LaunchBox Community Forums

All new Vectrex Box - Front image set

//EDIT// newly added links at bottom of this post.
//EDIT2// added a link to Dragon57s companion sets (awesome stuff).

Hi all. First post, new to Launchbox and Retroarch. Be gentle.

I've been working on a Vectrex image set the last few days, image attached below shows the first 15 or so done, i've actually got 21 done so far and working my way through a full set of 116 (for the roms  have at least). This inludes all originals, most PD, some demos and a few hacks or clones.

What do you think so far? Will there be any interest in this set once i'm done, and i did see a message saying "please post new art to the downloads section" but i'm unsure where that is just yet.

Each new image is 780x1014 (reasons) and has been built from the best sourced images i can find round the webs. These are, for the most part, far better than what is auto downloaded by Launchbox currently and of course fully unified and looking sweet IMNSHO. I'll add 1 full version too so you can see the quality.

Images have been straightened, had corners rounded (on some), dithering, rebuit the edges of screenshots, and rebuilt new transparent logos for most of these. And where nothing exists for a cover, i've taken whatever i can find online and completely built something. See "Birds of Prey" for instance or the "3D Scape Demo" covers.

643116365_LaunchboxVectrex.thumb.png.a9fa6f9279302700fe936923cf5e534b.pngHope the work is worth it. I will complete these, for my own benefit, but felt they were worth sharing or getting some feedback.

Cheers.

Bedlam.png

A 58mb zip of all 280 images is now uploaded to this forums "Downloads" area. Now at v1.3.

I've also uploaded the same zip and all 280 singular files and the readme to my googledrive. That can be found here...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hK-FLANqWD_dLclT82UpYACHikdX4X4f&fbclid=IwAR2InXZyjOWCFOAWEif0pH9TzmyKktyXhkXQgD745ansUhg6rUJt-euD2cs

Please check the readme, especially if you've been following along and enjoy the files.
Simon.

Dragon57s additional packs (really cool to have these as well)

"I just posted a companion art set with hitm4n's permission. Thank you so much for the continued additions to your art. Please don't clutter up this thread with questions about my files. Use the link below and the included comments section."

Edited by hitm4n
Added Dragon57s pack link
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hey Hitm4n! dunno if you remember me? I was a  gametester for Edgar Vidgal years back, helped on Deluxe Pocmon and DotBot. Was looking forward to testing out WarBlade II but sadly that didn't happen....Anyway, welcome to launchbox! I discovered it a few years back and it's awesome! Nice work on the boxart, I'll deffo be grabbing em. Laters :)

I thought i recognised the name, good to see you again. Did me in when Edgar passed, friend for 20 years, nightly chats, miss him a lot.

Yeah, loving Launchbox and Retroarch, i was trying to set up Hyperspin originally, what a logisitical nightmare that is. Read a few reviews of people saying how good and how much simpler (to set up) Launchbox and Retroarch are that i gave it a try.  And like many others i had cores working and roms playing in minutes.

The Vectrex set of images is poor to say the least. Huge gaps, no unity, mismatcing sizes and styles and quality levels. My OCD kicked in and i started working on my own set. Then thought to myself, hey others might like these so jumped on here.

I've done this already for N64 boxfronts too, made a few custom covers there as well to get it all unified. That took a fair while, but its keeping me busy while stuck at home.

Yeah m8, very sad news about Edgar, he was a great games designer and I still enjoy his games toady. Yeah I heard Hyperspin was a nightmare too so I'm glad I chose LB, so easy to set up and use. I have a pretty big collection so I'm always on the lookout for new/updated media, I've posted a quite a few myself over the months, media packs for various systems, missing game logos etc.

Great speaking to you again, take care and keep the media coming....:)

Hyper Chase took a lot of work. The best sourced image was not square on, so the center pic here has had a lot of rotating, cut and pasting, smoothing and cleaning done to get it as original and clean as possible, and straight. Rebuilt the main logo too from a reasonable box image. Was on this one for about 3 hours. Hyperchase.thumb.png.df700f1ea0efdab63fecb30d4db1f94e.pngAnd another overview, now up to 32 pics done.

