LaunchBox Community Forums

Surprise! New home theater alpha coming out soon...

Jason Carr

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take all the points about the word 'theatre'. I see a lot of great suggestions here too, however it strikes me that trying to shoe horn the word Launchbox into a title is really awkward. How about something different and simple like Game Cabinet or LB Game Cabinet

Maybe since it's just a different view for the main LaunchBox information we can work in words like view, eye, or eight? LaunchBox OneView LaunchBox EagleEye LaunchBox EasyView LaunchBox Scope (like a sniper scope) LaunchBox LookOut Something along those lines? This is why marketing people get paid good money. :P

Yeah, agreed. Great names, @ChrisDude and @DOS76. I think at this point, I've made the decision to simply call LaunchBox "LaunchBox". That's it. I'm not looking to rename it or come up with an entirely new name to use for the large mode. However, here's what we do need. We need a name to use to put on the button, and a name to use to put on the second EXE file that runs the home theater view. The button I'm thinking would be "(something) Mode", but "(something) View" probably works as well. I keep running back to "Big Box" mostly because it works well to put "Big Box Mode" on a button, and it also works well to have "LaunchBox.exe" and "BigBox.exe" as the EXE file names. Then we could use "Big Box Mode" and "Desktop Mode" and still call the entire app LaunchBox. So, going forward, let's limit name discussion to only names that would work well on a "Mode" or "View" button, and as the EXE name, and assume that the entire app will continue to be called LaunchBox. Thanks for the discussion guys, and all the great ideas. Sorry to keep redirecting everything, but that's why community discussion is so valuable; it really helps to identify all the possible options and focus on the best solution. Who's got ideas or wants to vote on a name that works for the "(something) Mode" or "(something) View" scenario? :)

Jason Carr said Very cool, bd. I like the concept a lot. Needs a bit of polish, of course, but that's a great concept, assuming we do stick with Big Box. (Could be another reason to just run with Big Box; I like having LaunchBox.exe and BigBox.exe too).
Of course, its just a quick draft. It was one of those moments where I felt a picture would say more than a thousand words. I think the latter image is a good representation of what Project Couch is, however I'm unsure if it would make a good logo. It was just an idea though, to get minds working. We still need the name.
Per the names, I originally called it LaunchBox Theater, but I don't really like that name because it's still too "home theater"-ish. And again, since we want to appeal to other things as well, such as game cabinets, I'd rather not head in that direction.
Personally, I think your making the right decision here.
Those are some great names, @scree! I am fond of LaunchBox Max, or even MaxBox. I like LaunchBox Game Room even more I think. What would we put on the button for those names though?
I've got one... wait for it... "Take it to the MAX!" Laugh
Per the direction, this will be primarily for games (at least at first), with a heavy focus on easy control with a game controller. It's also worth noting that this is not planned to ever *replace* LaunchBox as it currently stands. I think the desktop interface is important to keep around, and re-implementing everything (like the wizards and such) in the new interface would be a tremendous time-sink. Not to mention I want to keep the new interface clean, primarily as a read-only mode. Eventually, I'll provide easy ways to switch to a game for editing in the desktop interface.
+1

If you call it Game Room the button could say Game On or you could just steal from MickeyD's and call it Super Size (I don't know I'm bored and populating a new 128GB SD card for my HTC M8 Windows Phone so I'm just spitballing ideas in between file transfers)

Jason Carr said Yeah, agreed. Great names, @ChrisDude and @DOS76. I think at this point, I've made the decision to simply call LaunchBox "LaunchBox". That's it. I'm not looking to rename it or come up with an entirely new name to use for the large mode. However, here's what we do need. We need a name to use to put on the button, and a name to use to put on the second EXE file that runs the home theater view. The button I'm thinking would be "(something) Mode", but "(something) View" probably works as well. I keep running back to "Big Box" mostly because it works well to put "Big Box Mode" on a button, and it also works well to have "LaunchBox.exe" and "BigBox.exe" as the EXE file names. Then we could use "Big Box Mode" and "Desktop Mode" and still call the entire app LaunchBox. So, going forward, let's limit name discussion to only names that would work well on a "Mode" or "View" button, and as the EXE name, and assume that the entire app will continue to be called LaunchBox. Thanks for the discussion guys, and all the great ideas. Sorry to keep redirecting everything, but that's why community discussion is so valuable; it really helps to identify all the possible options and focus on the best solution. Who's got ideas or wants to vote on a name that works for the "(something) Mode" or "(something) View" scenario? :)
Ooops! Missed this post. Disregard my last post. So, button names... My suggestion's are "Immerse" and "Captivate"

Jason Carr said However, here's what we do need. We need a name to use to put on the button, and a name to use to put on the second EXE file that runs the home theater view. The button I'm thinking would be "(something) Mode", but "(something) View" probably works as well. I keep running back to "Big Box" mostly because it works well to put "Big Box Mode" on a button, and it also works well to have "LaunchBox.exe" and "BigBox.exe" as the EXE file names. Then we could use "Big Box Mode" and "Desktop Mode" and still call the entire app LaunchBox.
As a button name within LB, I do like "Big Box Mode"; it ties into the "Box" in "LaunchBox" and also is similar enough to "Big Picture Mode" that anyone familiar with Steam will already have an idea as to what it does.

So I took a break from theater development tonight to build the upcoming Platform backend: Platform.png This will allow you to specify any number of Banners, Clear Logos, Device Images, and/or Fanart for all of your platforms. Of course, the images we've been working on (mostly from bd) will be included by default. I've also started working on a handful of clear logos that are shown like this in the app: Untitled-2-3.jpg Of course there's lots of metadata too.

Jason Carr said So I took a break from theater development tonight to build the upcoming Platform backend: [much goodness snipped]
That's brilliant, Jason. It also gives me an idea for the theater development side of things. (I just went hunting for the theater thread, only to find I'm already in it. Clearly, I need more coffee than usual this morning). Most of my film / series "collection" is digital these days, and most of it is leased, not owned (having gotten rid of thousands of space-hogging discs a few years ago during a move). The problem is that it's difficult to juggle specific shows across streaming platforms. For example, my daughter watches How It's Made on Netflix, my grandson watches The Backyardigans on Amazon Prime, and I watch old Doctor Who on Hulu and Monty Python flicks on Crackle (when did Crackle suddenly get so good and how did they survive long enough to get to there??). Would there be a way to have favorite shows and movies digitally represented within LB's new mode, with the option to auto-log in (these services, for the most part, stay logged in, so that might not be an issue after the initial log-in.)? Another idea might be to represent streaming platforms in much the way that televisions do now, and in the way you're representing consoles in the above pic: Each service gets its own image and link, thusly (please ignore my horrible graphics manipulation anti-skills): theatre platforms (The input fields are just placeholders to give you an idea.)

@Jason The console clear logo I see above, does that replace the game logo or does it show if game doesn't have it's own logo? Great work btw. @Hippyshake If you are just looking to link to streaming services, by opening the browser, you can already do that. You should even be able to add your image like you would a platform (once Project Couch is here). Logging in is not possible though.

Very cool, @Hippyshake. Some great ideas for when we get to implementing other types of media. I hadn't thought about streaming media services like that. @bd00, I am hoping that by the actual release of 5.0, we'll have both "banners" (what I'm calling the graphics you created) and "clear logos" for most, if not all of the platforms that were in the list. I'm planning for it to be configurable, but I think by default we'll use your banners in the list of platforms, and the clear logos on top of the list of games. It feels best that way, so far.