LaunchBox Community Forums

Two Platforms using the same core with differen settings (RetroArch)

Friedi1987

Hey folks,

I am trying to run both, Amstrad CPC and Amstrad GX4000 files with the cap32 core in Retrocharch.

Usually I try to use stand alone emus, to avoid esspecially that issue I got now, but the stand alone ones for those platforms do not hava all the features (autostart, some have trouble with fullscreen some have weird gui...)

Tried Arnold, WinAPE, Caprice Forever, Arnold AE..

So caprice32 core in retroarch works with both systems and got all I need :) (Autostarting roms, Fullscreen working great, comfortable controls binding etc..)

However, only one system at a time works p.p

For GX4000 I have to set the model to 6128+, for the CPC to 6128. No problem so far. Both systems work with their corresponding settings.

So I assumed saving two configs with content directory override option in retroarch would solve this problem and generate the needed config files in the config directoy of retroarch, but no configs are written...

The last post in this thread:

is probably what I need to achieve to get both platforms launched correctly from launchbox.

But I think I am missing something.

Anyone has a clue ?

Best regards,

Friedi

13 hours ago, Friedi1987 said:

So I assumed saving two configs with content directory override option in retroarch would solve this problem and generate the needed config files in the config directoy of retroarch, but no configs are written...

This should work.

Do you know for sure they weren't written or that they don't load after. (That option to auto load has to be enabed)

When you saved the content override, did you get the message on screen in Retroarch that it was saved? If yes and no config files exist, make sure in Retroarch settings under Directories that the config path is set where you expect.

Edit: I don’t run this system, but is the system option in the Retroarch Options menu? If so it’s a game specific options file you need. I’m not 100% sure if you can save a content directory option override directly from Retroarch. (I’ll check after work)

Try duplicating  the core options file and name it to your folder directory name. Edit that file and change the system setting.

Edit 2: Retroarch options

Edited by Headrush69

18 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Try duplicating  the core options file and name it to your folder directory name. Edit that file and change the system setting.

Edit 2: Retroarch options

Thanks for the reply :) Gonna try it although it sounds tricky to me :D

I think it is the way you say. As this is a system option a game specific override would help but concerning the amount of games i'd like to avoid that and hoped the content directory override would address this issue.

9 hours ago, zugswang said:

Just create 2 x RetroArch setups and point each system to different RA,  much easier.

Thank you too for the reply.

Yes that would have been my workaround too.

Simply hoped there is maybe a command line option or something.

Tried to get the multiple retroarch config solution inspired by your answers and the thread Headrush69 mentioned:

- First of all I did not have a retroarch-core-option file. This was caused by the option "global core options" in the retroarch settings. Enabling this generates this file.

- Next I did run one Amstrad CPC game and went to the quick menu. There I adjusted the cpu model to 6128. Then saved the config.

Now the retroarch-core-options.cfg was created in the retroarch folder.

Then I moved this file to the retroarch/config/cap32 folder and renamed it to retroarch-cpc-core.cfg

- I repeated this step for the Amstrad GX4000 except that i adjusted the cpu model to 6128+.

- Next I copied and renamed the retroarch.cfg one time to retroarch_gx4000.cfg and one to retroarch_cpc.cfg.

In this file you'll find a line:  core_options_path = ""

This needs to point to the corresponing core options file (In my case):

core_options_path = ":\config\cap32\retroarch-cpc-core-options.cfg"

core_options_path = ":\config\cap32\retroarch-gx4000-core-options.cfg"

Finally I had to tell launchbox via commandline command to load the corresponding config file.

-c "retroarch_gx4000.cfg" for the gx4000 platform

-c "retroarch_cpc.cfg for the cpc platform

And loooook at thaaaat ... IT WORKS :)

Seems to be a lot of effort to get 2 systems running inside one retroarch instance but concerning that this situation can happen more often with different emus it might be desirable to someone.

Thanks for your help and I hope that this miniguide will be useful for others challenging the same prob  ;)

2 hours ago, Friedi1987 said:

Seems to be a lot of effort to get 2 systems running inside one retroarch instance but concerning that this situation can happen more often with different emus it might be desirable to someone.

I always thought that as well but it could be since only a few cores support multiple platforms it wasn't deemed important enough.

3 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

There is per core, per game and per content directory core over rides.

Yes but not for core options, just per game option overrides.

Glad you got it figured out Friedi1987. I don't know the Amstrad platform at all. Any good exclusive games on that platform worth checking out?

8 hours ago, DOS76 said:

content directory overrides allow different settings on cores as long as the games or each system are in separate directories.

Unless I'm completely missing something, this doesn't apply to core Game options.

When you make a change in the Retroarch core options menu, changes are immediately made to the corename.opt file or the retroarch-core-options.opt file if you are using a global options file) which are applied to all games launched via that core. Saving a content directory override does not include any changes you make in this menu. Core options being different than Retroarch options or configs if you will.

As per Retroarch docs, just game overrides for core options.

Edited by Headrush69
Added info about global core options file

1 hour ago, Headrush69 said:

Unless I'm completely missing something, this doesn't apply to core Game options.

It does apply, i have different settings for Gameboy than i do for GameBoy Colour for example. As i use different options for each, such as ghosting on the GameBoy and not on the Colour, and different colour pallets depending on GB or GBC. Simply saved as Content Directory Overrides.

18 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

I don't know the Amstrad platform at all. Any good exclusive games on that platform worth checking out?

