user experience. As @Retro808 suggested I'm not focussing on a cleaner code as long as it works for the user.

I've only tested the theme on my system (Window 7 1080p) so at least I'd like to see the theme tested on Window 10. A few things to consider:

• Font: the theme uses the default Windows system font, not the font settings in the Launchbox config. I've tested it on several resolutions and font sizes here which works fine so I'd like to see if it's the same on Windows 10 ...maybe Windows 8? (Also because I've read Windows 10 has a different default font size.)
  • Not sure how it will look on 4K resolution.
  • There are a few 'tricks' involved to make the theme look and behave as in the screenshots which I probably should mention in a setup guide.
    E.g. I've added an optional platform line to the boxes (something I wanted for mixed platform playlists) so  the boxes spacing/aspect ratio probably have to be changed in Launchbox settings to make it look right. (I could hardcode it to make it easier for the user but I'm not sure if that's a good idea). Also the theme looks best if the background is set to FanArt with a good amount of blur, with Fanart enabled in Game Details.
  • I haven't been able to test Retro Achievements.
  • There are advanced customisation options which I'll probably keep secret because I don't want to support them ;)
  • Things I have overlooked?

Well i am on Windows 10 on a 4K OLED TV, and i also use Retro Achievements, so looks like im a good candidate to test. ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Well i am on Windows 10 on a 4K OLED TV, and i also use Retro Achievements, so looks like im a good candidate to test. ;) 

Aside from 4K, I assume you're also fine with testing the theme on 1080p? I'm not sure how far I would want to go with 4K support if that turns out to be difficult.

2 minutes ago, shadowfire said:

Aside from 4K, I assume you're also fine with testing the theme on 1080p? I'm not sure how far I would want to go with 4K support if that turns out to be difficult.

Yeah no problems testing at 1080p, also i have my system set to 200% scaling, so everything looks the same size as 1080p anyway, just way sharper.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 3:26 PM, C-Beats said:

Jason is far better at testing user content then I am, and has the ultimate say in regards to whether something gets pulled for being non-compliant.

So what's the best procedure? Should I DM Jason the RC  or will he evaluate it when I upload it to the theme section?