LaunchBox Community Forums

11.13 Beta Testing

faeran

Hi Everyone.  I'm a relatively new lifetime bbox user so I have only come along since 11.12 was out - so I have no idea what the emumovies download experience was like before.  I certainly have been using launchbox intensely since then to add all my collections and I have run into the same 404 download issue as has been documented by @vertigoelectric.  That is, the initial scanning of all the systems (downloading metadata) takes so long (nearly an hour) that when the media download starts I immediately have the error count ticking up for every item.  My solution so far has been to close lbox and reopen as soon as the media download portion starts.  This means I have to wait for the emumovies portion of the search to happen again but at least when the download starts I get less errors.  I still receive 404 errors but much lower.  Interestingly I seem to get about a 10% 404 error rate on the first few hundred media downloads but this tapers off and ends up being perhaps 1% error rate in a 20,000 item total.  Not sure if this helps the current investigation but thought the feedback might end up being useful.  Also for reference I am in Australia though my internet connection is good speed for here (approx 80Mbps down / 50Mbps up) and I have a high spec PC. 

• Like 2

@ferretlegs I noticed the same thing.  It seems to automatically start giving errors when it gets to the portion of the import of the actual media download from emumovie, if you do a large import of roms where the metadata portion of the import takes a long time to process.  I don't think the speed of the internet is much related to this, as I have a 350 Mbps down/15 Mbps up connection on my line and I get the same issues when doing a big import.  I think, as mentioned previously, if you do a large import I think the emumovies connection times out before it actually gets to the portion of the import process where it actually starts trying to download the media from emumovies.  I guess a fix, if possible, would be to re-establish a connection to emumovies right before that portion of the download starts, rather than earlier in the import process, but not sure if that's doable or not.  Either way, I'm sure the devs figure something out :)

Edited by CDBlue

LaunchBox is still deleting images when editing games, and it doesn't seem to matter if you change an image's type or not. Just downloading more images causes LB to delete existing images for that game. This makes LB completely useless for editing anything at the moment, since you can't edit anything without chancing images being deleted.

Edited by OhBoy

I would also like to report that I get the same error rate as @ferretlegshad indicated on the order of 1% for a scraping session over 10,000 media items. I will add too that the error rate seems to be worse as the processing power gets less and less on the hardware. I have a Ryzen 9 5950X semi-dedicated arcade system that seems to get the least errors, followed by Surface Pro 7+ which gets a bit more, and finally my thin client portable arcade system (an HP T640, a passively cooled dual-core Ryzen R1505G mini PC) which gets the worst level of errors. Bear in mind that all these devices have a top-of-the-line Intel AX200 or AX201 wireless AX Wi-Fi cards and are connected to blazing fast 1.2 Gbps Comcast cable internet. The error rate was so bad on the T640 (on the order of greater than 90% for EmuMovies) that I tried everything to remedy the failed downloads. I tried using a VPN thinking it was an ISP issue (interestingly, though, the issue was nowhere as profound on the other two, higher powered devices) and I even tweaked resource allocation in Process Lasso to give LaunchBox and the browser subprocesses higher process and I/O priority.

I got so frustrated that I finally tried the latest 11.13 beta and that finally seems to have mostly fixed the downloading issue on the T640. The caveat here is that I still get a small error rate, on the order of less than 10 errors for 10,000+ media items. My current scraping session is visible below. I am almost 2,000 media items in and only two errors have occurred so far. Contrast that with before loading the beta on the T640 where I was getting an error rate of >90%, where maybe a couple hundred media items would download and then all of the remaining items would fail repeatedly afterwards. I am glad to report that this latest beta seems to be the fix to this recent issue that popped up in the last few releases. Thanks for continuing to make me a proud and happy LaunchBox user with your ongoing support and amazing upgrades to this excellent piece of software. This is the best arcade software bar none!

2D3F890E-E88A-4429-8C0C-2E07702664D2.thumb.jpeg.c910441f8f7a1c53a9256261051c57f8.jpeg

Edited by Hifihedgehog

On 7/3/2021 at 5:55 PM, vertigoelectric said:

For some reason, it's taking an excessively long time to download the media for games.  After several hours it only downloaded about 50 items.  Anybody else facing this issue?  Maybe it's just me...

Can confirm that I am also facing this issue. As you said in your later posts, seems like it's related to scraping a lot of games at the same time.

Beta 3 is now out with the following changes:

• New Premium Feature: LaunchBox can now be closed or minimized to the system tray
  • New Premium Feature: LaunchBox can now display an icon in the system tray that can be used to show/quit LaunchBox as well as quick launch recently played or added games
  • New Feature: Big Box sound packs can now support multiple sounds for each sound type
  • New Feature: Big Box Themes can now support their own sound packs packaged with the theme
  • New Feature: Big Box now has an option to require holding back to navigate to the system menu
  • New Feature: Added Big Box keyboard and controller mappings to View System Menu
  • Improvement: Some Amazon media was being downloaded as an unsupported file type. These are now changed to JPG automatically.
  • Fixed: Corrected rare null ref error while importing Amazon Games
  • Fixed: Amazon games importer was not discovering all games in the user's library
  • Fixed: TextFiltersView will now prioritize background videos over images
  • Fixed: Navigation error using the MS-DOS and ROM import wizards

Please continue to report any issues you find with this latest beta. Your help us much appreciated.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 2

13 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Looking for input from everyone in regard to images not being saved (or deleted) when using the Add/Edit Game screen or the Download Metadata and Media tool. Also want to know if this beta helps those getting prolonged 404 session retry attempt.

