LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 3D Model and Image Priorities

spycat

@Suhrvivor regarding your post in the beta thread.

I, too, have a similar dilemma where I want to show a static, flippable 3D box image in the LaunchBox main window while also being able to use the 3D Model viewer using Box Front, Back and Spine images.
My way around this at the moment is to add a full scan of the boxart to the Box - Full folder and use the Enable Full Scan Images option in the 3D Model Settings.
Note: If you have a Box - Spine image in the game's Media Images then you may want to remove it. I find that it screws with the 3D Model viewer when I use the Enable Full Scan Images override.
Some folk like to use images such as Banners, Clear Logos, Carts, Discs and so on in the LaunchBox main window, so hopefully down the line the devs will separate the 3D Model image requirements from the Priorities settings and the normal Front/Back/Spine images will be used as default irrespective of the main window preferences.

By the way, how are you displaying the 3D image in a transparent box, is it theme related? It looks great. Mine shows in a black box as in the image here.

3d_viewer.jpg

Hey this was the first post i saw talking about the new 3D Box feature. Love it. I have been grinding away at my japanese collection making 3d boxes for the old view, Front and spine/one side. Almost all the japanese games 3d box images are not correct and it bugged med. Having the acctual boxes in my collection i have either found full scans online or scanned my own and made the boxes using cover commander. I Have however only been able to use like i mentioned "Pictures" of two sides. What format do the DB need for me to upload my boxes? And if its even possible... I hope so seeing that everyone else can take part in my tiny bit of ocd :)

im adding one box to show how i have cut  the scan up (Minus the front and back) then added to a 3d model.

842442711_NinjaraHoi!bottom.png

603116752_NinjaraHoi!left.png

1297843159_NinjaraHoi!right.png

384171110_NinjaraHoi!top.png

Ninjara Hoi!.png

• Like 4

On 11/17/2022 at 2:58 PM, Retrofrogg said:

@TheHillbillyGamerDon't forget to share that great work! I plan to start similar work; it would be good to avoid duplication. 

I will, but where do i upload all this and under what catogory? The DB im at 45 Famicom boxes, 2 PC engine cd, 4 saturn(not even scractched the surface on what i own in japanese there) Im readdy to share it all. Maby i should make a media package or something? I have been away for a few days but there still is no option to upload top,bottom, left and right and only spine jet? Full3D box i have not tried to upload to as i do now know what to upload :D

19 hours ago, TheHillbillyGamer said:

I will, but where do i upload all this and under what catogory? The DB im at 45 Famicom boxes, 2 PC engine cd, 4 saturn(not even scractched the surface on what i own in japanese there) Im readdy to share it all. Maby i should make a media package or something? I have been away for a few days but there still is no option to upload top,bottom, left and right and only spine jet? Full3D box i have not tried to upload to as i do now know what to upload :D

Right now the websites have been going through a pretty large number of improvements and changes, and because of those we have not been able to add the new image types to the website just yet. If you have a pack like that I'd suggest uploading them to the forums download section for now. Users can then use the image pack importer to import and apply them to their collection.

On 11/21/2022 at 3:53 PM, C-Beats said:

Right now the websites have been going through a pretty large number of improvements and changes, and because of those we have not been able to add the new image types to the website just yet. If you have a pack like that I'd suggest uploading them to the forums download section for now. Users can then use the image pack importer to import and apply them to their collection.

No pack JET! Im slowly working through the boxes on my shelves and then in GIMP one at a time so i will either keep at it until i finish one console, Famicom f.exs, then if no option to upload the sides and tops are jet there il smack a media zip together and upload for sure :) love that my collectors ocd might help other out :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

If I understand this feature correctly, at this moment we can only use box pictures for three type of views: Box-Front, Box-Back and Spine
1371907079_Screenshot3DBoxImages.png.b60fc5d15462d6bbed5e725eb97bfbc8.png
Is this right?

What about the other sides of a box? In example Box-Top, Box-Bottom?

In case of "Spine" - wouldn't it be better to use something like "Spine-Left" and "Spine-Right" ?

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 2:41 AM, grki said:

If I understand this feature correctly, at this moment we can only use box pictures for three type of views: Box-Front, Box-Back and Spine
1371907079_Screenshot3DBoxImages.png.b60fc5d15462d6bbed5e725eb97bfbc8.png
Is this right?

What about the other sides of a box? In example Box-Top, Box-Bottom?

In case of "Spine" - wouldn't it be better to use something like "Spine-Left" and "Spine-Right" ?

Yeah thats really good question because other sides takes only color not graphics.

Edited by eonder87

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 11:41 PM, grki said:

I've raised this also, and have been speaking to @faeran about it. I'm hoping that we can have the functionality to add all 6 spine images. Faeran has demonstrated the work involved in this including the testing etc. Fingers crossed we can get it implemented. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 6:45 AM, Retrofrogg said:

I've raised this also, and have been speaking to @faeran about it. I'm hoping that we can have the functionality to add all 6 spine images. Faeran has demonstrated the work involved in this including the testing etc. Fingers crossed we can get it implemented. 

+1 to hoping for this. Platforms such as the N64 would benefit greatly and bring the 3D models to the next level.

• Like 2

Got a quick question on the 3D jewel cases, which are turning out to be amazing btw.
Is it possible to change the jewel case type (European vs. North American) on a game by game basis? I could only find it on a system level right now.
There are lots of games that are only one region for PS1 for example. Also the current 3D jewel case for European boxes don't seem to have the correct thickness. We got the chunky cases over here, and they also got a slight rounded feel.
Same issue also goes for the multi-disc cases.
Are Jewel case variants like this on the list somewhere? :)

As always, thank to everyone for the amazing work. The 3D cases is shaping up to be one of my favorite new features :D