LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommended Emulator for Sega Titan arcade ROMS?

MayorQwert

Hey, the past week I've had tons of issues getting emulation properly working for STV arcade games. My launchbox build is arcade-only, and there are some great STV games that simply don't work in mame yet. For individual games I have been able to get Kronos working, but can't seem to be able to swap arcade roms from whatever is set in the program UI itself via command line.

That brings me to the topic of this thread, does anybody else have STV games in their launchbox collection? If so, I'm curious to hear about what emulators and config settings you are using.

7 hours ago, RULLUR said:

I also forgot SSF runs STV even though that is kinda been made obsolete. I'm not 100% sure how it does it since I tried to do it for Saturn, but from the looks of it you would totally need an STV BIOS

Maybe things have changed, but when I tried SSF you had to deal with mounting images to a virtual drive which was an extra hassle I didn’t want to deal with as the other options worked well enough for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Maybe things have changed, but when I tried SSF you had to deal with mounting images to a virtual drive which was an extra hassle I didn’t want to deal with as the other options worked well enough for me.

Yeah, other than that it seemed pretty solid. Just nobody wants to be mounting and unmounting between games, especially those of us on the level of LaunchBox who want to just click and play. Would be cool if someone found a way to do it all without all the mounting though

• 2 years later...

I deleted your other post asking about the same thing Sega ST-V. I think this is the 3rd time you have been advised to stop posting the same questions in multiple threads. If you do not find answer after searching the forum the best thing for you I can recommend is start a unique thread on your issue and then be patient. We do not need users spamming multiple threads with the same questions. This option would also be better than dreading up years old threads. The other one you posted in was 5 years old.

3 hours ago, tallpr24 said:

hello,

im trying to run sega st-v using mame and mame2003 cores, but the games wont launch, any suggestions?

What mame rom set version did your STV roms come from? Do the games run at all directly in Mame or RA Mame cores without using LB?

31 minutes ago, tallpr24 said:

i got the rom set from archive.org so not sure what type they are.  I have not tried to launch with Mame only RA, they dont launch directly from RA neither.

Then its a rom/emulator issue. You are likely missing a support file. If you got them off archive and it did not show what version it came from then I would scrap those roms. Best place to get roms that you know will work in Mame as well as in Mame RA core is pleasure dome's git hub. Download the most current Mame romset and set up your arcade roms that way. If you piece roms together from random sets things like what you are experiencing typically happen. 

Just now, tallpr24 said:

I really would like to use RA rather than mame, is there a specific rom set that works with RA that I should look for?

As always you need to match your romset with the mame version. mame in retroarch is current, so you want your roms from the current mame romset. They will just work in mame, i cant speak about mame in retroarch though, as its awful and i dont use it.

35 minutes ago, tallpr24 said:

I didnt create any post, I simply responded to already existing ones.  

I know you did not create any new threads which is why I said stop posting the same question in multiple threads.

40 minutes ago, tallpr24 said:

Im I not allowed to ask in multiple post if they already exist?

No, we prefer you do not. I clearly stated "Do not post the same question in multiple threads". Post the question once and wait for answer. Posting in multiple threads is a waste as it spreads answers in too many different threads. Multiple users may answer your question in multiple threads wasting time and when other users search answers are spread in many different locations. 

2 minutes ago, tallpr24 said:

I really would like to use RA rather than mame, is there a specific rom set that works with RA that I should look for?

If you are using a current Mame rom set then the Mame core without the year should work fine. 

1 minute ago, tallpr24 said:

also, i have a mame rom set already, but i just wanted to seperate the Sega Titan arcade ROMS in launchbox the way i have them now, 

If you separate them out, as in move them out of the Mame rom set folder then you risk not moving support files that might be needed. 

@tallpr24 I accidentally deleted your last post asking about which rom set to choose. I was trying to delete the link.

1. Major forum rule is do not post links to roms or share roms on the forum. 

As far as which to get that is up to what you want to be able to do with the roms or if you have a storage concern. 

I recommend reading this thread. 

This pic you would choose either Merged, Split, or Non-Merged. The link above will explain the type differences. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 10.10.28 AM.png