LaunchBox Community Forums

Unified Redux 1.8

(8 reviews)

13 Screenshots

About This File

Unified Redux is a very slight re-imagining of @CriticalCid's amazing Unified theme, focusing on minor tweaks to improve the experience based on the LaunchBox developer's personal preferences. Changes from the original theme are listed below:

• Rounder wheels
  • Much faster-spinning discs
  • Wheel shadows
  • Videos maintain their aspect ratios
  • Smoother transitions in a few spots
  • Top bar modified to prevent triangle corner overlap issues

Version 1.8 - Released March 26, 2019 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.6):

• Fixed several potential issues due to accidentally using the Unified folder instead of the Unified Redux folder

Version 1.7 - Released March 25, 2019 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.6):

• Removed several unnecessary plugins for functionality now built-in to LaunchBox\Big Box
  • Modified XAML to better support Big Box 9.5/9.6 (solves several minor visual issues, primarily with text lists)

Version 1.6 - Released December 3, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.1):

• Added a new PrioritizedPathSelector plugin, which helps to ensure that proper images are shown for complicated playlist scenarios (multiple fallback priorities, etc.)

Version 1.5 - Released November 26, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.1):

• Fixed issue with Arcade/MAME playlists not using proper media

Version 1.4 - Released November 15, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.0):

• Pointer images will now change when entering into nested platforms and categories
  • Year and manufacturer text will no longer show up on platform views when those values don't exist
  • Publisher listed in the game details has been changed to developer, which is more important information to display
  • Developer, genre, and play mode text will no longer show up on game views when those values don't exist
  • Ratings displayed in the game views now show your personal rating instead of the community rating, if you've previously rated the game

Version 1.3 - Released November 12, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.0):

• Added much better support for the new nested categories and playlists in LaunchBox\Big Box 9.0 (no more black screens) :)

Version 1.2 - Released August 31, 2018:

• Removed Grila's weather plugin. As awesome as it is, it was causing 1-2 second delays loading up every view.

Version 1.1 - Released August 30, 2018:

• Background images revamped (and in some cases removed) for common platforms in order to increase readability of the wheels and remove JPEG artifacts (many of the Classics playlists had backgrounds with horrible artifacts from Hyperspin). Thanks to @RetroHumanoid for many of the new backgrounds.
  • Removed the default Big Box logo for platforms or playlists with no logos. Even we're not that in love with the Big Box logo. ;)
  • Added background fanart images for some playlists that will show up if there are no videos for that playlist; previously the theme was showing a black screen in this case.
  • Reduced the size of the theme by over 350 MB by converting the background images from PNGs to maximum-quality JPGs. There is no perceived quality loss and now the theme is less than half the size.
  • Modified/removed some of the video borders with characters in order to better support the new arcade playlists (some of them were irrelevant to arcade games) and make room for arcade flyer images, which used to half-overlap the characters.

Highly recommended: Modify your "Images" > "3D Box Priorities" settings in LaunchBox to include "Box - Front" and "Advertisement Flyer - Front" images in order to display regular box or arcade flyer images if no 3D box image exists.

Please note: You will need to completely delete the previous version of the theme before putting in the new version in order to get all the updates (such as removing the Big Box logo and the space-saving JPG files).

Demo Video:

Examples of changes/additions to the 1.1 version of the theme:

1597608936_BallPaddle.thumb.jpg.c20ec34faecba5f9ce3d3317ff660573.jpg1868599061_BeatEmUps.thumb.jpg.a26702b81c2272a76c0230dfdffd3777.jpgPlatform.thumb.jpg.683a9c4c063df96a0d5d1eb402b844eb.jpg1092617485_RunGun.thumb.jpg.ecffa77fd3d366c77e95b639e10df01c.jpg2-Player.thumb.jpg.0463ed10160b0958c5ba2371eec76506.jpgPuzzle.thumb.jpg.2ecb78a8409d77790dbe6a468c4ed93b.jpg

Please see @CriticalCid's original Unified theme for installation and troubleshooting instructions. Requires LaunchBox Big Box 8.0 or greater.

Huge thanks goes out to @CriticalCid for the original theme, as well as the many different Hyperspin contributors who donated their time and talent to build an awesome, cohesive experience:

Gibbawho
@Styphelus
Unknown50862
@Klopjero
Neonrage
@knewlife
@Creloce
Ghostlost https://www.youtube.com/user/GhostlostGames
@ninja2bceen
@THK
adamg
Rkh
Rondar
@scooter1974
Zinger19
Aloner187
@guyverjay
MetalThrix
SophT
Ledgerewskie
hoscarconh https://www.youtube.com/user/hoscarconh
@viking
@RetroHumanoid http://retrohumanoid.weebly.com/

What's New in Version 1.8   See changelog

Released

Version 1.8 - Released March 26, 2019 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.6):

• Fixed several potential issues due to accidentally using the Unified folder instead of the Unified Redux folder

Version 1.7 - Released March 25, 2019 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.6):

• Removed several unnecessary plugins for functionality now built-in to LaunchBox\Big Box
  • Modified XAML to better support Big Box 9.5/9.6 (solves several minor visual issues, primarily with text lists)

Version 1.6 - Released November 26, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.1):

• Added a new PrioritizedPathSelector plugin, which helps to ensure that proper images are shown for complicated playlist scenarios (multiple fallback priorities, etc.)

