LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

They have always been there, but were previously hidden as system files. I figured it was better to throw them in a folder instead and just let people know they're there. They are basically the disk image cache, which is important for quick LaunchBox navigation. They're used whether or not the RAM cache is enabled. When you "refresh all images", the cache files are deleted and come back as needed. They're named using the internal unique ID of the game.

Hi, I think my LaunchBox is messed up, I am seeing duplicate objects in BigBox mode, when downloading images for some games it downloads like 160 instead of 12, there was an error screen also but I closed it accidentally before reading it. What do you recommend me? erase everything and make a clean install?

With the images now reorganized and spit by platform folder (thank you btw)... it has made my rather large collection much more manageable in adding or changing images. Do you have any plans to split the LaunchBox.xml to help with performance, for the upcoming version 5 of LB? I just wanted to ask and hope Smile

Bil said Do you have any plans to split the LaunchBox.xml to help with performance, for the upcoming version 5 of LB? I just wanted to ask and hope Smile
This was brought up a long time ago and was dismissed. If I remember correctly, it would not make any difference to performance and just make things more difficult for Jason. I may be wrong, but don't hold your breath.

I haven't updated in a month or so and I am trying to do it now, however it appears LB has frozen. Capture.PNG It has been stuck like that for over 2 hours. I have a large collection, but the bar has not moved at all. LB is still using the CPU Capture2.PNG Ooohh, what to do...

Yesterday I was messing around in Big Box, just showing off how the videos worked to my siblings, and something happened. I use the DKC trilogy for testing... and whenever I wanted to go from the platform menu to the DKC game menu, first Big Box would flicker to Doom, then shift into Donkey Kong Country. However, the highlight selector would not move and selections were duplicated. Play Play Stop Video Stop Video View Images View Images like that. It did this for all three Donkey Kong Country games until I exited LaunchBox. It hasn't done it again since.

bd000 said I haven't updated in a month or so and I am trying to do it now, however it appears LB has frozen. Capture.PNG It has been stuck like that for over 2 hours. I have a large collection, but the bar has not moved at all. LB is still using the CPU Capture2.PNG Ooohh, what to do...
Mine took quite a while, but I didn't keep an eye on it. So I can't say if it froze at one point. But it took me well over 2 hours to transfer the images. Edit: Also, I expect that CPU is being used to transfer all of the images. Your HDD should have a high transfer rate too since its a lot of small files. If it did freeze, that would explain why no HDD activity for LB but the CPU is stuck high because it's logic might be stuck in a loop.

Yeah that's what I meant, no hdd activity, but cpu activity. It's OK now, it miraculously started working again and completed the last bit in no time. It definitely stopped for a while though. Cheers

bd000 said Yeah that's what I meant, no hdd activity, but cpu activity. It's OK now, it miraculously started working again and completed the last bit in no time. It definitely stopped for a while though. Cheers
It apparently had a heart attack.

Bil said With the images now reorganized and spit by platform folder (thank you btw)... it has made my rather large collection much more manageable in adding or changing images. Do you have any plans to split the LaunchBox.xml to help with performance, for the upcoming version 5 of LB? I just wanted to ask and hope Smile
Unfortunately not for 5.0, but hopefully shortly after. However, I have not proven that splitting the XML file would do anything to improve performance (it could possibly make it worse), so that's only one possibility of many.

bd000 said Yeah that's what I meant, no hdd activity, but cpu activity. It's OK now, it miraculously started working again and completed the last bit in no time. It definitely stopped for a while though. Cheers
Glad it worked. It can take a very long time. There's actually more CPU usage needed than you think in the process. I might see if there's anything I can do to speed it up. Rest assured that it should never be "stuck".

Jason Carr said
Glad it worked. It can take a very long time. There's actually more CPU usage needed than you think in the process. I might see if there's anything I can do to speed it up. Rest assured that it should never be "stuck".
Well unless you are on an SSD, if you have a library of even 1000-3000 it will take a while. Let alone a 10k library like bd and myself have. 30,000 images. A bunch of small files packed together like this can take some Hard drives FOR EVER. This is why I always say, put your LB install on an internal non-OS hard drive if you have the means. You will get the best performance out of it. If you have an internal non-OS SSD, its even better.

scree said Clean up images for me is approx 15 seconds. But my games database only has 399 games. It's still much slower than it was with the old Images folder layout.
Same amount of images but more folders to parse through with more complicated logic. At least this is my assumption and why it takes longer.

I recently added The Witcher from GOG, which came with a large number of images (more than 150) which I added to my LaunchBox fanart folder. Wow, LaunchBox doesn't like editing Witcher metadata now. It goes through a process of "Not Responding" for five solid minutes before picking back up and saving any changes I've made. Big Box doesn't seem overly bothered by the large number of images, so the problem is exclusive to the library/manager view. Edit: The glitching of game menus is becoming more prevalent. Constantly having issues with the menu displaying "Play" multiple times, among other things like "Stop Music" or additional apps. Also, suggestion: add a marquee effect to Additional Applications whose titles are too long to be fully displayed in the list? It happened again. This time I took a screenshot: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E0H26qRxy_E/VaUUbbz-g8I/AAAAAAAAJ18/2qbRj1eFEwI/s1600/bigbox%2Bglitches.png