Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox on Steam Deck


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Cauptain said:

Hi @Jason Carr,

With the release for the end of the year of the Steam Deck (VALVE) will we have a launchbox version on STEAM?

It would be the perfect wedding for anyone who enjoys online gambling.

 

Claudio

You can install Windows on the SteamDeck, so no need.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, neil9000 said:

You can install Windows on the SteamDeck, so no need.

Thought SteamDeck had their own Linux based OS on the device and it was locked down to that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, C-Beats said:

Thought SteamDeck had their own Linux based OS on the device and it was locked down to that?

It is there linux based steamOS, but its not locked down in any way, you could install Windows, emulation station lakka, whatever you want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

You can install Windows on the SteamDeck, so no need.

Hello Neil,

I think we are taking a different view.

Nobody buys a Pi 4 to install Windows 10 and use emulator. People use native OS, correct? Even though you can install Windows.

In this case, my vision is to see Launchbox running natively, as I just put the folders on the SD and that's it.

99.9% of emulators work on Linux, Retroarch runs perfectly, so it's just Launchbox.

And the best part, without having to add anything from the stores, since we'll be at STEAM, only games even RETRO videogames/computers and the ease of being an excellent performance architecture that won't be a headache, since the hardware is the same on all models. @C-Beats would love this.

I'm not talking about licenses or values, but in a way that Launchbox can gain greater visibility within STEAM.

Can you imagine you finish playing a game of CS and go straight to play a Mario Kart or Crash Bandicoot with a wonderful performance?

 

Claudio

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now everything is speculation. A LOT can change in 5 months and Steam has flopped before releasing PCs as console to the general market. Will be interesting to see how this thing holds up to the hype.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot has been confirmed already yesterday and contrary to some reports, most of the hardware is finalized and is not in a state of flux at this point. Valve has confirmed in multiple communications now at least two things that people are getting confused about.

1. This is--repeat--a full-fledged PC (meaning, for example, it can be installed with an alternative OS via bootable media), so you can install whatever OS and software you want. There is zip, zero, nada locked down here. So putting Linux and Windows petty rivalries aside for a brief moment, if you prefer the pure Windows experience, go ahead and install it. Or if you want a different Linux distro than the stock one from Valve, that's totally up to you too. Or stay pure with SteamOS 3.0 and add any additional software you want.

2. The SSD is 2230 M.2 NVMe slot that Valve claims is "not intended for end-user replacement" and is surrounded by an EMI and thermal shield. Let me dispel some fears here. Don't get tricked by semantics! They are saying it is not intended to be upgraded though it most certainly can with minimal effort. That way, you doubt the ease of upgrade and you jump for the highest model and they preserve the upsell. In fact, Microsoft used the same lingo to describe the Surface Pro X and Pro 7+'s serviceable SSD. In reality, on those two Surfaces, it is just ONE screw and a flex-metal housing away from removal, as you can see here. Lastly, don't let the EMI and thermal shield terminology scare you. It is in reality likely just a clam shell covering the SSD to reduce EMI radiation in order to pass FCC requirements. As seen in this video, it is probably just like the Surface Pro 7+'s EMI and thermal shield which is trivial to remove.

Edited by Hifihedgehog
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been following the portable PC scene for a while now, but never bought one, because prices were too high and I was unsure about how well supported something like this would be. But I gotta say, this Steam Deck looks really great. My daily round trip commute is around 2.5 hours, which I spend listening to music or podcasts and playing my Nintendo Switch. Being able to play PC games during my commute does sound intriguing to me.

Of course I would port over a trimmed version of my Launchbox collection as well. If Launchbox can't run on SteamOS, I think I'd buy a windows 10 key. However, I suspect that windows needs more power than SteamOS, so I guess there could be a performance hit if one installs windows 10 on the steam deck, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SiriusVI said:

However, I suspect that windows needs more power than SteamOS, so I guess there could be a performance hit if one installs windows 10 on the steam deck, right?

