LaunchBox Community Forums

Big box freezing on startup

Thilen123

Ive used launchbox for a while now and decided to upgrade to big box. But the second i try to launch big box it freezes on the startup screen, When i take a look in the task manager the cpu use on big box is at 0%. I also get the same problem when i try to open the options menu in launchbox, Ive done a clean install of windows 2 times now and the issue still persists. Im seriously starting to think this is hardware related but i can't be sure of that. any help would be much appreciated.

Specs:

CPU: i5 7600k

MOBO: Prime z270-a

GPU:  gtx 1060 6gb

RAM: 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Edited by Thilen123

3 hours ago, zugswang said:

What version are you on ?

Have you updated your graphics card nvidia drivers to latest version ?

Yep windows is on latest build aswell as C++ runtimes, .NET core and my gpu driver. Ive also re installed big box but the issue still persists. 

Edited by Thilen123

If clearing your temp files helped speed up your load time it would typically indicate that your drive is getting full which is affecting the ability of the OS to index the drive or you could be on a SSD in which case they just read slower when full. I would run a checkdisk scan to ensure you don't have any bad sectors on the drive as well. On start up we do a lot of file loading to help cache information to help Big Box run better, wondering if we are running into any issues with that read process taking longer than usual because of a faulty or failing drive (though I have my doubts it would be the cause for all of you at the same time)

I sincerely doubt that lack of space is causing as significant of a performance hit as you are seeing, but you are well over the recommended max usage of your SSD if you are looking to gain peak performance from it. Generally you want to keep it under 80% utilization if you want max read/write speeds. Do you have debug logging on? If not could you turn it on (in LaunchBox) and then load Big Box and just let it open, run it a minute or so and then close it and send me the log it generates. May get some more pertinent information that way.

• 4 weeks later...

yes I have always had this issue on only one of my PCS. It literlaly takes 5-10min to load a small collection on fresh OS install and fresh bigbox with only a few roms. I have heard varies reports its geforce related and others say its icue which i have both. Closing those apps does nothing. Terminating the services with those apps does nothing. It also freezes when in options on both bigbox (way worse than launchbox) and launchbox. This is such a big issue for me I've never been able to even use it on my main gaming PC with the hardware I need to emulate to greatness. This is so annoying and we need a proper diagnosis and fix. Everything out there others have suggested does not work. 

2 hours ago, abattrick said:

yes I have always had this issue on only one of my PCS. It literlaly takes 5-10min to load a small collection on fresh OS install and fresh bigbox with only a few roms. I have heard varies reports its geforce related and others say its icue which i have both. Closing those apps does nothing. Terminating the services with those apps does nothing. It also freezes when in options on both bigbox (way worse than launchbox) and launchbox. This is such a big issue for me I've never been able to even use it on my main gaming PC with the hardware I need to emulate to greatness. This is so annoying and we need a proper diagnosis and fix. Everything out there others have suggested does not work. 

I have both a Nvidia GPU and obviously drivers, as well as icue on my system. My Launchbox takes less than 10 seconds to load with around 15,000 games imported. So it sounds like something else happening on your system.

2 hours ago, abattrick said:

This is so annoying and we need a proper diagnosis and fix

Then can you please provide a log, the issue is obviously your end so nothing we can "diagnose" with information as vague as "it's slow to load" actual logs would hopefully show something in them as to the holdup.

I’m using the k95 keyboard and the m65 mouse I think it is. Both Corsair and yes I’ve found this known issue information with no resolution and it goes back years. Kinda crap on both Corsair and LaunchBox to have not addressed this by now. Full firmware updates and up to date icue. Also have done fresh installs of OS and it always happens on only the one pc with Corsair hardware. The other two are fine 

12 hours ago, abattrick said:

I’m using the k95 keyboard and the m65 mouse I think it is. Both Corsair and yes I’ve found this known issue information with no resolution and it goes back years. Kinda crap on both Corsair and LaunchBox to have not addressed this by now. Full firmware updates and up to date icue. Also have done fresh installs of OS and it always happens on only the one pc with Corsair hardware. The other two are fine 

Somehow we'll need to pin it down in order to figure it out. Obviously it's not affecting everyone, so it's probably either a specific hardware configuration or a setting in iCUE, or something like that. It doesn't come up often enough for it be a major issue, so I doubt everyone who is running iCUE is affected.

With issues like these, generally, there's not much we can do, as the fault almost always lies with the OS and/or the faulty software that is causing the issues. Usually it's caused by interference with .NET apps in general, which means that it would affect a large number of apps.

That said, just because it's happening on the one system doesn't mean it's necessarily being caused by iCUE. What anti-virus and/or anti-malware software are you running?

14 hours ago, wallmachine said:

The issue i have is once BigBox is opened and the platformview loads BigBox freezes and no keyboard input works. I don't have any of these apps and use Windows defender

Well, it sounds like this thread is unrelated to that, so it would be best to create another thread to troubleshoot. I've not heard of anything like that for the 11.17 release. It could be theme-related, however.

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2021 at 7:39 AM, pixelcide said:

Same here.

Updated to latest video drivers, only antivirus is the one that comes with windows. Set bigbox.exe as an exception to any windows defender tinkering.

I can confirm that what seemed like it not loading because of freezing is just taking a really long time. Sometimes i will get a "Bigbox is not responding, do you want to wait" message, sometimes not. Usually after 10 minutes it just suddenly loads.

I'm having the same issue. Any fix?