LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

I spoke with Tahlreth, the AetherSX2 developer tonight. I was as careful and polite as I could have possibly been, but unfortunately he has no interest in supporting frontends or allowing frontends to launch games in AetherSX2. He ended the conversation with "I might just make the activities private next update", suggesting that he is going to completely disable any chance of frontends launching games at all.

So unfortunately that is bad news, but it is his choice if he does not want frontends to be able to launch games in AetherSX2. From what I can tell, his reasoning is that he wants users to use his user interface only, and does not want it to be hidden or bypassed by a frontend.

So, for now, we have to give up on supporting AetherSX2. :(

That's really unfortunate and short sighted... *Sigh*

The UI of AetherSX2 is nothing to write home about and it'd be so nice to not have to look at it every time I want to play a game... :/

Thanks for trying @Jason Carr

Edited by Nabizzles
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I spoke with Tahlreth, the AetherSX2 developer tonight. I was as careful and polite as I could have possibly been, but unfortunately he has no interest in supporting frontends or allowing frontends to launch games in AetherSX2. He ended the conversation with "I might just make the activities private next update", suggesting that he is going to completely disable any chance of frontends launching games at all.

So unfortunately that is bad news, but it is his choice if he does not want frontends to be able to launch games in AetherSX2. From what I can tell, his reasoning is that he wants users to use his user interface only, and does not want it to be hidden or bypassed by a frontend.

that's unfortunate.  That will end up hurting him in the long term, almost everyone uses emulators from beind a front end these days.  I'd rather convenience than performance in most cases

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Wow, what a bummer. It's certainly his prerogative if he wants to go that route and I'm sure that's fine with the majority of the public. But in the long run it would certainly be nice if he allowed the *option* to those who'd rather use their own frontend such as LaunchBox. While the UI in AetherSX2 is decent enough, it's nothing special to look at and I'd much rather launch games through one UI instead of having to open separate programs each time. Anyways, Jason thanks a lot for the update and it was certainly worth the effort. 

• Like 2

Wow... I've been supporting Tahlreth from the beggining. Even defend him from some scammers showing false gameplays pressuming that was his emu... But this is bad... Selfish in some way. You can want the users use your interface... But you can't make them use it if they don't want to... That's a bad step backwards. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GabiAle97 said:

Wow... I've been supporting Tahlreth from the beggining. Even defend him from some scammers showing false gameplays pressuming that was his emu... But this is bad... Selfish in some way. You can want the users use your interface... But you can't make them use it if they don't want to... That's a bad step backwards. 

I find front ends to be incredibly convenient myself and Aethersx2 is the only one I can't properly launch from launchbox (the others I can just use retroarch I guess) and it sucks that Tahlreth doesn't want to support front ends. But if it was from a developer stand point are there downsides to having emulators run through front ends? I'm still new to all of this and would like to think this decision isn't about arrogance and selfishness

35 minutes ago, Raiga326 said:

I find front ends to be incredibly convenient myself and Aethersx2 is the only one I can't properly launch from launchbox (the others I can just use retroarch I guess) and it sucks that Tahlreth doesn't want to support front ends. But if it was from a developer stand point are there downsides to having emulators run through front ends? I'm still new to all of this and would like to think this decision isn't about arrogance and selfishness

Well... In first hand, I don't see such a "point" nor "benefits" for not allowing frontends work with AetherSX2. Does not have compatibility issues, or performance impact, so... All we have left to think is that this is about arrogance and selfishness, i'm afraid... Really caught me hard that one, specially when I've been a sort of fan of him

23 hours ago, GabiAle97 said:

Well... In first hand, I don't see such a "point" nor "benefits" for not allowing frontends work with AetherSX2. Does not have compatibility issues, or performance impact, so... All we have left to think is that this is about arrogance and selfishness, i'm afraid... Really caught me hard that one, specially when I've been a sort of fan of him

Man, that's messed up. I would have thought that the devs of these emulators would be trying to work together with the community to produce a better overall user experience for everyone. I guess there are some devs that's just out there for themselves and it's really twisted to think about it.

18 hours ago, Thornback said:

PCSX2 eclipses AetherSX2 in any case. I will happily disregard PS2 emulation on Android.

Has there ever been a dev advocating against front ends?

The problem is that PCSX2 isn't on android, I wish the team behind PCSX2 made an android version just like Dolphin did so that way we wouldn't have to worry about this problem. Dolphin doesn't have a problem with supporting front ends but for some reason Tahlreth does.

Just now, slikone27 said:

what are the latest versions?  stable and beta?  i got the download for 0.42 and i can't seem to use the mounted network storage on shield tv.  thanks!

I believe beta 4(1.0} is the latest version, just go to the options menu and turn on "Update to beta releases" and "Check for updates at Start up" then close out of LaunchBox and reopen it and it'll update to the latest release. Sorry, I don't have a shield tv so I can't help with that

1 hour ago, testies said:

how can i download the android beta 2 app?

Same as above comment

3 hours ago, slikone27 said:

what are the latest versions?  stable and beta?  i got the download for 0.42 and i can't seem to use the mounted network storage on shield tv.  thanks!

This is a known issue. Jason, along with basically all other Front-end Devs are trying to figure out a work-around for. As of right now there's no way to access network attached storage with not just front ends but a lot of apps in general thanks to the latest shield experience update (9.0). This SE adopted android 11 which puts a lot of new restrictions on storage. I suggest signing up for the latest Nvidia hot fixes.

8 hours ago, Raiga326 said:

I believe beta 4(1.0} is the latest version, just go to the options menu and turn on "Update to beta releases" and "Check for updates at Start up" then close out of LaunchBox and reopen it and it'll update to the latest release. Sorry, I don't have a shield tv so I can't help with that

Same as above comment

thanks, i updated to the beta but i still cant get launchbox to launch real 3do player. it just takes me to the 3do roms folder but doesnt play the game . im on the anbernic rg552 handheld on android 7.

8 hours ago, Buckshot60 said:

This is a known issue. Jason, along with basically all other Front-end Devs are trying to figure out a work-around for. As of right now there's no way to access network attached storage with not just front ends but a lot of apps in general thanks to the latest shield experience update (9.0). This SE adopted android 11 which puts a lot of new restrictions on storage. I suggest signing up for the latest Nvidia hot fixes.

Thanks all!  When you say nvidia hot fixes you mean for the actual shield tv correct?  i know they are trying to fix plex media server and several other issues which i assume also have network/usb storage issues.

16 minutes ago, slikone27 said:

Thanks all!  When you say nvidia hot fixes you mean for the actual shield tv correct?  i know they are trying to fix plex media server and several other issues which i assume also have network/usb storage issues.

Yes, hot fixes for the shield itself. You have to sign up for them and submit the serial number of your device.

I am using launch box latest beta and update with retroarch cores works great love it. My problem is lb reads usb drive retroarch does not if lb tells retroarch to look on usb works great. But lb does not do dosbox pure on retroarch and retroarch won’t read usb so I am stuck no dos.

New LB Android user here - I just bought a new Nvidia Shield TV Pro and installed the LB APK. It loads fine but when I go to add roms it crashes during the import process. It is also crashing immediately when I attempt to set the Get Latest Build flag to true. I do have USB storage set up and my roms are located there so I'm assuming that's at least part of the issue? Let me know if I can provide debug logs or any additional info. 

Edited by space_plans