LaunchBox Community Forums

13.9 Beta Thread

faeran

Hi all,

I have a little and annoying problem that occur sometimes.

I am using Omni theme but I suppose that it is not related to it.

I try to explain it in few words.

I add a new rom/link to LB by dropping an icon on it (drag and drop procedure)

It happens that:

after I have dropped the icon on LB and appeared the Import menu

AND

Lb makes some update on some operation that I have just finished  (like another import for example)

---> the Import window disappears (like there was another process that takes the upper hand).

In that moment I am not able to resume the import window and I can only alt+F4. On Windows system bar there are two LB windows, that is correct, but I cannot recover the window that I need.

If I am right, can be inserted an "always on top" attribute on window import? This question is only made to make more understandable the problem, I know that you know how to resolve any bug, if any, in a better way ^__^

thank you 

is there any way to figure out why some games don't send hi-scores to the Community Leaderboard?
(like is there a log file where I can search for errors?)

I just tried setting a hi-score on Eyes (US set 1) which is the version listed as supported.. the game saved my score, so that I could see it the next time I booted it up .. but my score did not show up on the weekly Leaderboard, which is empty at the moment, there are lots of scores in the yearly, and since not a lot of people play this (brilliant) game, my sad score should have been in the top10.. :)

I know the score uploading works since I uploaded a (not very impressive) score from muchi muchi pork a few hours earlier :)
So if anyone know how to track down this issue, please help...

PS i just installed launchbox yesterday, and upgraded to this beta right away, so I don't know if this is a new problem or an old one?

5 minutes ago, stensgaard said:

is there any way to figure out why some games don't send hi-scores to the Community Leaderboard?
(like is there a log file where I can search for errors?)

I just tried setting a hi-score on Eyes (US set 1) which is the version listed as supported.. the game saved my score, so that I could see it the next time I booted it up .. but my score did not show up on the weekly Leaderboard, which is empty at the moment, there are lots of scores in the yearly, and since not a lot of people play this (brilliant) game, my sad score should have been in the top10.. :)

I know the score uploading works since I uploaded a (not very impressive) score from muchi muchi pork a few hours earlier :)
So if anyone know how to track down this issue, please help...

PS i just installed launchbox yesterday, and upgraded to this beta right away, so I don't know if this is a new problem or an old one?

Welcome in. You'll want to either create a separate thread, or go to the high scores thread to ask these questions. This wouldn't be beta related.

4 hours ago, xevious1974 said:

Hi all,

I have a little and annoying problem that occur sometimes.

I am using Omni theme but I suppose that it is not related to it.

I try to explain it in few words.

I add a new rom/link to LB by dropping an icon on it (drag and drop procedure)

It happens that:

after I have dropped the icon on LB and appeared the Import menu

AND

Lb makes some update on some operation that I have just finished  (like another import for example)

---> the Import window disappears (like there was another process that takes the upper hand).

In that moment I am not able to resume the import window and I can only alt+F4. On Windows system bar there are two LB windows, that is correct, but I cannot recover the window that I need.

If I am right, can be inserted an "always on top" attribute on window import? This question is only made to make more understandable the problem, I know that you know how to resolve any bug, if any, in a better way ^__^

thank you 

This could also use its own thread, where you can do some troubleshooting. This wouldn't be beta related.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Beta 2 is out with the start of a new feature inside of Big Box called the Game Discovery Center. This feature is still a work in progress, but can be accessed in its current form from the System Menu. The idea of this feature is to be a dynamically changing list of lists that provides users new ways to explore their own library of games. The view is fully themeable, but we recommend that theme developers hold off for now as the XAML code contains a lot of placeholders.

The next beta should contain new types of lists while making the lists more random and dynamic (instead of the static ones we have in place for now). 

Here's the complete changelog for beta 2:

• New Feature: Big Box has a new view called Game Discovery Center, which allows you to discover your games in new ways. Access it through the system menu, or optionally make it your startup view
  • Improvement: Added a View Additional Documents menu option to Game Details in Big Box
  • Improvement: LaunchBox will now scroll the selected item into view when a side panel is hidden/unhidden
  • Fixed: Epic Game Store re-authentication time-out period has been increased for slower internet connections
  • Fixed: Issues with the Theme-specific Background Music (introduced in beta 1)
  • Like 8
  • Game On 1

There is a bug present in all versions, it is not very important, but it is annoying.

When editing a system that points to a rom path that doesn't exist, Launchbox exits directly. For example, if we have an External HDD but we do not connect it, when editing a system/platform, it gives an error, it says that the directory could not be created and an accept button, but when pressed, launchbox closes.

It would have to continue to editor mode and then, even if the routes are checked, tell you a message like the route does not exist and whether or not you want to continue, saving the changes, with the route that does not exist unless you decide to change it.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 12:04 PM, faeran said:

Hi Everyone,

Beta 2 is out with the start of a new feature inside of Big Box called the Game Discovery Center. This feature is still a work in progress, but can be accessed in its current form from the System Menu. The idea of this feature is to be a dynamically changing list of lists that provides users new ways to explore their own library of games. The view is fully themeable, but we recommend that theme developers hold off for now as the XAML code contains a lot of placeholders.

The next beta should contain new types of lists while making the lists more random and dynamic (instead of the static ones we have in place for now). 

