LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Hi can confirm @Jason that BigBox is no longer freezing or locking up, fast and very very smooth, but however i still cannot get video to play the video clip in question is in mp4 format, it is in the videos folder of LaunchBox, it shows and goes straight to where video is in platform video browse, also populated itself in other tab under right click on game edit, but still refuses to play. My Default player is Daum Potplayer all my movies play with it, the video clip in question works outside of LaunchBox and Bigbox, it is named same as game also, Popplayer is set to automatically play video when an mp4 is clicked on, also video clip was downloaded from youtube. So dont know what im doing wrong, or that Potplayer isnt compatible with BigBox? I can see the link in BigBox for playing video, when i click on this all i get is a blank black screen, how ever clip doesnt show under the boxart.

Kriven said I've sent you the .xml file. Edit: So on the hunch I had earlier, I went and changed all of my custom platforms to just "PC" and Big Box isn't locking up anymore... Going to miss my excruciating organization.
My bigger question is why is it locking up at the mention of custom platforms? Unless I missed that.

Maddoc1007 said @SentaiBrad hi SentaiBrad have you any idea what im doing wrong that video wont play/ thanking you in advance
Honestly, no. I haven't even booted up BBM since release. I currently don't have an interest in that. If you're playing video from your PC and its not working, my only thought could be that it is a codec issue. For quick troubleshooting however, have you tried to play the video file from inside BBM with another Video player? Windows Media Player, VLC, Media Player Classic? Also, do other downloaded YT video's work with that player at all?

No other player installed all codec installed videos play in pc no problem havnt tried another file in BBM just one to try and get it working before i download any as testing to get working so i can link ones for my daughter games. All youtube videos play with potplayer its a fantastic player launch all my videos through shortcuts in another version of LaunchBox 4.9 and they all work flawlessly. Thanks anyway will wait for Jason to answer maybe its the format mp4.

Maddoc1007 said No other player installed all codec installed videos play in pc no problem havnt tried another file in BBM just one to try and get it working before i download any as testing to get working so i can link ones for my daughter games. All youtube videos play with potplayer its a fantastic player launch all my videos through shortcuts in another version of LaunchBox 4.9 and they all work flawlessly. Thanks anyway will wait for Jason to answer maybe its the format mp4.
Well that is why I was asking if other downloaded YouTube videos will play with this method or at all. If they wont, then either BBM has an issue with mp4 formatted video files or the proper codecs aren't installed.

Maddoc1007 said will download another youtube video and try thanks SentaiBrad
No problem, even If I don't have an apparent answer I will try really hard to make sure someone gets to the solution. I also like to help. :) Edit: Oh, and just in case you want to certainly rule out codecs, if you don't already have K-Lite installed you could give that a try. http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm The standard pack should do just fine. If you have any errors with codecs as well, when the pack installs it will try to detect them and fix them for you as well. It's not perfect but I've installed it on many machines and its worked great.

Kriven said Literally all of my Big Box videos are in .mp4 format and work fine, so I don't think it's a formatting issue.
Well it could be the compression method used by YouTube. It might not be a standard x264. It could be an internally developed codec or a variant of x264. Hell, it could even be x265. In which case out of date codecs would be of no use. Edit: The container is more of a formality and what it offers for features. Like mkv being one of the first and best to offer multiple Audio and Subtitle tracks to be embedded and being able to switch them on the fly, given the media player is also capable of doing so.

Downloaded another youtube video the same shows up where its supposed to be but still wont play black screen even copied one of my videos and put it in right folder then went into platform down to video location browse, it went straight to folder where video is right clicked on containing folder and clicked play with potplayer it plays but still refuses to play in BigBox. see screenshot. rightclickplay.jpg

@Kriven, that's good to know that it only happens with custom platforms. I still don't really understand why it's happening, but that really helps. Gonna focus on that until it's fixed. @Maddoc1007, does the file play in Windows Media Player? The Windows engine is used to play the videos, so if it has issues on your machine, or is missing codecs, that's the likely problem.

I don't, but it won't be a problem for me to reorganize some of the stuff since I have all the operating systems listed as "Source" now. I'll get to testing it in a few minutes. Edit: Actually, I can just download the copy I e-mailed to you. Go GMail. Edit: So I popped the old .xml in and updated. Big Box is pretty sluggish, but it's not freezing anymore. Thanks for checking that out.