LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

I am LOVING this new update @Jason Carr! Launchbox on Android is getting amazing.

Quick feature request - I've noticed that when a game doesn't match during the scraping, even if I fix the match afterwards on a one-by-one basis, the media downloads just fine (videos and images) but the metadata still doesn't populate. If there's a way to get that going, that would be awesome. 

Anyways, thank you. Keep rocking!

Edited by Nabizzles

Is there a new beta version past 1.5?  I'm on 1.5 and when I start up Launchbox, it tells me a new version is available, but I seems to freeze about 4/5 of the way.  I requested an android build from website and my email just pointed to 1.5.   Thanks.   Really hoping 1.6 will have ordering of the systems.

Sorry, finally went through and I'm now on 1.6 beta-1.  Thanks for the update

Edited by slydog43
added beta

You've done such an incredible job with Launchbox for Android @Jason Carr!

I think it was brought up previously that save/load states are not compatible with emulators like MMJR when booted up via Launchbox-- I was wondering if there is a way that Launchbox could simply boot up the associated app rather than specifically the game itself when a game is selected which may (or may not) allow save states to work again and future-proof the issue? Similar to how Redream works with Android 11.

On 9/3/2022 at 3:19 AM, steven1977 said:

I'm having problems I click on install and then it'll say not found

Sorry for the late reply. I'll need more information as far as what's going on here in order to help though. I'll need the exact error message and the exact steps you're taking.

On 9/4/2022 at 3:56 AM, kSAntiS said:

The update 1.5 was really good ! really like the Start up screens but they are flashing WAY too fast :( can we somehow have the slider for amount of seconds like on the Desktop version?

Thanks! We can probably add that option at a later date.

On 9/4/2022 at 3:32 PM, Nabizzles said:

I am LOVING this new update @Jason Carr! Launchbox on Android is getting amazing.

Quick feature request - I've noticed that when a game doesn't match during the scraping, even if I fix the match afterwards on a one-by-one basis, the media downloads just fine (videos and images) but the metadata still doesn't populate. If there's a way to get that going, that would be awesome. 

Anyways, thank you. Keep rocking!

Thank you much! I will look into that.

On 9/5/2022 at 7:45 PM, Nabizzles said:

Bug Report: Every time I try to replace the clear logo image for the Recently Played category, my Launchbox crashes.

Screenshot_20220905-224502.jpg

Okay, good to know. Will review.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:32 AM, Clads92 said:

On the last version, i can't launch CPS3 Game through RetroArch64 (Core FinalBurnAlpha) works nice if i launch in retroarch directly.

With launchbox get a blackscreen

Please confirm whether or not you're able to do this with any other frontends. I don't currently have a CPS3 set so that would be extensive to get up and running, and whatever the issue is isn't likely to be LaunchBox's fault anyways.

On 9/13/2022 at 11:36 AM, Bawnanable said:

You've done such an incredible job with Launchbox for Android @Jason Carr!

I think it was brought up previously that save/load states are not compatible with emulators like MMJR when booted up via Launchbox-- I was wondering if there is a way that Launchbox could simply boot up the associated app rather than specifically the game itself when a game is selected which may (or may not) allow save states to work again and future-proof the issue? Similar to how Redream works with Android 11.

Yes, and these are bugs with the emulators themselves, for the ones that have that issue. I don't think just starting the emulator only would be a better solution than what we have right now, but perhaps in the future I could add an option for that somewhere.

3 hours ago, fernandocarvalho155 said:

Hello. 
First things first, I'm just loving to have my favorite front end on my Android device!

My only problem until now was not to be able to get NEOGEO MVS images to download.

The set was correcly read with MAME based names but i got no images at all. 

Screenshot_2022-09-16-10-15-37-161_com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.jpg

Hmm, good to know. This is likely because there's just no images on the games database for that platform. You might be able to edit the platform and tell it to Scrape As Arcade. Does that work?

3 hours ago, fernandocarvalho155 said:

Noob question: 
That's a lot of space used by notification and/or menu bar. Any whay to have a full screen view?

Screenshot_2022-09-16-10-23-45-582_com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.jpg

Not currently. We can force the app to be fullscreen, but stupid Android throws hissy fits whenever a popup window comes up, and then it jumps back and forth between fullscreen and not fullscreen, which is jarring and ugly. So in order to properly make the app fullscreen, we would have to forgo using Android's popups and build/draw our own completely from scratch. So that's a long ways off if we're going to tackle it.

38 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Please confirm whether or not you're able to do this with any other frontends. I don't currently have a CPS3 set so that would be extensive to get up and running, and whatever the issue is isn't likely to be LaunchBox's fault anyways.

On which front-end do you want (dig maybe ?) 

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

CPS3 is part of the MAME romset, my guess is its been setup as a platform and Launchbox is set to extract the roms, that will break Arcade games.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Clads92 said:

On which front-end do you want (dig maybe ?) 

It doesn't matter which frontend; Dig would work. I'm only asking to prove whether or not it's even possible to launch those games from a frontend at all, because that helps to eliminate where the problem is.

FYI, the latest Dolphin released on Nvidia Shield finally supports scoped storage, which means my roms on the network should be able to launch, the only issue is i have to launch them twice or three times, the first time i only get the dolphin logo then kicks me back to launchbox the second time the game runs fine!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 6:07 PM, Jason Carr said:

Not currently. We can force the app to be fullscreen, but stupid Android throws hissy fits whenever a popup window comes up, and then it jumps back and forth between fullscreen and not fullscreen, which is jarring and ugly. So in order to properly make the app fullscreen, we would have to forgo using Android's popups and build/draw our own completely from scratch. So that's a long ways off if we're going to tackle it.

Although the lack of 'full screen' doesn't bother me it would be good option to be able to hide the menu bar, maybe a pinch zoom in / out to show and hide or a swipe up to temporarily show.  This way only the thin system bar would be visible which isn't an issue (for me at least).

On 9/16/2022 at 8:21 PM, Jason Carr said:

It doesn't matter which frontend; Dig would work. I'm only asking to prove whether or not it's even possible to launch those games from a frontend at all, because that helps to eliminate where the problem is.

Yep, same problem with Dig :( 
It's ok from retroarch directly, but not with a frontend 

On 9/17/2022 at 1:49 PM, oyehia said:

FYI, the latest Dolphin released on Nvidia Shield finally supports scoped storage, which means my roms on the network should be able to launch, the only issue is i have to launch them twice or three times, the first time i only get the dolphin logo then kicks me back to launchbox the second time the game runs fine!

I have the exact same problems when running Dolphin via Launchbox on Android (Samsung Dex).