LaunchBox Community Forums

C++ and .NET do what for me exactly?

NOMAD0P

image.thumb.png.3146a16de6bde90c9faf02857151111d.png

Confronted with this as I open launchbox update. What's it going to do for me? Do you understand that even though yes, you are continuing to develop the app, that a lot of people have this set up in almost standalone like situation in a cab or bespoke setup. Is this just where I turn my updates off and wondered why I paid for a forever license?

What?

You do now how programs and PC's work right? Programs very very often rely on other libraries for them to actually work, Visual Studio and .NET Framework being the big two, most of the apps on your PC will use one version of one or the other. Just look in your add/remove programs list to see how many different versions you already have installed. 

image.thumb.png.b46e656038592c214941410b7dbae8f7.pngEvery time you install a game from steam it also installs the version it needs to actually run, you never seen a PC game during its install process install "common ridistributables"? This is no different, its just that most other programs install these is "silent" mode, meaning they dont even tell you they are being installed, they just go ahead and do it with no permission from you.

1 hour ago, NOMAD0P said:

Is this just where I turn my updates off and wondered why I paid for a forever license?

You do you, but if you want to use the program then you need to say yes on that screen, at least Launchbox tells you what it is doing, unlike most other programs that go ahead and install this stuff without asking for your permission. You have probably installed hundreds of programs/games that also did this, you going to go and complain to every single one of those that they are installing things that are actually needed in order for the program/game to work? No i didnt think so, so why are you making a exception for Launchbox?

Also i will note that most emulators also use directx and .NET, but i guess you havent complained to those creators that they are adding software to your PC that makes the emulators, you know, actually work?

Just now, NOMAD0P said:

What? I'm surprised that suddenly an update includes dependencies and requires installations that it didn't require previously?

Well thats the nature of progress. You want new features then spend the ten seconds downloading and installing whats needed.

16 minutes ago, NOMAD0P said:

What? I'm surprised that suddenly an update includes dependencies and requires installations that it didn't require previously?

That's because this update had changed the framework so LB/BB could continue to develop. At some point in time all software needs to update its dependencies as the dependencies themselves change or update. It was not sudden. It has been quite a while since an update like that was needed.

The change log sums it up:

Improvement: LaunchBox and Big Box have been upgraded to .NET Core 3.1, which brings with it many advantages, such as better performance, increased security, and more opportunities for cross-platform support.

Uh huh, which is dependencies that I didn't pay for. I paid for software that didn't require anything else to be installed (otherwise known as bloat) to keep my lower spec machines running with decent frames. How is this going to work for example, on WinXP machines that can't even install these dependencies? All this so called "progress" comes at a cost to older hardware. When we're dealing with aged software preservation, it's quite relevant. I'm surprised I'm the only one mentioning this now. How many other dependencies on modern hardware and OS will this software have to rely on to function? As it's not so much the standalone, can run on an external drive installation on a lot of hardware now as it used to be.

Also: I don't need a moderator jumping in here for giving me attitude without thinking it through first. Not a good look for your community, quite immature honestly.

Edited by NOMAD0P

On 8/28/2020 at 10:10 AM, NOMAD0P said:

Uh huh, which is dependencies that I didn't pay for. I paid for software that didn't require anything else to be installed (otherwise known as bloat) to keep my lower spec machines running with decent frames. How is this going to work for example, on WinXP machines that can't even install these dependencies? All this so called "progress" comes at a cost to older hardware. When we're dealing with aged software preservation, it's quite relevant. I'm surprised I'm the only one mentioning this now. How many other dependencies on modern hardware and OS will this software have to rely on to function? As it's not so much the standalone, can run on an external drive installation on a lot of hardware now as it used to be.

So you when you bought your license you chose specific dependencies that you paid for? Or did you pay for a product that you expected would be kept up-to-date and would constantly add improvements/upgrades? If you are not happy you are more than welcome to email support@unbrokensoftware.com and ask for a refund.

Dependencies for a software to continue to develop is not bloat. Its necessary for the continued growth of software. Who knows why you are the only one mentioning it. Maybe other users understand the difference. At some point old hardware just cannot keep up and that is the nature of tech and software. Good thing is there are always alternative software that can run on antiquated hardware. As well as the option to roll back to a prior version or stop upgrades at your own choice.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:10 AM, NOMAD0P said:

Also: I don't need a moderator jumping in here for giving me attitude without thinking it through first. Not a good look for your community, quite immature honestly.

No, you just needed someone to come in here and clarify your misunderstanding of how things work. We were not the ones that needed to think things through. Immature is one who is not fully developed, like your understanding of software.

2 minutes ago, NOMAD0P said:

I paid for software that didn't require anything else to be installed (otherwise known as bloat) to keep my lower spec machines running with decent frames.

No, you payed for Launchbox, you didnt pay for it to stagnate on old out of date software.

2 hours ago, NOMAD0P said:

Uh huh, which is dependencies that I didn't pay for. I paid for software that didn't require anything else to be installed (otherwise known as bloat) to keep my lower spec machines running with decent frames. How is this going to work for example, on WinXP machines that can't even install these dependencies? 

I don’t understand this, don’t upgrade then.

Is the issue more you paid for a lifetime license that you don’t really need or that you DO want future updates, but without upgrading other dependencies?

Seems like unreasonable request if the second option.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, completely unreasonable and also shows a lack of understanding of how computers and software works and what a runtime or a library or the .NET Framework is. Plus, the way you ask or discuss things, "attitude", is important. That said, I wish the world had adopted a true compiled language like those in RAD Studio (Delphi, C++) which is faster and compiles everything into an EXE instead of having a GAC and a .NET Framework, and interop files and all the other stuff that just complicates things that they were trying to make easier. But even then, sooner or later, you are going to need a tool that is a DLL or requires some kind of licensing. So like Beta vs. VHS or Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD (remember that?), you go with the system that has the most support. The best horse isn't always the winner, but he/she crossed the finish line first.

• 1 year later...

It is quite apparent that the above complainers do not understand the nature of .dll,s, .NET, and C++ and how it is applied to run non-windows software a Windows machine.  If every Commodore, Atari, Sega, etc., non-windows game, were to have their code updated to include these libraries into individual game executables there would never be enough storage space store these redundancies or run these games.