Here's the complete changelog for beta 2:

• New Feature: Big Box has a new view called Game Discovery Center, which allows you to discover your games in new ways. Access it through the system menu, or optionally make it your startup view
  • Improvement: Added a View Additional Documents menu option to Game Details in Big Box
  • Improvement: LaunchBox will now scroll the selected item into view when a side panel is hidden/unhidden
  • Fixed: Epic Game Store re-authentication time-out period has been increased for slower internet connections
  • Fixed: Issues with the Theme-specific Background Music (introduced in beta 1)

Excited to see the game discovery center. Sounds fun!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ToniBC said:

There is a bug present in all versions, it is not very important, but it is annoying.

When editing a system that points to a rom path that doesn't exist, Launchbox exits directly. For example, if we have an External HDD but we do not connect it, when editing a system/platform, it gives an error, it says that the directory could not be created and an accept button, but when pressed, launchbox closes.

It would have to continue to editor mode and then, even if the routes are checked, tell you a message like the route does not exist and whether or not you want to continue, saving the changes, with the route that does not exist unless you decide to change it.

Thanks. This is a known issue that's been around for a long while. It's on our long term list to take care of, but most likely will not make it in this next version.

2 hours ago, Rlad said:

In game discovery the first wheel jumps off screen on navigating right, like you've got to the end after only pressing right once.

Thanks for the confirmation. This would happen if your list contains only a handful of items. It will be fixed in the next version.

• Like 1

New Discover Center is a neat addition. Noticing sometimes images for random slots are not loading. In any row 1 or more games will have a gray square. Scroll up or down a couple times and eventually the images appear.  Seems to only occur on initial entry into the Discovery view. Back out and come back minutes later and it will happen again. Was able to see this happen on several cabinets. Seems like the images have not recached assuming these lists update on each entry to the view.

I do like you can edit the xaml and create your own listings. Had to tinker to see what was under the hood. 

37 minutes ago, Sbaby said:

bigbox no longer shows the additional apps section, despite the setting being active. Please fix this bug

I was forced to revert to 13.8

What theme are you using? No issues here. 

There is a new feature for "View Additional Documents" which is where any cheats or other documents for a game are now located. You can see it 5 items below Additional Apps in the pic. 

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 7.23.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 7.28.40 PM.png

30 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

What theme are you using? No issues here. 

There is a new feature for "View Additional Documents" which is where any cheats or other documents for a game are now located. You can see it 5 items below Additional Apps in the pic. 

I have been using "Additional Apps/Versions" for a long time, my theme is CleanBG, until version 13.8 I regularly see the "Additional Apps/Versions" section in Bigbox

By installing the new beta version of launchbox, it disappears from bigbox.

Edited by Sbaby

2 minutes ago, Sbaby said:

I have been using "Additional Apps/Versions" for a long time, my theme is CleanBG, until version 13.8 I regularly see the "Additional Apps/Versions" section in Bigbox, since the new beta it has disappeared.

Can you test a different theme. Also provide a pic of what you are seeing from the Game Details screen. 

I just tested a bunch of themes with no issues so would be good to see what your screen looks like. 

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Can you test a different theme. Also provide a pic of what you are seeing from the Game Details screen. 

I just tested a bunch of themes with no issues so would be good to see what your screen looks like. 

I have not changed theme for years, I have never had problems with additional apps

This is how I see the additional apps section.

With the new version of lb, I don't see it at all, it doesn't exist in the list

image.thumb.png.7d7f9f7c6e42868e07e5093041b2f870.png

5 minutes ago, Sbaby said:

I have not changed theme for years, I have never had problems with additional apps

I understand that it is not appearing for you. No need to repeat the same thing over and over. I am just trying to get more information for the devs. 

I am lost though. You say it is missing but the pic you posted clearly shows it is there. 

Is this a pic from a different theme than CleanBG?

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I understand that it is not appearing for you. No need to repeat the same thing over and over. I am just trying to get more information for the devs. 

I am lost though. You say it is missing but the pic you posted clearly shows it is there. 

Is this a pic from a different theme than CleanBG?

This a pic from CleanBG (13.8 version)

To show you that it is not there I would have to reinstall beta 13.9 and I honestly don't trust it. In the picture you see it correctly because I went back to 13.8 and it works

Edited by Sbaby

1 minute ago, Sbaby said:

This a pic from CleanBG?

To show you that it is not there I would have to reinstall beta 13.9 and I honestly don't trust it. In the picture you see it correctly because I went back to 13.8 and it works

OK Thanks for clarifying. You will have to wait for the devs over the next few days to see if one of them can replicate the issue. Hopefully they can. 

I did test the lates beta over several cabinets and with CleanBG theme and I can see additional apps so it does not seem to be something affecting all users. Maybe since you are using a translated version of LB the issue lies within the translated version. It is a holiday weekend here in the States so devs may not be able to get back to you on this until Monday. 

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

OK Thanks for clarifying. You will have to wait for the devs over the next few days to see if one of them can replicate the issue. Hopefully they can. 

I did test the lates beta over several cabinets and with CleanBG theme and I can see additional apps so it does not seem to be something affecting all users. Maybe since you are using a translated version of LB the issue lies within the translated version. It is a holiday weekend here in the States so devs may not be able to get back to you on this until Monday. 

no problem, thanks for your attention ☺️ In the meantime I will stay with the stable version 13.8

12 hours ago, Sbaby said:

In this screenshot, can you list the file names of all the files here that they are pointing to.

Thanks for the Game Discovery Center addition LB team. Very cool feature. Couple little things:

When the game doesn't have a clear logo, the white placeholder text only gets a few letters on the screen for the preview. Any chance it could be resized when there isn't a clear logo?

Also, seeing how the setup has a similar vibe to Netflix, is there any chance the game video could play after being on a selection for a few seconds? Netflix does it as a kind of preview, thought it might look good in this setup as well.

Either way, thanks for the continued improvements!

• Like 3