LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Yay, hotplugging and afterplugging work again! However, controller seems mostly unresponsive most of the time. It takes like 3 seconds to scroll to the next game when using the dpad. And sometimes it takes a long time before you are actually able to control launchbox after plugging the controller in when launchbox is already open. Controller seems to get stuck alot when using the dpad to go to the sidebar and then pressing right to go back to the game scrolling window. I like that a pause was added when scrolling through games when using the triggers to scroll (pauses on a game before moving to the next one while still holding the trigger down). I'd like to request that the pauses be longer or configurable.

Hi. The normal launchbox mode. So I guess 'desktop application'. Edit: Pressing right on the dpad when on the sidebar seems to be responsive now since the new update. The controller altogether seems more responsive now. However, it makes the launchbox arrow pop up when using the dpad to go back to the game box area. Also, in the game box area, when shifting games, each time you hover over a new game, the windows cursor is in waiting mode for a couple seconds before moving on. But I guess this still applies to one of the things I said above.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey boss, how far away down the list are these 2 small issues?: https://youtu.be/8Et-g5w9NyA *excuse my voice :P I just realized how weird I sound when I listen to myself on a recording. It doesn't sound like that when it's actually coming out of my head as I hear it LMAO*

First off thank you for this amazing piece of software. I've been looking for awhile and it took only adding a few games to realize I wanted to buy the premium version and support your project. I've tried several other options and they all have fallen short. I've installed the 5.0 beta version and i've played around with Big Box Mode and I think it is great! Are there any plans to allow filtering of games in Big Box Mode? You can provide capability that Steam currently does not have with their Big Picture Mode. They have a custom category for GamePad only games but it doesn't include all GamePad games and it also doesn't include any games that have been added as non-steam. I think a great feature to have would be to create a GamePad only category which we can add GamePad games. Having a setting where Big Box Mode only shows GamePad games would be awesome for those of us using HTPCs. I'd be happy with just manual settings for now. Technically just allowing Big Box Mode to filter based off any filter created whether it is custom or built in would be good enough. Is this something that can already be done manually? (editing files for example) Or is it a feature you plan on including? Also I'm kinda wondering how far into the horizon it will be before Parental Controls are included. Thanks again. **UPDATE** After messing with the program some more I realized that Desktop mode fully supports the Gamepad! Great work! That will suffice for now because I can use my Custom category for Gamepad. I look forward to future updates to the program on Big Picture Mode!

Hi @calcon79, welcome, and thanks for the purchase. Filtering and such is definitely planned but will probably not make it into the 5.0 release. Parental controls are something close to home, I have the same problem with my own kids, so hopefully I can boost the priority of it a bit. Still, there are a lot of things competing for development time, so it might be a couple months before we can get there.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, it's been a bit, I know, but I did put out a new release last night. Still focusing on implementing more settings. The goal for the official 5.0 release (at least Big Box-wise) is to fill out the settings, get better platform metadata in there, show icons instead of metadata where appropriate, and then I think we'll shoot for the 5.0 release. Before that, though, there are a few things I want to tackle in LaunchBox itself as well.

Alright guys, could use some feedback on this. I changed gears quickly to provide some flexibility towards using people's existing image libraries, partially because I wanted to be able to use the EmuMovies collection data (videos and images), but also because it's been a common request as of late. I am not (yet) trying to tackle how to import people's existing metadata, as that's a lot more complicated of an issue I think due to no common data format. I'm currently only trying to tackle images and videos. The current concept is to allow you to specify folders for videos, and all image types, for each platform. That way that folder could be scanned for artwork or videos when needed. Off the bat, I'll make it scan by both ROM file name (as per EmuMovies) and game title. I *think* this will basically solve the problem of importing existing metadata for the vast majority of users. If you happen to store your images or videos in folders not based on platform, it won't work right, but this is a start (this is also the way that EmuMovies does it). In that case you could also use a file renaming/moving utility to solve that problem if necessary. Previously, you didn't really even have an option to do that. I have this working already for videos, but I'm still working on getting it implemented for images. The below screenshot shows the Edit Platform dialog with the new option for video image folders. I'd like some feedback from everyone (if they care about this feature) whether this would work for their collections. EditPlatform.png

Also, just to get you excited, here is a screenshot of what I've got going. Note that the picture on the bottom is actually a playing video that was easily downloaded and scanned from EmuMovies. BigBoxVideoScreenshot.png I've also implemented icons for ESRB: BigBoxESRBScreenshot.jpg

Looks really nice will try out over the next few days, love the controller support in BigBox working really well at moment can't find any bugs thus far in it, smooth and fast now scrolling through and starting emulation, seem to be using BigBox mode more so than LaunchBox itself.

Agree @Jason keep the desktop mode for all installations of emu's platforms art etc as its quick to do all the maintenance tasks needed. Only thing i need is to be able to uninstall DosBox, ScummVm and CDRDAO from version 4.9 as i use that for movie collection with a shortcut in latest LaunchBox and it works flawlessly in conjunction with BigBox making Films and music readily accessible, but no need for those three items in it. Media.jpg Media LaunchBox 4.9 LB-4.9.jpg

Looking nice with the movie posters. LaunchBox has infinite potential as a multimedia frontend and the fact that it includes emulators puts it in a class by itself (yeah GameEx does the media and emulators but I find it hard to setup unlike LaunchBox)

So the way the new video folder hierarchy works is to go: LaunchBox\Video\Super Nintendo (SNES)\Donkey Kong Country.mkv ? Will those videos be wrapped up with the game when you export it and its metadata? Can a similar feature be added for music? Edit: Okay, so I've tested the videos feature, and here's my thoughts: Users should be able to designate whether the music or video files takes priority of autoplay. It's a little annoying to have the music and video playing at the same time (though I suppose there could be an option for that as well). There should also be an option to play the video in fullscreen. Probably right under the "Stop/Play Music" selection. If users choose for videos to take priority over music, maybe allow the music to play once the video has concluded? (Unless they have some kind of "loop" option selected). Second Edit: Playing with it a little more, I think an option that allows the videos to play while perusing the games list but to pause that video and play the music when the player opens a game (when they switch from, say, the full SNES game list to just the Super Mario Kart menu list) would be a nifty thing. At least, that's the one I would use. Possibly even replacing the video with a screenshot when in the game-specific menu. Also, I know the intent is to use trailers and gameplay videos for the videos feature, but am I the only one using those cheesy 80s and 90s commercials instead? :D

Totally agree @DOS76 it fars surpasses anything else as an all round easily navigateable frontend even tried software and internet shortcuts through what i call my media centre ver 4.9 and they all launch perfect as well. the reason i numbered the media, films, tv series is to have them in alphabetical order which works really nice, so in my opinion for Jason to incorporate media into LaunchBox is to have a previous no frills version of LaunchBox rename it what he wants, without the emulators, incorporated into the latest version of LaunchBox, with the platform settings and most of the sidebar settings kept intact for it as well and hes there.

@Maddoc1007, I still have that on my list. Sorry I haven't gotten to it yet (an option to not extract those folders). @Kriven, we can definitely include all that stuff when exporting packages. In fact, we can include it all, I just of course have to implement it. The plan is definitely to do that for music and manuals as well. I've already fixed the simultaneous playback issue, hoping to have another new beta out tonight. The other options are great ideas; I'll add them to the list. :)