Version 1.5 - Released November 26, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.1):

• Fixed issue with Arcade/MAME playlists not using proper media

Version 1.4 - Released November 15, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.0):

• Pointer images will now change when entering into nested platforms and categories
  • Year and manufacturer text will no longer show up on platform views when those values don't exist
  • Publisher listed in the game details has been changed to developer, which is more important information to display
  • Developer, genre, and play mode text will no longer show up on game views when those values don't exist
  • Ratings displayed in the game views now show your personal star rating instead of the community star rating, if you've previously rated the game

Version 1.3 - Released November 12, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.0):

• Added much better support for the new nested categories and playlists in LaunchBox\Big Box 9.0 (no more black screens) :)

Version 1.2 - Released August 31, 2018:

• Removed Grila's weather plugin. As awesome as it is, it was causing 1-2 second delays loading up every view.

Version 1.1 - Released August 30, 2018:

• Background images revamped (and in some cases removed) for common platforms in order to increase readability of the wheels and remove JPEG artifacts (many of the Classics playlists had backgrounds with horrible artifacts from Hyperspin). Thanks to RetroHumanoid for many of the new backgrounds.

• Removed the default Big Box logo for platforms or playlists with no logos. Even we're not that in love with the Big Box logo. ;)

• Added background fanart images for some playlists that will show up if there are no videos for that playlist; previously the theme was showing a black screen in this case.

• Reduced the size of the theme by over 350 MB by converting the background images from PNGs to maximum-quality JPGs. There is no perceived quality loss and now the theme is less than half the size.

• Modified/removed some of the video borders with characters in order to better support the new arcade playlists (some of them were irrelevant to arcade games) and make room for arcade flyer images, which used to half-overlap the characters.

Highly recommended: Modify your "Images" > "3D Box Priorities" settings in LaunchBox to include "Box - Front" and "Advertisement Flyer - Front" images in order to display regular box or arcade flyer images if no 3D box image exists.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

24 minutes ago, DKGirl said:

too hyperspinny ?

It was built on purpose taking that into account and reimagining the Unified HS collab. 

As a theme (be it "hyperspinny" or not) it is a great creation, and it took a lot of thinkering to achieve its current state and features. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zanak said:

A very nice theme, clean, simple, and pretty. Only thing I would like to see is a dark theme for the unified hyperspin theme. N64, Snes, genesis, those are nice and dark backgrounds. But things like wii and DS, they're so bright, would be nice to have a dark version.

You can easily manipulate the background images of the theme and either inverse them or substitute them for the ones you like :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DKGirl said:

too hyperspinny ?   i gave this a 1 star rating but it was deleted. so we are not allowed to give criticism    ?

It was mistakenly deleted by a moderator. Feel free to add it back if you feel so inclined.

• Haha 1

I can't speak for how or who deleted it by error or mistake, but I did read it when it was up there and thought how can a theme that's main purpose is too look like Hyperspin be negatively reviewed for looking "too Hyperspinny".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Awesome theme. Just curious, is there a way to remove the date and clock? Also is there a way to remove the scrolling info text at the bottom? I've tried turning off Scroll Details and Scroll Notes under the Game details tab and it didn't turn anything off as far as I can tell.

On 8/3/2018 at 5:13 PM, xKHAOSx said:

Awesome theme. Just curious, is there a way to remove the date and clock? Also is there a way to remove the scrolling info text at the bottom? I've tried turning off Scroll Details and Scroll Notes under the Game details tab and it didn't turn anything off as far as I can tell.

Sorry for the late reply. You would unfortunately have to modify the theme in order to do either of those things, though it should be relatively obvious what to remove based on the comments in the code. You'll have to modify the XAML files in the Views folder of the theme.

very nice theme here. i was wondering if we can put on top of that a moving background or if you have to modify everything like for the clock or the scrolling?

3 hours ago, Kdye25 said:

very nice theme here. i was wondering if we can put on top of that a moving background or if you have to modify everything like for the clock or the scrolling?

It should be fairly simple with the VideoControl element. Not a bad idea; I may try tackling it here at some point. :)

I just updated to the Unified Redux 1.2 and I can't get it to look like my previous Unified theme or the layout you have in the videos. The wheels in this one seem to be different. What view settings do I need to make the theme look like the video above?

3 minutes ago, phivewmd said:

I just updated to the Unified Redux 1.2 and I can't get it to look like my previous Unified theme or the layout you have in the videos. The wheels in this one seem to be different. What view settings do I need to make the theme look like the video above?

It should look like the video straight out of the box. No customizations are necessary at all. Did you change the folder name at all? It should be in LaunchBox\Themes\Unified Redux. Any other folder name will mess things up. Post a screenshot if you're still having issues.

