LaunchBox Community Forums

Surprise! New home theater alpha coming out soon...

Jason Carr

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question Jason is there anyway i can take out CDRDAO ScummVM and DOSBox out of an older version of Launchbox reason for asking is i installed most of my ripped media in another instance of Launchbox no games or anything else and i have to say it is very fast very responsive using posters for films and adventure films sci fi etc instead of arcade etc under platforms. I then created a shortcut for the older version of launchbox in Present launchbox and it launches fine from there, so i now have all my media under one hood so to speak. Therefore the older version im using for media doesnt need dos etc, i deleted them but everytime i open up my media version as i now call it they repopulate back into that older version of launchbox.

Maddoc1007 said Really looking forward to project couch think it sounds better than big box as that maybe would offend some feminists lolSmile
LOL Laugh Wow Maddoc, your mind is really in the gutter. Has anyone ever told you that? Smile
DOS76 said I think they would be really offended if you called it RaunchBox
LOL Laugh You're just as bad!

bd000 said
Maddoc1007 said Really looking forward to project couch think it sounds better than big box as that maybe would offend some feminists lolSmile
LOL Laugh Wow Maddoc, your mind is really in the gutter. Has anyone ever told you that? Smile
LOL Laugh You're just as bad!
No its just the colourful language you hear passing the window on saturdays nights lolLaugh

Lolololol. I was unaware that Big Box could have any alternate connotations. All the more reason to use it! Half kidding. @Maddoc1007 I do have an item on my to-do list to add an option to disable the auto-extract features, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have a few Asian friends who definitely would be! ;)
Jason Carr said So is "Couch Mode" aka "LaunchBox Couch" the running consensus? I'm still torn on it, personally.
Not to gum up the works, but my two favorites have been LaunchBox Home and LaunchBox Screen. I'm kinda "meh" about Couch and BigBox (which I could see people mistaking as a cataloging system for stores such as Big Lots, Wal-Mart, Sears, et al). Couch is kinda cute, but you only get the joke if you already know what the product does. No offense meant.

I hear you Hippyshake. I let both names sit in my brain for a few days, and I don't like Couch as much as I used to. Whatever we choose, I need to be able to put it on a button in LaunchBox and have it at least half-way make sense. I do think that a button with "Big Box Mode" on it does make decent sense, but I'm not so in love with it that I'm blind to other options. "Couch Mode" also makes sense but feels too weird/out there somehow, yeah. Unfortunately, I don't think LaunchBox Home would work because I can't put "Home Mode" on a button and have it make any sense. "Big Screen Mode" might work though. But then, I don't know about "LaunchBox Big Screen" being a good name for it. Other than that, I'm still open to other ideas. After review, I do like Martin's "LaunchBox Recliner" lol, but I'm afraid that it has too many connotations again. I think one of the reasons I don't like Couch, Recliner, etc. is that I see this being used for more than just a home theater environment. This could be used very well as the interface for a game cabinet, for example, much like Hyperspin is commonly used for. Hence why after thinking about it I kind of want to avoid "living room" connotations.

Jason Carr said I hear you Hippyshake. I let both names sit in my brain for a few days, and I don't like Couch as much as I used to. Whatever we choose, I need to be able to put it on a button in LaunchBox and have it at least half-way make sense. I do think that a button with "Big Box Mode" on it does make decent sense, but I'm not so in love with it that I'm blind to other options. "Couch Mode" also makes sense but feels too weird/out there somehow, yeah. Unfortunately, I don't think LaunchBox Home would work because I can't put "Home Mode" on a button and have it make any sense. "Big Screen Mode" might work though. But then, I don't know about "LaunchBox Big Screen" being a good name for it. Other than that, I'm still open to other ideas. After review, I do like Martin's "LaunchBox Recliner" lol, but I'm afraid that it has too many connotations again. I think one of the reasons I don't like Couch, Recliner, etc. is that I see this being used for more than just a home theater environment. This could be used very well as the interface for a game cabinet, for example, much like Hyperspin is commonly used for. Hence why after thinking about it I kind of want to avoid "living room" connotations.
I like LaunchBox Immersion. "What!" I know, but hear me out. I see this couch mode as a way to cut out all other distractions by focusing all attention solely on LaunchBox. It will Immerse you. I see a button in LB that says "Immerse" or "Immerse Me" which when clicked would fade LB to black and seamlessly launch immersion mode, which would gradually gain focus (visually) as it starts up. I also like captivation/captivate. However, my taste is probably in the minority, so I wouldn't recommend that you call it this. I like both Couch Mode and BigBox Mode. Like you, I see the appeal of both of them and cannot decide between the two. My vote: Undecided
Hippyshake said (which I could see people mistaking as a cataloging system for stores such as Big Lots, Wal-Mart, Sears, et al)
I laughed Laugh

You don't realise how hard this is until you decide to have a go yourself, trying to come up with something that's not going to sound obscure, highbrow, nerdy or just nonsense later on. Mind you it may not be too pressing at the moment, as the new mode will be launched from inside LaunchBox, but when it eventually goes standalone as the new LaunchBox then the name will play a big role in advertising it and attracting users. When that happens the new name might work better if the LaunchBox bit was retired. Anyway here goes with my 2 cents worth. LaunchBox MaxView LaunchBox GamesRoom LaunchBox Arena LaunchBox Stadium LaunchBox GAMMA (Games And Multi Media App) I'm beginning to see why Mr Gates and Old Man Google hire pros for this.

portachking said How about "LaunchBox Theater"? It's quite vague yet I think most people can figure out what it gets at.
I don't think it's vague; I was going to suggest LaunchBox Cinema or LaunchBox Multiplex as an alternative, so I think it makes perfect sense. @Jason Carr: Your point about "Home" is well made, sir. :) With all the names being bandied about, i think I'm confused as to what it's supposed to be. Is it to display the user's movie collection, or is it more like Steam's Big Picture mode, or something else entirely?

The problem with the likes of theatre, cinema and such, is that they are more film/TV oriented words. It might confuse people who don't use/know-of LB. @Jason An idea popped into my head today regarding your logo (BigBox only). I made a draft.
Spoiler
BigBox_Draft.jpg
and that can become this:
Spoiler
LB_BigBox_Draft.jpg
This was just an idea and I thought I'd share.

Very cool, bd. I like the concept a lot. Needs a bit of polish, of course, but that's a great concept, assuming we do stick with Big Box. (Could be another reason to just run with Big Box; I like having LaunchBox.exe and BigBox.exe too). Per the names, I originally called it LaunchBox Theater, but I don't really like that name because it's still too "home theater"-ish. And again, since we want to appeal to other things as well, such as game cabinets, I'd rather not head in that direction. Those are some great names, @scree! I am fond of LaunchBox Max, or even MaxBox. I like LaunchBox Game Room even more I think. What would we put on the button for those names though? Per the direction, this will be primarily for games (at least at first), with a heavy focus on easy control with a game controller. It's also worth noting that this is not planned to ever *replace* LaunchBox as it currently stands. I think the desktop interface is important to keep around, and re-implementing everything (like the wizards and such) in the new interface would be a tremendous time-sink. Not to mention I want to keep the new interface clean, primarily as a read-only mode. Eventually, I'll provide easy ways to switch to a game for editing in the desktop interface.