LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@oyehia I just updated both PPSSPP and PPSSPP Gold and both are working just fine for me launching games. You do have to make sure thought that you add your ROMs folder inside of PPSSPP before you're able to launch games. Let me know if it's still not working for you.

Edit: Is anyone else unable to launch games with PPSSPP?

All my games are correctly loaded in PPSSPP, but as soon as i launch them through launchbox i get an error that the file does not exist, remember my roms are on a network drive, not external storage

Thanks,

P.S: if i change the emulator to Retroarch with the PPSSPP core it works fine, so something to do with the standalone emulator

2 hours ago, oyehia said:

All my games are correctly loaded in PPSSPP, but as soon as i launch them through launchbox i get an error that the file does not exist, remember my roms are on a network drive, not external storage

Thanks,

P.S: if i change the emulator to Retroarch with the PPSSPP core it works fine, so something to do with the standalone emulator

Okay, it's clearly an issue with using network storage then. We're already having to use a hack be able to launch games in PPSSPP because they didn't quite implement the storage access framework properly. So unfortunately I don't think there's anything we can do to fix that, at least until PPSSPP changes their launching engine.

23 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, it's clearly an issue with using network storage then. We're already having to use a hack be able to launch games in PPSSPP because they didn't quite implement the storage access framework properly. So unfortunately I don't think there's anything we can do to fix that, at least until PPSSPP changes their launching engine.

No problem, at least we know it's not a launchbox issue :) i will switch to Retroarch core until it's solved on their side

Thanks,

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 10:18 AM, DeadVoivod said:

Btw, perhaps I mention it here, the images in the banner view for Naomi and Naomi 2 are missing, are they considered to be added in the next update?

Thanks. 

On 8/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, Jason Carr said:

@faeran might be able to come up with some here soon.

I would really like this as well, and I started poking around for one among the banners in the media section here but I couldn't find anything similar. Hoping for the awesome work of @faeran to sort this out soon!

3 hours ago, TheDisengaged said:

I would really like this as well, and I started poking around for one among the banners in the media section here but I couldn't find anything similar. Hoping for the awesome work of @faeran to sort this out soon!

Apparently it's already done for the next release.

• Like 1

LaunchBox for Android 1.5-beta-2 is out now with the following:

• Alphanumeric navigation has been added to all games views! It can be accessed with directional navigation, the select button, or via the Jump to Letter option in the top menu.

• Game launching screens are now themeable and have been overhauled! You can choose which launching screen theme/view to use per platform/view via the View Settings option when inside of a games view.

• Individual games can now be added manually with the new Add Game option in the main menu

• Explicit Save and Cancel options have been added to the game Edit Metadata and Edit Additional Versions pages in order to reduce confusion

• Added options to quickly mark a game as completed/incomplete or broken/working in the game details menu

• Controller navigation now properly skips the dividers in the settings menus

• Added new default platform banner images for Sega Naomi and Sega Naomi 2

• Added 83 new font options for theme developers; see the LaunchBox\Themes\Documentation.pdf file on your Android device

• Added a new DictionaryLookupConverter for theme developers; see the LaunchBox\Themes\Documentation.pdf file on your Android device

• Added two new properties to pages for theme developers: TopBarBackgroundColor and UseTransparentTheme; see the LaunchBox\Themes\Documentation.pdf file on your Android device

• Fixed some possible saving/syncing bugs when editing additional versionsFixed some incorrect popup window titles when browsing for files
  • Fixed a rare issue where the edges of previous screenshots would mistakenly show behind videos

• Fixed an issue where launching games with multiple discs via auto-generated m3u files was causing save states not to work in some cases

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Game On 1

Great update! Thank you! I was wondering if refreshing the database is an option for any deleted roms outside the app. And curious if there are plans to change the order of the platforms, that SNES at the very end is just gnawing at me lol. And also maybe an option to mute the video's in launchbox? 

Thanks for all your great work. 

1 hour ago, megadrive said:

Great update! Thank you! I was wondering if refreshing the database is an option for any deleted roms outside the app. And curious if there are plans to change the order of the platforms, that SNES at the very end is just gnawing at me lol. And also maybe an option to mute the video's in launchbox? 

Thanks for all your great work. 

Right now we don't have a "Scan for Deleted ROMs" option like the desktop does...yet. Platform ordering is also a feature on my list to tackle.

