LaunchBox Community Forums

Why BigBox don't have a decent Home Menu?

soqueroeu

I was wondering why we can't have a home screen where we can make a first choice after opening BigBox... 🤨

It doesn't have to be mandatory. But it would be really cool if we had a welcome screen with a list of the main categories, for example:

Welcome to BigBox "Colorful" !
Please choose a category below or press X to continue where you left off:

Arcade
Console
C
omputers
Handhelds
P
inball

I believe, for a paid product  more than a decade old, we should be evolved.
Please, consider!

Edited by soqueroeu

Moved to appropriate forum section.

8 minutes ago, soqueroeu said:

I believe, for a paid product  more than a decade old, we should be evolved.

This implies that there are have no changes or updates made ever when it receives updates all the time.

9 minutes ago, soqueroeu said:

But it would be really cool if we had a welcome screen with a list of the main categories, for example:

You can have BigBox startup to at the Categories screen already.

You just need set the view to Platform Category. Then you can have that list.

As far as the "Welcome to BigBox Colorful". That can simply be themed by a theme creator. The product has evolved. That's why themes are getting more and more creative thanks to the evolution of the product.

I mean a real home menu. What we have is just direct access to screens.
When you turn on your game console, for example, it doesn't put you right into a gameplay. Movies have opening  or opening credits, PC software always waits for an initial decision. So why can't BigBox offer me an initial choice through a menu?

Well, I'm not sure if it's possible to get what I want. But none of these options give me a home menu. They just take me straight to each of them:

image.thumb.png.b68721b8dce9931b895b399830b3ec74.png

Edited by soqueroeu

2 hours ago, soqueroeu said:

I mean a real home menu. What we have is just direct access to screens.
When you turn on your game console, for example, it doesn't put you right into a game. Movies have opening  or opening credits, PC software always waits for an initial decision. So why can't BigBox offer me an initial choice through a menu?

Yeah it is a bit confusing what you mean. Based on your initial post, Other than the "Welcome to..." this is exactly what you mentioned.

It does not put you right into a game and gives you options to select categories. BigBox is offering you an initial choice through a menu.

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 9.29.54 PM.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C-Beats said:

You have some examples of what you're looking for? What your initial post described is exactly what Platform Category view is by default so your post is a bit confusing.

Yeah!
Okay guys, sorry if I wasn't clear.
I made this mockup image to illustrate what I imagine we should have after the splash screen:

180018611_IdeiaMenuBigBox.thumb.png.69a00c91c3651b2173318c6b5abca7d2.png

Edited by soqueroeu

1 hour ago, soqueroeu said:

Yeah!
I made this mockup image to illustrate what I imagine we should have after the splash screen:

Your mockup looks worse than any of the popular themes set up to start at Platform Categories; zero flashiness nor gameplay, just a boring menu, we already have LB for boring menus.

22 minutes ago, Suhrvivor said:

Your mockup looks worse than any of the popular themes set up to start at Platform Categories; zero flashiness nor gameplay, just a boring menu, we already have LB for boring menus.

Well, I don't think you understand.
My idea is to have a start menu first of all. By choosing a category, you would have access to all the features we already know, including videos.
I just think we should have a screen to make choices, rather than starting with video or active platform.

17 minutes ago, soqueroeu said:

Well, I don't think you understand.
My idea is to have a start menu first of all. By choosing a category, you would have access to all the features we already know, including videos.
I just think we should have a screen to make choices, rather than starting with video or active platform.

You could make this view yourself with the theme creator, and then use another theme for all the other views :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soqueroeu said:

Yeah!

What you mocked up is quite literally what we have been telling you. All you made is a theme view. Its not something that needs to be coded in LB/BB by our devs. It is something a theme creator can make, keep in mind that view would also be the same for the platform level so not conducive to a good theme look.. The pic I posted of the Play Box theme is exactly this. After the BB startup video you get dumped into that main view which gives you all the same categories your pic has. It even allows you to pick from a list of your recently played games. The same thing you are asking for with just a flashier layout.

You can even make what you laid out to use in a theme by using the Community Theme Creator tool.

• Like 1

As others have stated you can make the Platform Category view look exactly like your mockup, though it uses the same view for all the items selected after the fact (like selecting consoles would open to the list of platforms and would look the exact same). You can write plugins to potentially help with that though. The reason something like your mockup isn't implemented is because very few people want to deal with the extra key presses and it just doesn't look all that great on an arcade cab when people walk past and see a generic welcome screen. Most users would prefer something that attracts the user TO the cab like a gameplay video or something similar to how original cabs had attract modes that made you go, "OH look at that!" and come over to it.

• Like 1

Well, this is an interesting point. I think we should ask users what really makes sense, because people are paying to have BigBox.
Do we have a specific forum to bring our ideas? If yes, can you please post the link?

Technically, anything is possible with programming, but if all the answers lead the user to create their own modifications, this can be a little frustrating.
I'm not a coder. Although I have made small changes to some themes, it was all out of curiosity. Personally, I have no idea how to create an entire view for BigBox.

37 minutes ago, soqueroeu said:

Well, this is an interesting point. I think we should ask users what really makes sense, because people are paying to have BigBox.
Do we have a specific forum to bring our ideas? If yes, can you please post the link?

Technically, anything is possible with programming, but if all the answers lead the user to create their own modifications, this can be a little frustrating.
I'm not a coder. Although I have made small changes to some themes, it was all out of curiosity. Personally, I have no idea how to create an entire view for BigBox.

The Request a Feature link at the top of the page, located under Help & Support, is the appropriate section for feature requests. You have the ability to make a request and people can vote on them.

Knowing that, I'll go ahead and lock this thread, as it looks like all current viable options have been presented for anyone willing.

• Like 1

• faeran locked this topic