LaunchBox Community Forums

Steamy 1.5.1

(10 reviews)

6 Screenshots

About This File

This theme requires LaunchBox 13.2 or newer

This theme is more to show off what is possible with LaunchBox theming and see where we can break the mold. I asked the question, "Could you recreate the Steam interface inside of LaunchBox?" This theme is my answer.

Changes from Default:
EVERYTHING... (no really...)

The images do a pretty good job at showing off the new features this theme provides, the basic run down is as follows:

• The theme basically has two completely different looks depending on if you are using List view or Image view
  • Image View Game Details is horizontal similar to the Steam UI and utilizes a shelf system to drop down game details, achievements, and leaderboards
  • List view utilizes a single list of games similar to the traditional side bar (the ACTUAL side bar was moved to a drop down menu)
  • List view's Game Details is full sized and takes the space that typically the image view AND details would take in our default themes

NOTE: The Game Details Panel CAN be resized, the handle for it is invisible, but is located between the Play button and where image view starts (or the rest of the details are listed in list view). This size change IS remembered so should only need to really do it once.

DISCLAIMER: It is ENTIRELY possible to "break" this theme by hiding some views via the View Menu. Hiding GameDetails or the Sidebar can make it difficult or impossible to do much within the theme and should be left on at all times.

What's New in Version 1.5.1   See changelog

Released

Fixed cloud indicator styling

• Like 29
  • Unusual Gem 9

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

No game icons on hover :(. Also, backgrounds in the details are only showing the top part, with the background we have in the DB it would be better if they were middle centered.

Other than those nitpicks is a great theme!

Omg these new LaunchBox Themes are so stylish and have nice animations! Thanks a lot for this theme!

Would it be possible to have video playback with vignette at the top right corner to autoplay game title videos? (Like on Amazon Prime etc.) Would add it myself but I currently don't know if that is possible/how to do that. Otherwise I would also request if possible to have the background image centered in the top view as @Suhrvivor mentioned it.

Edit: Would it also be possible instead of displaying "LaunchBox" with the cool placeholder background image to show the corresponding playlist or platform bg and Title after selecting one when using the box view? This would be really nice looking.

Edited by Benuno

9 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

No game icons on hover :(. Also, backgrounds in the details are only showing the top part, with the background we have in the DB it would be better if they were middle centered.

Other than those nitpicks is a great theme!

I actually tried to do this in the past, and you end up seeing a lot of the middle of people's bodies.

10 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

No game icons on hover

Frankly forgot that was a thing we even had. I don't know that I've used those ever and they typically just got in the way so I didn't bother to add them.

10 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

Also, backgrounds in the details are only showing the top part, with the background we have in the DB it would be better if they were middle centered

1 hour ago, Benuno said:

possible to have the background image centered in the top view

I originally had this, but with the images we have in our DB most of the times top aligned looked better (less busy and allowed the logo to be seen easily). Having it top aligned means the image doesn't look weird as you as resizing the details pane as well. Steam also top aligns the background (though their background image they use I admit has far less height than ours) and I was trying to be as true to their design as I could be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Benuno said:

Would it also be possible instead of displaying "LaunchBox" with the cool placeholder background image to show the corresponding playlist or platform bg and Title after selecting one when using the box view?

At this time as I understand your request this isn't really possible to do with the theme engine. If we add something like that I could take a look at doing something like that.

1 hour ago, Benuno said:

Would it be possible to have video playback with vignette at the top right corner to autoplay game title videos?

Not real sure what you mean by this if I'm honest.

2 minutes ago, C-Beats said:
1 hour ago, Benuno said:

Would it be possible to have video playback with vignette at the top right corner to autoplay game title videos?

Not real sure what you mean by this if I'm honest.

I was thinking the same actually. You have the clear logo on the left, and a lot of blank space on the right, i was thinking it would be nice to have the game snap there, rather than in its own tab.

Untitled.thumb.png.6de163441a651ed91a70c5707c069766.png

• Thanks 1

Updated description to make it clear, the upper banner CAN be resized, the grip is invisible but is under the play button, the cursor changes when you're over it. Only time you can't resize is if you are in image view and the shelf is open. Your sizing DOES get saved so you should only need to really do it once.

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

I originally had this, but with the images we have in our DB most of the times top aligned looked better (less busy and allowed the logo to be seen easily). Having it top aligned means the image doesn't look weird as you as resizing the details pane as well. Steam also top aligns the background (though their background image they use I admit has far less height than ours) and I was trying to be as true to their design as I could be.

Ah, okay, nice to know you're already one (or several) steps ahead of me.

I've noticed that the achievements details can only be shown by clicking the trophy icon on the right (on Steam clicking the "achievements" on the middle takes you there). If it's possible it would be cool if you could make it behave like on Steam.

Anyway, thanks for the new cool theme!

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

I was thinking the same actually. You have the clear logo on the left, and a lot of blank space on the right, i was thinking it would be nice to have the game snap there, rather than in its own tab.

Yeah something like this. I like having the details hidden, but keeping the images in view so I moved the Carousel out and faded the image

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 9.46.30 AM.png

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yeah something like this. I like having the details hidden, but keeping the images in view so I moved the Carousel out and faded the image

Yes please. :) 

• Game On 1

Hey @C-Beats congrats on an amazing new theme! However the problem still persists on my pc where you change the title of a game the clear logo won't change to the new name and gives an error that the file is in use.

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

Can you share your .xaml files for this change? This is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to do, but looking at the code in the .xaml files makes my brain feel smooth.

Related: Are there any resources or guides for editing/creating LB themese? I know the Community Editor has a good GUI for designing BigBox themes, but these days I'm more interested in LB themes...

Edited by tycho1974

7 minutes ago, tycho1974 said:

Related: Are there any resources or guides for editing/creating LB themes?

Not at the moment. Faeran and I want to get a document written up similar to the one we have for Big Box that explains a lot of the common bindings, but you would still need to understand the basics regarding XAML/WPF to make your own theme. This theme REALLY isn't one to use to learn either. The XAML files are NOT clean/pretty and there is a LOT going on. My Beats theme is far simpler to read and learn from this then is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

Could you share your edited .xaml files please :? This is exactly what I meant.

1 hour ago, Rlad said:

I can't find any way to favorite games.

You might have to rely on the edit game window for now. C-Beats may not have added a "Favorites" button.

• Like 1

Quick note: I tried sorting my games by "last played" while in list view, and nothing happened. Point of fact, no sorting option works except for title. I haven't tested other views yet.

Edited by tycho1974

10 hours ago, tycho1974 said:

Quick note: I tried sorting my games by "last played" while in list view, and nothing happened. Point of fact, no sorting option works except for title. I haven't tested other views yet.

Yeah, this is partly because of how ListView is made behind the scenes. Typically list view is a data grid that lets you sort by any column so the arrange by settings aren't applied to it. I'm not sure if I can theme around that or not quite frankly.

13 hours ago, Rlad said:

I can't find any way to favorite games.

Next update I make to the theme I'd like to get a favorite/complete button added. Was getting low on time and shipped it without one. For now you'd have to do it via edit game window.

Fades would require work. The font should be using whatever you have set in font settings. You want a different font should be able to just change it in the settings.

Np, if RetroLust or anyone else wants to take the theme and run with it I have no objections. I'll add some small tweaks here and there but not sure I'll have the time to really delve into all the suggestions I've gotten.