43517556_VecOverview2.thumb.png.3cf301c1892477f7b0e0207aac63c655.pngMore soon.

• Like 4

Made it to 60 done today. Next 3 to do are the Patriots versions. Going to use a unique logo on each to differentiate them, although the logo for the deluxe version (which i would use for the remix version) is horrible... And i can't find a Patriots III official logo or decent screenshot. Hmmm, what to do... I'll figure something out.

Edited by hitm4n
  • Like 1

Well, i added 14 more roms today from Professor Johannsens 2019 programming class.

http://eitidaten.fh-pforzheim.de/daten/mitarbeiter/johannsen/vectrex_2019/gallery/vectrex_gallery_2019.htm

Click the project gallery link for downloads if you're a collector.

I'm well on the way to completing these 14 new images though as lots of files are available for these. Plus i've done 6 or so others today, so i think by the end of this evening i will be at at least 80 done of the current 154 total. Over half way, woohoo.1545213368_PitchersDuel.thumb.png.a1eb1c553295b7e30242175b3bc35759.pngMore soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hitm4n said:

Well, i added 14 more roms today from Professor Johannsens 2019 programming class.

http://eitidaten.fh-pforzheim.de/daten/mitarbeiter/johannsen/vectrex_2019/gallery/vectrex_gallery_2019.htm

Click the project gallery link for downloads if you're a collector.

I'm well on the way to completing these 14 new images though as lots of files are available for these. Plus i've done 6 or so others today, so i think by the end of this evening i will be at at least 80 done of the current 154 total. Over half way, woohoo.1545213368_PitchersDuel.thumb.png.a1eb1c553295b7e30242175b3bc35759.pngMore soon.

Wow, thanks for that project link. That is a new one one me. I'm a huge Vectrex fan, so this makes me very happy. You work here also is at the top of my appreciation list. Great job.

Johannsen is working on a new game too called "Count" i think (a Dracula thing), and he made the Vec Man game (Pacman clone), which is great. His classes have been going a few years now, i've yet to find the roms for his classes games from 2018, 2017 and 2016, so if anyone finds them, or knows of an archive, please let us know. His universities site address changed and all his previous years pages broke, he says he will update them all to a working state in the future but we'll have to wait on that.

I made it to 81 last night, will be doing more through today :)

And thanks for the kind words, makes posting progress here worthwhile. Finally i'll add one of those 14 new games. Looks like a C64 Paradroid type clone. Interesting.

Vectroid.thumb.png.4238fd011b4d18dd1ac83c48d7484df6.png

I'm sharing my progress on these to a Facebook Vectrex group as well. Some of those guys can't or won't come to this forum to get the images and i would like to share the completed works to them too. When i upload images on Facebook though the images are compressed and look terrible.

So i'm considering an image hosting site. Whats the best people use? I don't need online editing tools, i don't want Google to tell me my friends in one of the pictures and "shall i share it them". I need full resolution uploading, easy uploading and the ability for people to leech all they want... Maybe as a bundle if possible.

Flickr ? Dropbox ? Deviantart ? I'm thinking Dropbox as you get previews, single files, or (i think) can choose to download in a zip. Whats people using these days ?

1 minute ago, hitm4n said:

I'm sharing my progress on these to a Facebook Vectrex group as well. Some of those guys can't or won't come to this forum to get the images and i would like to share the completed works to them too. When i upload images on Facebook though the images are compressed and look terrible.

So i'm considering an image hosting site. Whats the best people use? I don't need online editing tools, i don't want Google to tell me my friends in one of the pictures and "shall i share it them". I need full resolution uploading, easy uploading and the ability for people to leech all they want... Maybe as a bundle if possible.

Flickr ? Dropbox ? Deviantart ? I'm thinking Dropbox as you get previews, single files, or (i think) can choose to download in a zip. Whats people using these days ?

If you have a gmail account, or any google account for that matter you get 15GB of googledrive space free with your account. Id just use that.