I doubt it, its a 4 core 8 thread Ryzen 2 CPU  running at up to 3.5ghz with RDNA 2 GPU and 16GB of DDR5 ram that is faster than you have in your PC. It will run Windows just fine, its more powerful than a lot gaming laptops out there that cost a lot more money. Of course we, will need to wait for actual benchmarks, but on paper this is more powerful than my £850 Ryzen laptop.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I doubt it, its a 4 core 8 thread Ryzen 2 CPU  running at up to 3.5ghz with RDNA 2 GPU and 16GB of DDR5 ram that is faster than you have in your PC. It will run Windows just fine, its more powerful than a lot gaming laptops out there that cost a lot more money. Of course we, will need to wait for actual benchmarks, but on paper this is more powerful than my £850 Ryzen laptop.

Well, great! So Windows 10 it is. 😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

I never personally enjoyed playing handhelds.... mostly because it hurts my hands. Will this thing hook up to a TV and does it support xinput from other controllers? Anyone know? 

They are gonna sell a dock separately in the future but any USB C dongle or dock will work, and yes it has bluetooth so connecting a controller is trivial. Its essentially a smaller laptop.

  • Game On 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely keeping a close eye on this, and I might buy myself one if it turns out that I truly can install Windows on it and do whatever I want with it. As per running it natively, it's just a flavor of Linux, so it's gonna run into the same issues we've run into previously with Linux. It works, but not nearly as well as on Windows, and developing a native version is kind of a joke (it would take years).

That said, also, I'm back to developing on Android, and though we don't plan to ever put it on the Play Store, you can expect a new version of the Android app to be out in a month or two.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm definitely keeping a close eye on this, and I might buy myself one if it turns out that I truly can install Windows on it and do whatever I want with it. As per running it natively, it's just a flavor of Linux, so it's gonna run into the same issues we've run into previously with Linux. It works, but not nearly as well as on Windows, and developing a native version is kind of a joke (it would take years).

That said, also, I'm back to developing on Android, and though we don't plan to ever put it on the Play Store, you can expect a new version of the Android app to be out in a month or two.

I much prefer a Windows install anyway. Great news about the android version, though. I've checked out several frontends and there are none that compare to Launchbox, in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2021 at 10:01 AM, Cauptain said:

Hi @Jason Carr,

With the release for the end of the year of the Steam Deck (VALVE) will we have a launchbox version on STEAM?

It would be the perfect wedding for anyone who enjoys online gambling.

 

Claudio

You never, ever would need a steam "version". Steam lets you add any external program you want to your library. Just add Launchbox and you're set.

Install Windows, run Steam in Big Picture and you have a seamless integration.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

You never, ever would need a steam "version". Steam lets you add any external program you want to your library. Just add Launchbox and you're set.

Install Windows, run Steam in Big Picture and you have a seamless integration.

This also seems like a good place / time to remind / introduce people to this LB Plugin: 

Basically allows you to use the Big Picture overlay (including binding custom controls etc.) to anything launched through LB/BB. In a word, its incredible. Per game controller configs for random DOS games? It's got you. Need to launch a modded version of skyrim from a seperate launcher that doesn't allow overlay support even its imported to steam? It's got you. I suspect it'll become a staple of LB on the Steam Deck.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2021 at 5:39 PM, Jason Carr said:

As per running it natively, it's just a flavor of Linux, so it's gonna run into the same issues we've run into previously with Linux. It works, but not nearly as well as on Windows

Launchbox uses .NET, right? I'm not sure whether you're using .NET Core or the classic .NET Framework, but have you tried compiling and running it with the .NET 6.0 preview? .NET Core should already have parity between Windows and Linux, and even moreso in 6.0.

Or do you mean there's a lot of Windows-specific (or Windows-preferred) code in Launchbox itself?

The other point worth noting is that Valve have their fork of WINE called Proton. It's designed to let you play Windows games on Linux, and it's what they'll be using on the Steam Deck. You could see if Launchbox works well in Proton.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I reserved one. A device that can run the entire steam library & 95% of the emulators & can dock to the big TV/wireless controllers...yeah that's the one. Wondering about the emu/retro stuff frontend though. Don't really wanna rip their OS out & install windows. Would be nice with a native LB on it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...