Hey @Jason Carr I am having issues with the new beta that it is not letting me add new versions of a game. For example, i am trying to add the 2 players version of gauntlet. If you look at the screen shot's i've attached, i have added the name and the path to the rom but when I click on the "save new additional version" arrow, it takes me back to the edit meta data screen, but the new version is not added. I am using a full mame rom set with no clones. Please help. Screenshot_20220826-140349.thumb.jpg.78d7d002ad6382dc13dd27b8eebc7e86.jpgSmartSelect_20220826-135929.thumb.jpg.f27becb8ff9b50b696b7f26af22e6190.jpg

Edited by Vader

@Jason Carr Hey thanks for the beta, on ayn Odin droid here! A few issues: 1. Atari 800 emulation does not have an option for "Colleen" app. I tried using custom emulator but there were no visible options to choose it. 2. Game gear emulation for "master gear" which I specifically bought, loads and closes the app immediately. 3. Unfortunately I seem to be getting a loop bug, for example I exit any of the dot emu apps (nes.emu etc) using my ayn Odin button to confirm the exit, and then it goes to launchbox and then automatically loads right back into it! It didn't happen before the beta update.  Thanks for considering!

On 8/27/2022 at 7:20 AM, rpc9943 said:

1. Atari 800 emulation does not have an option for "Colleen" app. I tried using custom emulator but there were no visible options to choose it.

This is on my list to add, but probably won't make it into the next release.

2. Game gear emulation for "master gear" which I specifically bought, loads and closes the app immediately.

Thanks, I was able to fix this for the next release.

3. Unfortunately I seem to be getting a loop bug, for example I exit any of the dot emu apps (nes.emu etc) using my ayn Odin button to confirm the exit, and then it goes to launchbox and then automatically loads right back into it! It didn't happen before the beta update.

This is puzzling to me; I'm unable to replicate any loop behavior like you're describing. Can you explain this in more detail? That said, I did just fix launching games with NES.emu on Android 11+.

By the way, for what it's worth, I would highly recommend using a sideloaded version of RetroArch for everything instead of these individual emulators. It tends to work better, is free, and will save you from a bunch of these issues.

Thanks Jason! I really don't like retro arch, these external ones to me are imo way better and specialized... But that's an aside comment..  So I'm going to tell you the steps I have for that loop, just reporting it as a bug. This is on my ayn Odin. Steps: 1. load a game with nes.emu for example 2. Odin doesn't have a back button so I swipe from left screen twice 2. Using controller to select close game 3. It asks really close current game? Choose yes with gamepad button. 4
 Scroll down to exit, confirm with gamepad button. 5. Exits nes.emu, reloads immediately from launchpad.

Happens every time.

I can bypass it by just swiping until it exits, but it's weird that it's looping.

Another issue just arose.

As I turned on my Odin and loaded launchbox , it seems to be stuck in a flickering display as if the upper left triple line menu button was being rapidly pressed... I was able to wriggle out of that somehow, pressing other parts of the screen.

1 hour ago, rpc9943 said:

5. Exits nes.emu, reloads immediately from launchpad.

Do you mean reloads immediately from LaunchBox? Is it NES.emu that is reloading immediately, or LaunchBox? I don't think it's really possible that LaunchBox could be causing an emulator to load repeatedly, so it's probably something else going on with the device.

1 hour ago, rpc9943 said:

As I turned on my Odin and loaded launchbox , it seems to be stuck in a flickering display as if the upper left triple line menu button was being rapidly pressed... I was able to wriggle out of that somehow, pressing other parts of the screen.

To be honest, it sounds like some odd things are going on with the device. Both of these things are issues that I've never seen before anywhere, which tends to be a sign of faulty hardware or misconfiguration somehow. Though it's hard to say without seeing it all firsthand.

Is your device an Odin Pro? Or the non-pro? I ask because @C-Beats does have an Odin Pro and things are working great on it.

LaunchBox for Android 1.5-beta-3 is out now with the following:

• Fixed an issue with replacing images for Android games

• Fixed an issue with adding additional versions

• Fixed issues launching games on Android 11+ with the 2600.emu, ColEm, ColEm+, GBA.emu, GBC.emu, iNES, MasterGear, MD.emu, NES.emu, and PCE.emu emulators

• Added support for Nintendo Game & Watch via the RetroArch GW core

• Like 1