LaunchBox Community Forums

Active Marquee's in the works?

Boomerps2

So I see the active marquee side of things is really stating to catch on with products like Pixelcade and the long running Hyper Marquee for Hyperspin. People are buying Virtolight LCD's and implementing them into there cabinets/bartops. Now if anybody has seen these active marquees with animations know how awesome it is. Seeing the Mortal Kombat XL marquee with the active torches in the background flickering was jaw dropping.

Question: Does LaunchBox/BigBox have any plans on integrating anything like Hyper Marquee to cater to this growing market? I understand that BigBox has marquee support for static images of which I'm using myself. These new active marquees is an entirely  new animal. Even support for MP4 playback for marquees would work.

• Like 1

In theory, Big Box supports "active marquees" with no issues if a theme developer built a theme that did it. We'll probably put something similar on the next poll. We do not plan to integrate Hyper Marquee (not much point in that), but we are interested in improving the Big Box marquee support.

Sorry there are no links out there of ready to go active marquees in ahk for LB/BB. There are examples of how to embed videos in an ahk gui out there if you know how to code in ahk. Just search Google.

I have active marquees coded and working currently in my slingshot launchers but it's still a work in progress.

Or, if coding something, you can use Eatkinola's Ao.BigBox plugin and code a GameMarqueeView.xaml and PlatformMarqueeView.xaml that can be put into any theme. The video looper in it works in a marquee view. I have not messed it in a while, but should still work in latest versions of BB. I know a couple theme creators also mentioned using it.

3 hours ago, Darkseid001 said:

Big box need to get on board with this or be left behind its one of the features lots are looking for and a huge selling point also add 3rd monitor support.

We appreciate the passion, but there is no fear BigBox will be left behind. We have two devs that actively keep developing the software. Active marquees and 3 monitors are still pretty niche when it comes to the user's requests. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying it has not been asked for by a good bit of users over the years, just more users are not using 2 and 3 monitors than are. So when it comes poll time the request for marquee typically gets beat out by other features. Upgraded marquee support is one I have been actively looking for over the years. You can already do a lot with marquee support as it is. Multiple images, custom images such as controls, metadata, videos work with a plugin.

7 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Unsure what support you feel is missing. What exactly are you hoping for that can't already be done with the marquee?

Multiple monitor support would be welcome for anyone that would like to have (and I hope I'm not jinxing it again by saying it), better pinball support. Playfield, backglass, DMD, and topper video monitors are pretty standard in the Virtual Pinball community these days. Your typical Bigbox users probably don't care about it (too niche), but Pinball enthusiasts would love to be able to use it.

Bigbox as it is, is so close to being a great frontend for pinball (database issues aside). It's just missing a couple things. Just my 2 cents.

15 hours ago, JaysArcade said:

Multiple monitor support would be welcome for anyone that would like to have (and I hope I'm not jinxing it again by saying it), better pinball support. Playfield, backglass, DMD, and topper video monitors are pretty standard in the Virtual Pinball community these days. Your typical Bigbox users probably don't care about it (too niche), but Pinball enthusiasts would love to be able to use it.

Bigbox as it is, is so close to being a great frontend for pinball (database issues aside). It's just missing a couple things. Just my 2 cents.

All those things would be displayed by your pinball app, not Big Box so not sure there'd be much point in adding extra monitors for those type of set ups. That being said if you are using LEDBlinky with a LED DMD you can technically already have 3 of the 4 things you just mentioned in Big Box now. Playfield would be primary monitor, LEDBlinky control the DMD, and backglass could be set up as marquee monitor.

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

All those things would be displayed by your pinball app, not Big Box so not sure there'd be much point in adding extra monitors for those type of set ups. That being said if you are using LEDBlinky with a LED DMD you can technically already have 3 of the 4 things you just mentioned in Big Box now. Playfield would be primary monitor, LEDBlinky control the DMD, and backglass could be set up as marquee monitor.

That's not entirely true, the frontend does displays that stuff - when scrolling through the games, not the pinball app. As for those real LED DMDs, the other guys frontends display to those as well (while in the frontend), not the Pinball app or LED Blinky. We Use LED Blinky for the buttons and DOF for all the environmental effects like the blinky buttons, strobes, fans, LED matrixes, knockers, etc.  

A lot of guys use monitors for their DMD, myself included. I built a mini cab a few years ago that has a 7 inch monitor for the DMD. The frontend displays videos recorded from gameplay in the DMD area, as well as videos for the backbox and playfield. My cab doesn't use one but a lot of guys have topper videos as well and even under videos if you can believe that. I've seen set-ups that have 5 monitors. It's crazy.

Here is a short vid of the three screens on my cab displaying videos from the frontend. Don't be distracted by the LED matrix near the playfield, watch the small monitor between the speakers.

Yeah. Not trying to say those builds don't exist AT ALL. For the type of build you are referring to (VPIN) I can see it being more popular. Though what you are referring to now has very little to do with what the OP was originally referring to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Built into WPF theming, no need for a plugin, beta has a new video control we implemented that could make this even easier as well.

This is interesting. Without using Eatkinola's plugin video on a marquee made BigBox laggy, the video playback was not smooth also muting was an issue. At least it was when I messed with it a while back. I remember mentioning it to Jason in our discord and he mentioned a plugin might be needed.

What's the new video control?