LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox on Steam Deck

gupti99

I'm curious is Proton + DXVK not able to serve as a translation layer for Launchbox as it does for so many games? If it doesn't, is it just a matter of improvements in that layer until it can? Proton + DXVK is a key part of the success of the steam deck.

EDIT : I did some digging of my own on the likelihood of this. Possibly not as likely as I'd hoped for (Steam Deck and Proton (Steamworks Documentation) (steamgames.com))

Known Proton Issues

Below are a few recommendations around areas that have been known to be Proton compatibility issues and likely to induce delays in Proton fully supporting a given title after it launches on Steam:

• .NET / WPF: Our recommendation is to use standalone technologies like Qt for launchers instead of OS-dependent frameworks like .NET / WPF. For best results, skip separate launchers altogether and integrate their functionality into the game client UI instead, where controller support is likely better.

Edited by lockian

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add to the conversation. I will happily purchase a a forever license for the third time to get a Linux port, just saying. I recently ditched Windows and mainly use Manjaro (Arch Based) and SteamOS 3. Having Launchbox on the go on a device without a bloated OS would be fantastic. I hope that something is in the works.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for all this, mine just shipped!  Would pay again for this on Steam Deck!  

I also just wanted to point out something that seemed off to me, I feel like comparing a bunch of Windows users because they have a mobile phone, which can be used for EVERYTHING under the sun, vs the people that are buying Steam Deck...which will be used exclusively for video gaming is missing the mark, perhaps, with all due respect.  

I hope this happens, good luck to the team whatever you do, I will look for options while my Steam Deck takes FOREVER to get here!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OnlyHuman said:

+1 for all this, mine just shipped!  Would pay again for this on Steam Deck!  

I also just wanted to point out something that seemed off to me, I feel like comparing a bunch of Windows users because they have a mobile phone, which can be used for EVERYTHING under the sun, vs the people that are buying Steam Deck...which will be used exclusively for video gaming is missing the mark, perhaps, with all due respect.  

I hope this happens, good luck to the team whatever you do, I will look for options while my Steam Deck takes FOREVER to get here!

Steamdecks os and Android are both forks of Linux . That's probably why ya seeing comparisons

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
14 hours ago, shadowfire36 said:

@Jason Carr so i was wondering would it be possible to run big box using photon ? I have seen tutorials where people are running the windows install for PSN the steam by adding some .dll to the directory. I was thinking is it possible to possibly to the same for launchbox ?

This thread has lots of details and back and forth on running LaunchBox and Big Box on Linux using Proton, yes:

However, it's quite the convoluted mess to get going, and it seems to go back and forth on whether it will work new versions that we put out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

However, it's quite the convoluted mess to get going, and it seems to go back and forth on whether it will work new versions that we put out.

wouldnt it make more sense to be able to copy over an already built setup from a windows machine to copy it over with the dll's?

2 hours ago, shadowfire36 said:

wouldnt it make more sense to be able to copy over an already built setup from a windows machine to copy it over with the dll's?

Honestly I have no idea. We did the best we could to get it running back then, and we kept it up and running for a few versions, but we haven't tried since. You're welcome to give it a shot. Unfortunately it didn't get anywhere near enough of a response from the community to merit us investing lots of time into it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2023 at 9:43 PM, Jason Carr said:

Honestly I have no idea. We did the best we could to get it running back then, and we kept it up and running for a few versions, but we haven't tried since. You're welcome to give it a shot. Unfortunately it didn't get anywhere near enough of a response from the community to merit us investing lots of time into it.

Heyoo. i received my steam deck a few months ago. just this week, i finally finished adding a 2 tb m.2, replaced the fan, and replaced the joycons with the gulikit set. all i want to do now is find a way to get launchbox and big box running on linux. since it is possible and it needs attention, setup a kickstarter to see how many people help fund the man hours needed to get it fully functional. i would love to be able to run launchbox with little to no complications on linux and i am sure everyone that has a steam deck will jump on this. plus the youtubers will advertise it which will get linux launchbox even more traction. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Well, as a new owner of a steamdeck I would love to see launchbox there too.

Steamdeck is getting a bigger emulation/retrogaming community every day. You have emudeck, recently ported to windows, to make everything very straightforward. And it goes with emulationstation and pegasus-fe.

I hope you get on the train someday, I would gladly pay for my third license to use it on the steamdeck natively.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...