LaunchBox Community Forums

Platform Icons

5thWolf

So I tried renaming the icons to my platform and it didn't do anything. Double checked spelling and all. What exactly is the icon looking at for pairing? Does the system/console need to have a scrap for the icon to work?
I did a custom VR and Windows platform with nothing scrapped, incase that is the issue.

Edited by 5thWolf

Changing out icons requires a premium license. If you don't have one the app won't use those files at all. There is no max resolution, but default has been designed and coded to only display the icon at a 24x24 resolution regardless of the size of image used. Themes can display them at whatever size they want.

• Thanks 1

I have always had the license.
Thank you for the Icon info!!

Also, I just discovered that there is no need for scrapping. I got the VR one to work when I added in a new custom icon. The Windows one is the only one not working now. It is labeled " Microsoft Windows 3.x - 95' ". I am wondering if the apostrophe is the issue in the name.

Edited by 5thWolf

On 3/3/2023 at 3:49 PM, invada said:

I had the same issue with apostrophes. It would be good if it could support platform/playlist names with apostrophes in them. Have to remove the apostrophe from the name of the playlist and icon.png file to get it to work.

Pretty sure it was mentioned earlier in this thread that in the icon file name you can simply replace the apostrophe with an underscore and you should be good to go.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, faeran said:

Pretty sure it was mentioned earlier in this thread that in the icon file name you can simply replace the apostrophe with an underscore and you should be good to go.

Thanks so much faeran. This was indeed the fix!

• 4 months later...

Guys, although I love the idea of the icons, overall it looks half-a$$ed over here because there are many missing, resulting in many blanks in that column on the left side of the Launchbox UI. I tried to find a way to fill in the gaps but to no avail, so I suppose it's a premium feature only. All right, I understand. But IMHO the premium feature should be altering the size of the default icons. We should still have default icons for each category on the free version of Launchbox, or the right to set at least one (and multiple for the premium version for ex.?).

Here are the notable icons that are missing:

In the ARCADE category:

-Ball & Paddle games

-Board & Card games

-Candy Cabs (custom category)

-Global VR PC-based (custom category)

-Konami PC-based (custom category)

-MUGEN (custom category.. I think?)

-Namco ES3  (custom category)

-Raw Thrills  (custom category)

-Run & Gun games

-Sega Europa-R  (custom category)

-Sega Lindbergh  (custom category)

-Sega Nu  (custom category)

-Sega PC-based  (custom category)

-Sega RingEdge   (custom category)

-Sega RingWide   (custom category)

-Taito NesicaXLive   (custom category)

-Teknoparrot   (custom category)

-Toaplan Classics   (custom category but should've been there from the get-go tbh)

In the COMPUTERS category:

They're all here as far as I'm concerned, but the online stores like Steam, GOG and Epic games store all have the windows icon, and they should have their own. Plus Windows icon copy & pasted like that doesn't look good.

In the CONSOLES category:

-NEC PC Engine  CD-ROM²

-Nintendo Super CD (custom category. Yeah that peripheral that ended up becoming the PlayStation, y'know...)

In the PORTABLES category:

-Nintendo's Game & Watch

On top of that I miss plenty of icons for all my categories I created like "Mature games", "Laserdisc games", "Play later", "Popular" (favorites), and all the ones dedicated to a particular series of games in an IP like The Simpsons, Mortal Kombat, Silent Hill, Ghostbusters, Looney Tunes, Star Wars, etc. And I don't suppose the guys who are in charge of the development of the LB/BB software can come up with icons for all the categories each one of us is going to create based on our taste, so how about letting us add at least one icon, even in the free version of LB? Pretty please?

Wouldn't that make for a nice addition in a future software update? 

Edited by vince16

7 hours ago, vince16 said:

Guys, although I love the idea of the icons, overall it looks half-a$$ed over here because there are many missing, resulting in many blanks in that column on the left side of the Launchbox UI. I tried to find a way to fill in the gaps but to no avail, so I suppose it's a premium feature only. All right, I understand. But IMHO the premium feature should be altering the size of the default icons. We should still have default icons for each category on the free version of Launchbox, or the right to set at least one (and multiple for the premium version for ex.?).

Here are the notable icons that are missing:

In the ARCADE category:

-Ball & Paddle games

-Board & Card games

-Candy Cabs (custom category)

-Global VR PC-based (custom category)

-Konami PC-based (custom category)

-MUGEN (custom category.. I think?)

-Namco ES3  (custom category)

-Raw Thrills  (custom category)

-Run & Gun games

-Sega Europa-R  (custom category)

-Sega Lindbergh  (custom category)

-Sega Nu  (custom category)

-Sega PC-based  (custom category)

-Sega RingEdge   (custom category)

-Sega RingWide   (custom category)

-Taito NesicaXLive   (custom category)

-Teknoparrot   (custom category)

-Toaplan Classics   (custom category but should've been there from the get-go tbh)

In the COMPUTERS category:

They're all here as far as I'm concerned, but the online stores like Steam, GOG and Epic games store all have the windows icon, and they should have their own. Plus Windows icon copy & pasted like that doesn't look good.

In the CONSOLES category:

-NEC PC Engine  CD-ROM²

-Nintendo Super CD (custom category. Yeah that peripheral that ended up becoming the PlayStation, y'know...)

In the PORTABLES category:

-Nintendo's Game & Watch

On top of that I miss plenty of icons for all my categories I created like "Mature games", "Laserdisc games", "Play later", "Popular" (favorites), and all the ones dedicated to a particular series of games in an IP like The Simpsons, Mortal Kombat, Silent Hill, Ghostbusters, Looney Tunes, Star Wars, etc. And I don't suppose the guys who are in charge of the development of the LB/BB software can come up with icons for all the categories each one of us is going to create based on our taste, so how about letting us add at least one icon, even in the free version of LB? Pretty please?

Wouldn't that make for a nice addition in a future software update? 

A lot of those are custom platforms as the Game DB does not break out the different arcade boards (most will show up with the "Arcade" logo). Looking in the free version though I do see logos for some of the ones you mention. Giving free users full functionality for a feature would defeat the purpose of enticing a user to buy a license to support the hard work of the devs and help future development.