LaunchBox Community Forums

12.13 Beta Testing

faeran

Bug, but I'm not sure how far along the beta chain it manifested. I import an image for a game and save as a particular image type. In Windows I then download a different image for a different game to the same folder though with the same name, overwriting the previous image. When I drag that new image into the Images section of the game edit window, the thumbnail shows the previous (wrong) image. If I click OK, then the correct image shows in LB. So the end result is OK, but it can be confusing when the wrong image appears when dragged in to the edit window.

20 hours ago, shadowfire said:

Thanks. Yeah plan B is inserting it into another column (I know how to do that) although that's not ideal from a visual and user perspective. (It can e.g. misalign the column header when e.g. the image is left of the title, also images can't be toggled or indicated from the column menu.)

I am considering the Badges column for plan B since it's already based on graphical information and therefor more flexible layout-wise when combining both elements...

@C-Beats Never mind, after playing with it for awhile embedding the image left in the title field seems not too bad. A lot of other apps do this as well so it doesn't look too weird. The only "nice-to-have" would be a way for the user to change it's visibility and/or size but that's probably hard or impossible to do atm. without weird hacks. (I tried to re-purpose the scrollbar visibility binding for this but that feature seems to be broken.)

4 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Bug, but I'm not sure how far along the beta chain it manifested. I import an image for a game and save as a particular image type. In Windows I then download a different image for a different game to the same folder though with the same name, overwriting the previous image. When I drag that new image into the Images section of the game edit window, the thumbnail shows the previous (wrong) image. If I click OK, then the correct image shows in LB. So the end result is OK, but it can be confusing when the wrong image appears when dragged in to the edit window.

If you are manually adding the newer image to the folders the old image is still retained in the image cache. So when you go into LB and then edit images from the metadata screens you need to refresh the image cache. This would typically occur if you had LB open when manually dropping the files in the folder.

12 hours ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

HI there---   Kindly asking for some help please with the Bezels. Can someone more knowledgeable than I, please provide details where Bezel data is stored? I am aware that Retro-arch stores all of the .cfg and PNG files inside of the overlay folder, but when Launch-box collects its Meta-Data for the Bezels, where is it being placed inside of Launch-box?  I need to manually replicate these files across a second Launch-box system without having to clone the entire drive.  I also have some platforms such as PS2 which seem to be storing the Bezels inside of Retro-Arch but they are not being displayed at all inside of Launch-Box for that system...  need to understand how to troubleshoot these paths.. thank you much!!!!

Not sure about Retro-Arch (I rarely use it) but I was told MAME's bezels are placed within MAME's artwork directory and not anywhere within LaunchBox's directory tree. Maybe that helps?

12 hours ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

HI there---   Kindly asking for some help please with the Bezels. Can someone more knowledgeable than I, please provide details where Bezel data is stored? I am aware that Retro-arch stores all of the .cfg and PNG files inside of the overlay folder, but when Launch-box collects its Meta-Data for the Bezels, where is it being placed inside of Launch-box?  I need to manually replicate these files across a second Launch-box system without having to clone the entire drive.  I also have some platforms such as PS2 which seem to be storing the Bezels inside of Retro-Arch but they are not being displayed at all inside of Launch-Box for that system...  need to understand how to troubleshoot these paths.. thank you much!!!!

Bezels aren't saved anywhere inside of LaunchBox's directory permanently. They are downloading to a temporary directory that is deleted when LaunchBox is closed. There is also no way to view an individual game's bezel inside of LaunchBox at this time.

What data ties the bezel path location to the platform itself? I have some platforms such as ps2 and 3do which show bezels collected inside of retroarch, but not being populated in the platform.. is there a way to manually rename the configs to fix this? Also, the default bezels are downloaded but are not populating in the platform…Appreciate…

Edited by MazJohn [Mr Arcade]

52 minutes ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

What data ties the bezel path location to the platform itself? I have some platforms such as ps2 and 3do which show bezels collected inside of retroarch, but not being populated in the platform.. is there a way to manually rename the configs to fix this? Also, the default bezels are downloaded but are not populating in the platform…Appreciate…

Not sure I understand the question. A games platform is only used to determine what BezelProject repository to pull from. After that everything is driven by the ROMs file name.

4 minutes ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

@C-BeatsAppreciate… So if the bezel is derived purely from the rom name or game file name, and the file name is tagged and named the same as in the Launchbox database, what would cause the bezel not to be assigned after its downloaded? Is that some sort of bug?  Im out of ideas… thx

Filename has to match the file name used in the Bezel Project repository (or close to it) for us to be able assign it a bezel. You can check on the names they use by checking their GitHub page

@C-BeatsThanks for this explination ... which explains why i have a few platforms that have fully downloaded bezeis that never show, From what i can see unless mistaken, , Checking the names on the github page does not seem to be very useful when dealing with large collections- it also seems that the github page truncates anything over 1000 titles so for PS2 it only shows up to letter C.... So it seems some of my rom sets may not be named correctly but i never worried with some platforms because they were close enough and i rely on launcbox to rename them in its own database. While i appreciate this feature being added and have been waiting a long time for it to come, It seems like in current state functionality wise,  the Bezels just wont work 100 percent for me with a few of the systems, Too much manual overhead to hunt down file names im afraid.... If there was somehow a way to use the file name provided by the Launchbox database naming convention instead to parse the bezels for download,, that would solve this issue for every platform... I guess easier said then done... the majority works- i'd say about  25 percent or so are missing bezel sets,. I still dont get why the default system bezel is not always being substituted...,,,thanks.

Edited by MazJohn [Mr Arcade]

Thanks as always for the ongoing improvements guys - much appreciated!  Hoping for a small quality of life tweak if it's possible!  With the option to Download Bezels, is it possible to have the import wizard remember your previous choice like it does with the other images?  As I'm not really interested in using bezels I need to manually untick the box every time I'm importing a game and as I'm still in muscle memory mode, I sometimes click through without changing it and then accidentally download them... it's a small thing for me to have to do each time but every click saved etc!

EDIT: Okay, it's started doing this itself now... I'm possibly going mad but it absolutely wasn't working for me earlier!  Never mind!!

Edited by Ritchardo

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 6:31 PM, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

@C-BeatsThanks for this explination ... which explains why i have a few platforms that have fully downloaded bezeis that never show, From what i can see unless mistaken, , Checking the names on the github page does not seem to be very useful when dealing with large collections- it also seems that the github page truncates anything over 1000 titles so for PS2 it only shows up to letter C.... So it seems some of my rom sets may not be named correctly but i never worried with some platforms because they were close enough and i rely on launcbox to rename them in its own database. While i appreciate this feature being added and have been waiting a long time for it to come, It seems like in current state functionality wise,  the Bezels just wont work 100 percent for me with a few of the systems, Too much manual overhead to hunt down file names im afraid.... If there was somehow a way to use the file name provided by the Launchbox database naming convention instead to parse the bezels for download,, that would solve this issue for every platform... I guess easier said then done... the majority works- i'd say about  25 percent or so are missing bezel sets,. I still dont get why the default system bezel is not always being substituted...,,,thanks.

Can you explain specific situations/platforms where you're having issues? I'm having trouble following.