Tagging users who reported one of these issues:

@OhBoy @vertigoelectric

You can add me to the list of users having fanart deleted when using the Add/Edit Game screen.

1 minute ago, Thornback said:

You can add me to the list of users having fanart deleted when using the Add/Edit Game screen.

Cool, can you let me know if you still experience this at all in this release. If you are any details you could provide regarding what you were doing, what images got deleted, etc would really help.

9 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Cool, can you let me know if you still experience this at all in this release. If you are any details you could provide regarding what you were doing, what images got deleted, etc would really help.

It is no longer happening in this release, thank you :)

Previously what used to happen is an image getting deleted if I changed its category. Let's assume I changed what was categorized as 'gameplay screenshot' into 'background fanart'. Rather than reassigning the new category to the file in question it would disappear completely on pressing OK.

Edited by Thornback
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Thornback said:

It is no longer happening in this release, thank you :)

Previously what used to happen is an image getting deleted if I changed its category. Let's assume I changed what was categorized as 'gameplay screenshot' into 'background fanart'. Rather than reassigning the new category to the file in question it would disappear completely on pressing OK.

@C-Beats this scenario is what was happening for me. I could have sworn it also happened once when I didn’t change image categories but I’m not positive. I’ll test this new release tonight and let you know if it’s fix for me as well. 

Edited by OhBoy

I've got images (more specifically, gameplay) that I've added myself and have included multiple images per game. I added a suffix of "-02" and "-03" and so on; however, I noticed it does not pick up the image if it has a "-" elsewhere in the filename. For example,

• Crash Team Racing - Nitro-Fueled-02.jpg - DOES NOT WORK
  • Crash Team Racing - Nitro-Fueled (2).jpg - WORKS
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe-01.jpg - WORKS
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe-02.jpg - WORKS
Edited by Kevin_Flynn
  • Like 1

Installed the new beta and I'm still having issues with the media downloads for 21,132 games.  First of all, from the time I started the "Download metadata and media" process, it took almost 4 hours just to get the metadata before even starting the media downloads.  Once it started the media downloading, I began getting "EmuMovies 404 error, updating URLs" still.  It got stuck on file 1 for about 10 minutes, then seemed to download 2-4 okay but now it's stuck on file 5.  There are a total of 81,867 files to download so leaving it like this could take an ungodly amount of time.  I'll have to cancel it.

log file:  https://zerobin.net/?e55de595db0012b0#VsqcfIdkEF3yzI3B5nzmiqTZd9O7yDJdq2BD5mwrKRg=

UPDATE:  Just noticed this error had popped up as well:

snap_2021-07-12_17-04-21_14117.png

Here's the text of the error:

Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. (Parameter 'toExclusive')

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 11.13-beta-3
Type:    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
Site:    System.Collections.Concurrent.OrderablePartitioner`1[System.Tuple`2[System.Int32,System.Int32]] Create(Int32, Int32)
Source:  System.Collections.Concurrent

at System.Collections.Concurrent.Partitioner.Create(Int32 fromInclusive, Int32 toExclusive)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.ForEach[T](IEnumerable`1 collection, Action`1 action)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Processes.ImageDownloader.UpdateEmuMoviesDownloads(Func`1 cancel, Action`2 reportProgress, QueueItem currentQueueItem)
   at FacadeMock.InitFocusDic(Func`1 cancel, Action`2 reportProgress, QueueItem currentQueueItem, FacadeMock )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Processes.ImageDownloader.ProcessQueue(Func`1 isCancelled, String activeImageGroup, Action`3 onUpdateAction, Action`2 onGameImageDownloaded)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ImageDownloaderHelp.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.InsertMetaError()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.AssetMultipartInstance(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.IncludeTransactionItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Recent Log:

5:01:39 PM Exception

Edited by vertigoelectric

1 hour ago, vertigoelectric said:

Okay so now I have a bit of a problem.  That error that I shared in my previous post pops up when I try to cancel the media download.  Then LB closes.  When I open it again, it restarts the download.  I'm unable to clear it.

What do I do now?

If you are looking to cancel the queue in its entirety simple close LaunchBox then look in the \\LaunchBox\Data\ folder and remove the ImageQueue.xml file then reopen LaunchBox

24 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

If you are looking to cancel the queue in its entirety simple close LaunchBox then look in the \\LaunchBox\Data\ folder and remove the ImageQueue.xml file then reopen LaunchBox

That's exactly what I wanted.  Thank you!  My ImageQueue.xml file was 38mb, which is a pretty massive xml file.

13 hours ago, vertigoelectric said:

it took almost 4 hours just to get the metadata before even starting the media downloads

That seems incredibly long. What platforms were you scraping? About how many titles are you trying to scrape at once?

2 hours ago, C-Beats said:

That seems incredibly long. What platforms were you scraping? About how many titles are you trying to scrape at once?

21,132 titles

Amstrad CPC
Atari 2600
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Lynx
ColecoVision
Magnavox Odyssey 2
Mattel Intellivision
NEC TurboGrafx-16
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS