LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Ok, much coolness in this beta! I started with three clean installs. On the first scan (only for Steam games), I received 520 (origin) errors from TheGamesDB for the following games: Crayon Physics Deluxe Painkiller Recurring Evil Alien Shooter 2: Conscription EDGE Miner Wars Arena X-Blades Viking: Battle for Asgard Real Warfare Tomb Raider Chronicles On the second pass (starting clean again), I only received a 520 for X-Blades. The third pass, I selected only Steam banners for my images, and every single game installed a banner. I must say, I really like the look, too: Steam Banners Fantastic update, Jason!

Awesome, John, thanks. The TGDB errors are unfortunately just because of TGDB instability, from what I can tell. It is unfortunate though. I'd have to look to see if I could build in some kind of retry method if it fails the first time. That would probably increase import times though. Yeah, the Steam banners do look nice. :)

That's what I figured. I got a bunch of timeout errors too, but those are to be expected. The banners are a really streamlined look; I think I'll keep it that way for a while. If there's any other info you want, or something you want me to try, just ask.

Sure, one thing that I feel like needs more testing is the Download Images and Metadata Wizard. I just fixed a bunch of bugs that I didn't know were there, so I'm hoping I caught them all. That would be a huge help if you wanna tackle it. Just do everything you can to break it. :)

The other puzzling things to me right now, are these: - I've had a couple users complain about LaunchBox being really slow. It seems to be extremely rare, and apparently only affects certain systems. I'm guessing that the systems have something wrong with them, but it makes LaunchBox impossible to use and I have no idea what is causing it. - Somebody is reporting another odd situation: when LaunchBox is open, keys are pressed twice for every key press on his keyboard. Wut wut? I haven't figured that one out yet. - Apparently in Windows 7 with Aero LaunchBox looks really ugly when closing with the latest versions. I haven't taken the time to install Windows 7 on a physical machine, so I haven't troubleshooted this yet. - Finally, apparently when you have your Start bar docked on the left on a multi-monitor setup, LaunchBox maximizes improperly (doesn't fill the screen right). So those are the things that are currently on my WTF list. Anything anybody can figure out with any of those would be tremendously helpful as well. :) No pressure, John. ;)

Jason Carr said The other puzzling things to me right now, are these: - I've had a couple users complain about LaunchBox being really slow. It seems to be extremely rare, and apparently only affects certain systems. I'm guessing that the systems have something wrong with them, but it makes LaunchBox impossible to use and I have no idea what is causing it.
I did notice that with versions 4.8 beta 7 and 8, but beta 9 seems to be much faster. I don't know why, or if that's everyone's experience, but it is for me.
- Somebody is reporting another odd situation: when LaunchBox is open, keys are pressed twice for every key press on his keyboard. Wut wut? I haven't figured that one out yet.
I've heard of this happening with Win 7 64-bit. Have him try going into Start, then Control Panel and open the Keyboard Properties. Try to change the Repeat Delay and Repeat Rate settings, this seemed to fix the problem last time I came across it. Unless the claim is that it only happens with LB?
- Apparently in Windows 7 with Aero LaunchBox looks really ugly when closing with the latest versions. I haven't taken the time to install Windows 7 on a physical machine, so I haven't troubleshooted this yet.
I don't have Aero installed, but I can play with that tomorrow (I'm on Win 7 Home Premium, 64-bit). Are there any screencaps from him that I could reference as to said "ugliness"? ;)
- Finally, apparently when you have your Start bar docked on the left on a multi-monitor setup, LaunchBox maximizes improperly (doesn't fill the screen right).
That I can't test, as I only have one monitor hooked up (I have a spare, but not the cable). Sorry about that.
So those are the things that are currently on my WTF list. Anything anybody can figure out with any of those would be tremendously helpful as well. :) No pressure, John. ;)
No worries, my friend. I'll get back to you tomorrow. :)

I have Windows 7 Ultimate with Aero enabled and I don't suffer any graphical glitches when I close LaunchBox. It only freezes for like 1 second max. This problem increases when I have a large collection added. I have an AMD 6400K APU, and 4GB of RAM. It will not be the first time when some apps have problems with AMD hardware. Do you develop LaunchBox in an Intel-NVIDIA system Jason?

CliveBarker said I have Windows 7 Ultimate with Aero enabled and I don't suffer any graphical glitches when I close LaunchBox. It only freezes for like 1 second max.
I think you're combining a couple of things, Clive. The Aero complaint was only that it made LB look "ugly." :D How's it look to you?

Thanks guys. I think I have the artifacts on closing issue fixed. I just hide the window before I start shutting everything down, so it appears to just magically close right away. ;) The slowness issue was extreme. I actually played with it via screen sharing and it was absurdly slow, and *everything* was slow, from opening up the menu to adding a game, everything. And this was with 0 games, on a fast machine, so there was obviously something wrong. But I couldn't identify what it was. But we're talking like 5 seconds to do the most minuscule operations. The double keypress issue supposedly only happens when LaunchBox is running. So yeah...that makes zero sense. Thanks again...should have a new beta out in a short while. This one should be feature complete for the release. I added a premium option to prefer Steam banners for box art, and allow downloading Steam banners from Add/Edit.

Jason Carr said Thanks guys. I think I have the artifacts on closing issue fixed. I just hide the window before I start shutting everything down, so it appears to just magically close right away. ;) The slowness issue was extreme. I actually played with it via screen sharing and it was absurdly slow, and *everything* was slow, from opening up the menu to adding a game, everything. And this was with 0 games, on a fast machine, so there was obviously something wrong. But I couldn't identify what it was. But we're talking like 5 seconds to do the most minuscule operations. The double keypress issue supposedly only happens when LaunchBox is running. So yeah...that makes zero sense. Thanks again...should have a new beta out in a short while. This one should be feature complete for the release. I added a premium option to prefer Steam banners for box art, and allow downloading Steam banners from Add/Edit.
I tested the new Beta-10, very nice. Now LaunchBox closes instantly no matter the number of games added. Also there is a screenshot of what I made today with this new beta (With a custom theme that I made, because I like red...) https://i.imgur.com/Bd31kxp.png Hippyshake: It was looking fine to me, just freezing when closing it, nothing more.

Jason Carr said Thanks guys. I think I have the artifacts on closing issue fixed. I just hide the window before I start shutting everything down, so it appears to just magically close right away. ;) The slowness issue was extreme. I actually played with it via screen sharing and it was absurdly slow, and *everything* was slow, from opening up the menu to adding a game, everything. And this was with 0 games, on a fast machine, so there was obviously something wrong. But I couldn't identify what it was. But we're talking like 5 seconds to do the most minuscule operations. The double keypress issue supposedly only happens when LaunchBox is running. So yeah...that makes zero sense.
Indeed. I'll play around, but I'm not sure where to begin to emulate that.
I added a premium option to prefer Steam banners for box art, and allow downloading Steam banners from Add/Edit.
Oooh, awesome idea! And more incentive for people to buy. :) @CliveBarker: That's [expletive deleted] pretty.

Jason Carr said Sure, one thing that I feel like needs more testing is the Download Images and Metadata Wizard. I just fixed a bunch of bugs that I didn't know were there, so I'm hoping I caught them all. That would be a huge help if you wanna tackle it. Just do everything you can to break it. :)
I'm not sure how detailed you wanted to get with it, but I tried every combination I could think of. I also did separate Steam imports for each database (without Steam banners), just to get an idea of how much was being grabbed. LocalDB: art retrieved for 471 out of 841 games (56%) TheGamesDB: art retrieved for 488 out of 841 games (58.3%) Wikipedia: art retrieved for 284 out of 841 games (33.77%) LocalDB + TGDB + Wikipedia: art retrieved for 526 out of 841 games (62.54%) Steam Banners Only: art retrieved for 841 out of 841 games (100%) All options, all databases: 841 out of 841 games (100%) A couple of notes: I have a few betas and obsolete versions that Steam has, for whatever reason, kept in my library. Those do not exist in any database, so they were not included in the count or percentages. I knew that LocalDB was a copy of TGDB, so I expected those to be similar (which is why I didn't try those two as a combination). By far, the worst database was Wikipedia (as was expected); not only did it contain fewer entries, but it made more mistakes, as it was unable to discern between classic games and remakes (such as "Gauntlet," which it thought was the original arcade version). I wouldn't say anything "broke," with the exception of TGDB's usual timeouts. I wonder if it's just being pinged a bit too fast? Anything else I should try?

Jason Carr said Awesome. Yeah, the searches/missing metadata are our biggest issue here, but I'm hoping that will be solved when we finally get to build the new metadata system. Sounds like we're ready for a release. :)
Am I missing something specific? I feel like I might have misinterpreted what you wanted me to do.