LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox on Steam Deck

Cauptain

4 hours ago, PiperCalls said:

I reserved one. A device that can run the entire steam library & 95% of the emulators & can dock to the big TV/wireless controllers...yeah that's the one. Wondering about the emu/retro stuff frontend though. Don't really wanna rip their OS out & install windows. Would be nice with a native LB on it...

I've since read that windows on the steam deck might lead to performance issues especially if there is no real driver support for this thing. I'm not sure if I will install windows on it after all...

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I want to set up something like Launchbkx that will work natively on steam is all over again...

Tricky... maybe one could install windows on am SD card and then boot from there whenever they want to use emulation?

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2021 at 1:09 PM, Daniel15 said:

Launchbox uses .NET, right? I'm not sure whether you're using .NET Core or the classic .NET Framework, but have you tried compiling and running it with the .NET 6.0 preview? .NET Core should already have parity between Windows and Linux, and even moreso in 6.0.

Or do you mean there's a lot of Windows-specific (or Windows-preferred) code in Launchbox itself?

The other point worth noting is that Valve have their fork of WINE called Proton. It's designed to let you play Windows games on Linux, and it's what they'll be using on the Steam Deck. You could see if Launchbox works well in Proton.

I believe WPF is the holdup. They can't rid of WPF because it's what allows the easier themes. It would also change how themes work so they wouldn't be cross-compatible.

1 hour ago, Trevo525 said:

I believe WPF is the holdup. They can't rid of WPF because it's what allows the easier themes. It would also change how themes work so they wouldn't be cross-compatible.

I read in another post somewhere on the forum that Launchbox for Linux will be based on Launchbox for Android. My understanding is that they're all .NET. The Android version uses Xamarin on Android, with eventual plans to move to MAUI once it's stable. The Android version doesn't have deep dependencies on a particular view library (compared to the Windows one which is deeply integrated with WPF), which makes it easier to port that version to other platforms. Core code is shared across all of them.

Edited by Daniel15
  • Like 2

@Daniel15 I saw the same thing 🙂 Hopefully there will be two versions for a little while though. I'd rather have it under WINE so I get access to the themes.

@Sbaby That would be great. You could probably do the same thing with something like this could come in handy. But Linux is much lighter and the default Drivers on Linux would be much better.

Seconding this, native Linux Launchbox would be awesome.

I understand Steam Deck could have Windows installed instead, but honestly I only tolerate Windows at this point, rather than actively aim to use it. Not to mention that if Valve manage to get their instant Suspend/Resume feature working, that's nigh guaranteed to be exclusive to SteamOS.

• Like 4

On 9/27/2021 at 11:05 PM, Jacksaur said:

Seconding this, native Linux Launchbox would be awesome.

I understand Steam Deck could have Windows installed instead, but honestly I only tolerate Windows at this point, rather than actively aim to use it. Not to mention that if Valve manage to get their instant Suspend/Resume feature working, that's nigh guaranteed to be exclusive to SteamOS.

Suspend/Resume is a game changer. It's what makes the Switch so convenient. I can just start it and play 5 min on the bus and then put it back in my bag when I need to get out. If I had to boot --> load the game --> load the save, the Steam Deck would lose a whole lot of its appeal.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I suspect Valve has likely done quite a bit of optimization for their flavor of Linux as it relates to the hardware inside the Steam Deck. Why you would elect to throw all of that out and run Windows is a bit beyond me... but then, as I sit here and think about it, Maybe dual booting is a possibility? I suppose that is a compromise if a native app isn't going to come around. It is Linux after all. Windows AME inside a VM is an interesting thought as well.

I came in here curious about Launchbox and now I'm leaving wondering about QEMU. LOL

• 1 month later...

The ONLY reason I run windows is LB (retro, dos games, the ONLY.  Everything else is Manjaro and has been for years.  As a dev, until I see the support of windows on the device it could very well install and be a complete sh*t show.  If there is no plans for LB in 2022-2023 then when I get my Steam Deck (512) I will be running RetroArch on several SD cards and retire LB since I have no plans to run windows into 2023.

• Like 1

I am very much looking forward to the Steam Decks release, and would love to see a native version of LB on there, but i do understand that this will take a substantial amount Dev time to implement... until that day, i'm pretty sure Valve have said that you can dual boot the Deck, so you can have windows for LB and SteamOS for your Steam library! depending on your storage options of course.

Edited by 5n4keyes

2 hours ago, 5n4keyes said:

I am very much looking forward to the Steam Decks release, and would love to see a native version of LB on there, but i do understand that this will take a substantial amount Dev time to implement... until that day, i'm pretty sure Valve have said that you can dual boot the Deck, so you can have windows for LB and SteamOS for your Steam library! depending on your storage options of course.

I'm still thinking about how to set up dual boot on the Deck. There is the option of having Windows on an SD Card, which is convenient, but may be slow. The other option is buying a small portable M2 case and using it to connect a second NVME SSD  to the Deck via USB. You could store it in you Deck carrying bag or even find a way to mount to the back of your Steam Deck.

Another thing to think about is adding a portable to increase the Steam Decks battery life. There are cases for phones which have a built in external battery. While there is no such thing for the Steam Deck yet obviously, there might be at some point. It would make the Deck more bulky for sure, but it would also add hours of gameplay. This might be useful for longer train rides or even - dare I say - when travelling by plane.

Anyway, I'm getting super excited for the Steam Deck. I'm supposed to receive mine in Q2 2022 =).

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 6:38 AM, 5n4keyes said:

Custom hardware / software, the whole point is that I dont want windows anymore and LB is the only reason I still have windows at all.  I am going to bite the bullet and move to pure retroarch and then batocera for the flashness to boot into on my tv.  I am picky overall, I like LB but not more than I dislike windows.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to also throw in a voice for Steam Deck support. I have used Launchbox on and off since 2019 and bought the Android version immediately (now on iOS having dreams), but I never pulled the trigger on the Lifetime license since projects can come and then just stop (ComicRack). And while I know there isn't much one subscription will sway a dev team, I'm going to buy a license in hopes that you see another Steam Deck supporter wants LaunchBox.

Edited by jakeg1111
  • Like 2