The Amstrad systems were mainly used in European countries, especially Germany, France and Spain.

There are some exlusive titles but really one a few.

Main reason for me getting the system up and running was for completeness :D

3 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Strange. I don’t get core options saved in my config files. Maybe there is a setting missing somewhere. Can you post a portion of your override that shows the core option setting for comparison.

Same here.

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

It does apply, i have different settings for Gameboy than i do for GameBoy Colour for example. As i use different options for each, such as ghosting on the GameBoy and not on the Colour, and different colour pallets depending on GB or GBC. Simply saved as Content Directory Overrides.

I'll give it another try with gamebox :D Maybe it works for that emu, or as mentioned above maybe I also missed to check some options in retroarch system.

4 hours ago, Friedi1987 said:

'll give it another try with gamebox :D Maybe it works for that emu, or as mentioned above maybe I also missed to check some options in retroarch system.

I don't get it then as I've tried the Sameboy core as well and it's doesn't save core options in overrides for me.

All the Retroarch docs are telling me otherwise, 

• A standalone file also saves the Option settings for all cores that support them. The settings in this file can be overridden on a per game basis.

Options (.opt) & Shader Presets (.cgp|.glslp|.slangp)

Custom per game core options and shader presets work slightly differently. These are full configurations and are loaded instead of the base shader preset and core option settings.

The global file for core option settings, for cores that support options

• retroarch-core-options.cfg (located with the retroarch.cfg)

Core options

• name-of-game.opt If not found load
    • retroarch-core-options.cfg

The options files list the settings found under Quick Menu -> Options. The retroarch-core-options.cfg is created automatically on loading a core that supports Options.

Just to be clear we aren't talking about other configurable options or shader options, but options specifically in the Quick Menu -> Options menu of Retroarch.

Would love to hear what we are doing wrong, as per directory core options would clean up have a lot of game specific core option overrides for me.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 3:07 PM, Friedi1987 said:

Tried to get the multiple retroarch config solution inspired by your answers and the thread Headrush69 mentioned:

- First of all I did not have a retroarch-core-option file. This was caused by the option "global core options" in the retroarch settings. Enabling this generates this file.

- Next I did run one Amstrad CPC game and went to the quick menu. There I adjusted the cpu model to 6128. Then saved the config.

Now the retroarch-core-options.cfg was created in the retroarch folder.

Then I moved this file to the retroarch/config/cap32 folder and renamed it to retroarch-cpc-core.cfg

- I repeated this step for the Amstrad GX4000 except that i adjusted the cpu model to 6128+.

- Next I copied and renamed the retroarch.cfg one time to retroarch_gx4000.cfg and one to retroarch_cpc.cfg.

In this file you'll find a line:  core_options_path = ""

This needs to point to the corresponing core options file (In my case):

core_options_path = ":\config\cap32\retroarch-cpc-core-options.cfg"

core_options_path = ":\config\cap32\retroarch-gx4000-core-options.cfg"

Finally I had to tell launchbox via commandline command to load the corresponding config file.

-c "retroarch_gx4000.cfg" for the gx4000 platform

-c "retroarch_cpc.cfg for the cpc platform

And loooook at thaaaat ... IT WORKS :)

Thanks for your help and I hope that this miniguide will be useful for others challenging the same prob  ;)

ZOMG Thank You!

This was exactly what I needed to solve my long standing issue with Neo Geo AVS and MVS.

I wanted my LauchBox setup to setup to have Neo Geo arcade (MVS) and Neo Geo home console (AES)  experiences and was getting nowhere. I don't understand why the directory override of RetroArch won't work of the AES vs MVS BIOS options, but this is a great work around. I really wanted to use the Final Burn Neo core for this and this is the perfect solution.

Now I can easily switch between arcade and home versions (yes there is a difference) and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks again!

LOL

and the RetroArch 1.9.1 version released  mere 11 hours ago has a core options per directory feature making all of the above no longer necessary.

Now you can just set your core options how you like them and go to "Manage Core Options" and then select "Save Content Directory Options"

ta-da! And this was how I thought it should have worked from the beginning.

Great new feature, but the timing makes me think the universe is mocking me.

1 hour ago, TheDaYv said:

Now you can just set your core options how you like them and go to "Manage Core Options" and then select "Save Content Directory Options"

ta-da! And this was how I thought it should have worked from the beginning.

Yes, very much needed for multi system cores. No more needing custom configs to read specific core options. (Although been told many times in this thread it existed already ? )

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I've run into a similar problem trying to run two different shaders for GB and GBC, both running on the Gambette core.  I know there is a save per directory in the shader "save" options, and my roms for the two platforms are in different directories, but each time I use this option to save my shader and parameters it doesn't seem to work... it will just load the same old core shader stuff for both platforms.  Any other steps I should be taking to get this to work?  Thanks for the help.

24 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

I know this is an old thread, but I've run into a similar problem trying to run two different shaders for GB and GBC, both running on the Gambette core.  I know there is a save per directory in the shader "save" options, and my roms for the two platforms are in different directories, but each time I use this option to save my shader and parameters it doesn't seem to work... it will just load the same old core shader stuff for both platforms.  Any other steps I should be taking to get this to work?  Thanks for the help.

The save shader options are not working sorrectly. Still do that, set the shader and save a shader content directory override, but then also back out of the shader menu and also  save a standard content directory override and then it should stick.

• Like 1