LaunchBox Community Forums

PS5 needs to be added to the platform list

fuzzlefluff

Users can't add new platforms so you will have to wait until it is added which I doubt will be a high priority considering it just came out and there is no hope of any type of emulation for it for years to come so while I'm sure it will eventually get added I wouldn't think it was going to be quickly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing stopping you from making your own PS5 platform - you'll be leagues ahead of everyone in the late 2020s when the first game sort of runs on a PS5 emulator.

I can see some value in a ps5 set in LB maybe for a showcase, it'd have to be hooked up though imo- all the art, publisher info notes video snaps to be worthy

I would combine video snaps with game review videos tacked on , make it something people could peruse to check out ps5 games.

Lou, LaunchBox is not limited to emulation. It's about managing game lists of all kinds. For example, its platform list includes Microsoft Xbox One and Sony Playstation 4, which are not emulated afaik.

And yes, I created PS5 platform in my local LaunchBox installation, but having it in the official database would be nice.

7 hours ago, glaymore said:

It's about managing game lists of all kinds.

It's actually not. That's why it's not called ListBox. It's called LaunchBox because it's designed to give you a nice, pretty, organized list of things that you can then launch.

You're welcome to put whatever you want into it, and call it whatever you want. You could make a platform for your favorite deli sandwiches if you wanted to. There's nothing stopping you from doing that, but that's not what what LaunchBox is actually designed for, and as such the value to having PS5, deli sandwiches, what-have-you, in the db are limited at best.

I don't think the DB should have an XB1 or PS4 platform either, honestly, although I do know that some users have rigged up ways to get Launchbox to start things on their physical console so hey, shrug emoji.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Zombeaver said:

It's actually not. That's why it's not called ListBox. It's called LaunchBox because it's designed to give you a nice, pretty, organized list of things that you can then launch.

You're welcome to put whatever you want into it, and call it whatever you want. You could make a platform for your favorite deli sandwiches if you wanted to. There's nothing stopping you from doing that, but that's not what what LaunchBox is actually designed for, and as such the value to having PS5, deli sandwiches, what-have-you, in the db are limited at best.

I don't think the DB should have an XB1 or PS4 platform either, honestly, although I do know that some users have rigged up ways to get Launchbox to start things on their physical console so hey, shrug emoji.

lol, we are for once, in 100% agreement on something. :)

• Like 1

Well I think the idea is ostensibly that those platforms will be emulatable at some point. And while this is of course true for PS5 as well, it's even further off than it is for those platforms (which are pretty far off).

All of this stuff will make sense in LaunchBox eventually. But as it stands it's not the type of thing that really should be much of a priority because there's not much you can actually do with it at this point. Meanwhile, there is plenty of media and metadata missing from games that are perfectly playable right now.

There are actually a lot of websites out there that are specifically designed around making lists of various stuff. Ones that would be quite a bit easier to utilize than Launchbox for purely that purpose too. Functionally, the way Launchbox is designed is in such a way that you're supposed to import something (a rom, a disc image, what-have-you) which you can subsequently play. And the DB should generally reflect that.

21 hours ago, lou silver said:

Nothing stopping you from making your own PS5 platform - you'll be leagues ahead of everyone in the late 2020s when the first game sort of runs on a PS5 emulator.

I can see some value in a ps5 set in LB maybe for a showcase, it'd have to be hooked up though imo- all the art, publisher info notes video snaps to be worthy

I would combine video snaps with game review videos tacked on , make it something people could peruse to check out ps5 games.

I got bored sooo  here's Ps5!! The "roms" are actually trailers with vlc as the emulator.

Edited by lou silver
  • Game On 1

9 hours ago, glaymore said:

Lou, LaunchBox is not limited to emulation. It's about managing game lists of all kinds. For example, its platform list includes Microsoft Xbox One and Sony Playstation 4, which are not emulated afaik.

And yes, I created PS5 platform in my local LaunchBox installation, but having it in the official database would be nice.

Was more poking fun at how long from now an emulator will arrive, wish I had seen this post, I spent all morning compiling my own haha also although I'm sure I'm missing everything released this month. Perhaps you can upload your set?

• 1 month later...

I am with the OP.  Besides using Launchbox to run my Mame or other emulators... I also use it to track my console games such as PS4, PS5, XBox, etc.

As Zombeaver mentioned earlier... Use one of the many list apps that are avail on the internet....  My Response:  Why use a separate app when Launchbox does such a great job at cataloging games?    Just because it is not emulated. does not mean the game images can't be added to the database for others to share that also use Launchbox for tracking games....  Besides, isn't Launchbox used more as a tool to catalog your games, and BigBox used to launch them?

How difficult can it be to add a new section to the database?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 4:57 PM, Zombeaver said:

I'm assuming that's some sort of remote play and the same could be done on a PS5. I get the lack of urgency but it would be nice at some point. I see other users echoing this sentiment. I mean lots of games on the PS3 and 360 platforms probably are not even playable through emulation yet, particularly 360, but despite that they are surprisingly well maintained. Even Xbox emulation is pretty spotty still but most games are still on there and as a modded Xbox owner Launchbox has been excellent as a catalogue so I don't have to boot up the console and I can use the synced library to just pull up my library and make a decision before I even look through that as well as my various modded consoles with large libraries on them. I can make my own PS5 platform for my own purposes and probably will, there aren't many titles exclusive to the platform yet most of them I own are crossgen but still, it appears I'm certainly not the only one using the application outside the 'intended purpose' so as time goes on would be nice to see support. Thank you!

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Sinfire said:

Any updates on when Launchbox will support PS5 cataloging of games?  It would be nice to have all the game info in 1 place as oppposed to scattered across multiple systems.

It already does. https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/platforms/games/219

It only has about 15 games in it, so you've got some work to do!

Edited by Thanatos_Prime
:)

• 2 weeks later...

It is there in the database.... But if I go to my collection and update one of my games, it does not find the game... For instance, I search for Bugsnax, and the only one that pops up is the Windows version.....

Is there something that needs to be done so that the query will also display PS5 games?

3 hours ago, Sinfire said:

It is there in the database.... But if I go to my collection and update one of my games, it does not find the game... For instance, I search for Bugsnax, and the only one that pops up is the Windows version.....

Is there something that needs to be done so that the query will also display PS5 games?

I don't have a PS5 but I added Sony Playstation 5 as a platform, and gave it a random emulator, I then created a bogus BugSnax.rom file in the games folder that was created for it and imported it. It imported the game into my collection and got all the pertinent art.