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

It should look like the video straight out of the box. No customizations are necessary at all. Did you change the folder name at all? It should be in LaunchBox\Themes\Unified Redux. Any other folder name will mess things up. Post a screenshot if you're still having issues.

The Unified Redux was inside of the zip file name. I moved it to the Themes folder and I am good to go. Thank you!

• Like 1

can iask why the unified first one take 649 mo and the new one ony 282 or smething like that!

Edited by killerpot

Just now, killerpot said:

can iask why the unified first one take 649 mo and the new one ony 282 or smething like that!

Per the description at the top of this page, 

I love this theme but I can't get it to work properly.  

I finally can see all the playlists now (capcom classics, cps etc) but no videos or anything are playing for any of the playlists.  Is there a setting that I'm missing or did i set something up incorrectly?
This is a fresh install that I just did last night with the latest version of Launchbox/BigBox.

Have you downloaded the videos? They are not included in the theme and need to be downloaded via Tools/download platform/playlist videos.

I believe so.  I did setup my emumovies login when I started the import.  

I recently got a new computer so this is the first time I've setup Launchbox on this one but I know previously I had it working without a hitch.

5 minutes ago, Lance Gorilla said:

I believe so.  I did setup my emumovies login when I started the import.  

I recently got a new computer so this is the first time I've setup Launchbox on this one but I know previously I had it working without a hitch.

They dont come from emumovies they are from launchbox itself. Tools/Options/download platform/playlist videos, its a specific different menu item specifically for these video types. Just go to your Launchbox/Videos/Playlists folder and look to see if there are any videos in there.

image.thumb.png.50a3f626748a1625f37db64829660c87.png

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

They dont come from emumovies they are from launchbox itself. Tools/Options/download platform/playlist videos, its a specific different menu item specifically for these video types. Just go to your Launchbox/Videos/Playlists folder and look to see if there are any videos in there.

image.thumb.png.50a3f626748a1625f37db64829660c87.png

Looks like that was my problem.  Thanks for the assist!

hi there idk if this is the right spot for a request/question but I was curious if there was any way to alter the font...example were there are no clear logos at just white letters...I seen it in another theme but actually love the hell outta this one so wasn't sure if this is something I can easily do or what :) thanks for any help in advance 

Hey, @Jason Carr i am experiencing heavy lag when moving on and off collections. Its not just ur theme, ever theme behaves the same. And i am at full stop as i cant figure out what is causing the issue.

I have log here but it doesnt tell me much ,or maybe i cant read properly

There are few exceptions warnings.

There isnt nothing out of ordinary in my collections, just video themes in playlist folder, ~10gb total of video files.Playlist xml folder has 107 xml files (mame classics are ~100kb rest is under 60kb in file size.)

IS there something that u see , to help me solve the issue?

P.S lag(delay) is up to 10 seconds, move to collections and video wont even show, for 4 seconds even controls would freeze, after 10 sec collections video shows with logo. I move away , return to colections , same thing happens again

Ok, i may have found some logistic issue , same thing but with slight less delay is happening in Launchbox (above was bigbox) when moving from and on to collections

cpu spikes on single core to 100% and time to switch and actually show collections is 5-8 seconds. Thats a lot for that job.

Intel quad 2500k with 16gb ram.

Debug 2018-11-02 08-12-36 PM.log

issue.jpg

launchbox Debug 2018-11-02 08-26-07 PM.rar

Something must be wrong, because ALL games, which have ~15k games are showing instant, while collections, which have bunch of xml files but only 10th of all games it takes up to 10 seconds just to show

Edited by Undertherainbow

On 11/2/2018 at 12:20 PM, Undertherainbow said:

Hey, @Jason Carr i am experiencing heavy lag when moving on and off collections. Its not just ur theme, ever theme behaves the same. And i am at full stop as i cant figure out what is causing the issue.

I have log here but it doesnt tell me much ,or maybe i cant read properly

There are few exceptions warnings.

There isnt nothing out of ordinary in my collections, just video themes in playlist folder, ~10gb total of video files.Playlist xml folder has 107 xml files (mame classics are ~100kb rest is under 60kb in file size.)

IS there something that u see , to help me solve the issue?

P.S lag(delay) is up to 10 seconds, move to collections and video wont even show, for 4 seconds even controls would freeze, after 10 sec collections video shows with logo. I move away , return to colections , same thing happens again

Ok, i may have found some logistic issue , same thing but with slight less delay is happening in Launchbox (above was bigbox) when moving from and on to collections

cpu spikes on single core to 100% and time to switch and actually show collections is 5-8 seconds. Thats a lot for that job.

Intel quad 2500k with 16gb ram.

Debug 2018-11-02 08-12-36 PM.log

issue.jpg

launchbox Debug 2018-11-02 08-26-07 PM.rar

Something must be wrong, because ALL games, which have ~15k games are showing instant, while collections, which have bunch of xml files but only 10th of all games it takes up to 10 seconds just to show

Hi Undertherainbow, if you would, please create a separate thread so we can troubleshoot. I need to know whether you're running the latest beta or the official release (what version exactly).