LaunchBox Community Forums

What else would you like to see us create? LaunchBox YouTube Suggestion Thread

SentaiBrad

How is everyone recently? I am extremely excited to announce that Jason has hired me on as a contractor for LaunchBox. If you haven't noticed, we've been producing lots of video content in the last few months and it's done amazing things to help grow the LaunchBox community. I am absolutely loving the work I'm doing in creating videos for you guys, and I can't wait to see what we can produce going forward. The community has been a crucial part of LaunchBox, as you've all helped shape the entire development process. We want to include all of you in this discussion as well, as far as what video content to focus on. You may have already seen our Tutorial videos that help to educate new LaunchBox users on what to do when they want to play a new system with their configuration. Once we have covered many of the consoles we will start moving in to Tutorials that deal with a specific LaunchBox feature, set of features, or more advanced things you can do with something like AutoHotKey and Notepad++. Another show that we recently started was Retro Style Spotlight, which coincidentally shortens to RSS. The name is ironic because we wanted to have a place where we could deliver some Retro Gaming oriented news and tidbits. It also serves as an avenue to shed some light on the tutorials for users who found RSS separately. As we expand our content lineup that sort of thing might move in to it's own show or continue to make RSS more robust. Now we want to bring everyone in on the current phase of our master plan to conquer the wor- internet. Are you enjoying the two series currently? Is there anything you want me to add or change about them? Are there any other types of shows you want to see us do? Is there any place you want to see us go to like a local gaming convention? Either way I look forward to reading your replies, suggestions and questions. Thank you again to everyone in the community, we sincerely could not do this without you.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are a few Suggestions to brainstorm over. Community Showcase: - This could be a video series to showcase user submitted setups (Hardware/software) that use LaunchBox/Bigbox, here is an example from TechSource https://youtu.be/qQa-zjHO9lw?t=26s Retro Mod/Hack Series - This could be a series that looks into all sorts of mods/hacks for emulation/retro gaming. As an example 007 - GoldenEye has many apon many new single player levels, game tweaks, Multiplayer levels and even a entire new game as a mod, or you could look at comparing custom texture packs against vanilla textures like this awesome guy has done in a few of his videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51UEGkLdWGU And yea a NEWS segment would be pretty good aswell.

Sorry I missed this post Mute, I wasn't receiving e-mails for some reason for this sub forum. Emulation news might be coming for our current show Retro Style Spotlight, I just need to figure out the format and frequency of it. As per rom hacks, I did go over them a bit in a few of the tutorials, but a series showing off some cool ones is a really good idea actually. Texture packs I don't really have the desire to do though. Rom Hack Archives was actually going to be a show on my personal channel about a year ago when I was doing my redesign. I created a few shows that have kind of stopped. The style of the show will dictate where it goes. If it is more commentary driven and entertainment driven it will go to my channel. If it is more informative then it will go to the LaunchBox channel. My show Random Nostalgia Generator is a good example, it is a cross breed between informative and entertainment but is mostly entertainment, so that stays on my channel and wouldn't be getting moved to the LB channel. I would create a thread for user submitted setups and maybe that can make a new segment in RSS if I got enough submissions, do 1 a week. This idea sounds really cool though too. I very much appreciate you taking the time write this post for me. It warms our hearts that people love almost anything we do. It is an amazing feeling, thank you very very much.

The RSS videos are interesting, but something that bothers me about them is there is not much "video" in them. For the most part it is just static images with audio. Something else that might be interesting is an emulator comparison video series. Kind of like the shows that have the same game on different systems. A series that would show how games on different emulators work. Emulator advantages/disadvantages.

NormalNomad said The RSS videos are interesting, but something that bothers me about them is there is not much "video" in them. For the most part it is just static images with audio. Something else that might be interesting is an emulator comparison video series. Kind of like the shows that have the same game on different systems. A series that would show how games on different emulators work. Emulator advantages/disadvantages.
I don't have a camera to really do video though, so images only are a necessity.

So since Jason started to work full-time on LaunchBox this week I thought it would be nice to have a weekly or bi-weekly update in Retro Style Spotlight on what features or improvements Jason works right at the moment. My wish list of new features for LaunchBox is very long and this week we hit the 500 created tickets mark in BitBucket this week, so it would be nice to have regularly updates on what we can expect next.

• 2 weeks later...
CriticalCid said So since Jason started to work full-time on LaunchBox this week I thought it would be nice to have a weekly or bi-weekly update in Retro Style Spotlight on what features or improvements Jason works right at the moment. My wish list of new features for LaunchBox is very long and this week we hit the 500 created tickets mark in BitBucket this week, so it would be nice to have regularly updates on what we can expect next.
I'm gonna try to do this in the weekly emails going forward. Now that I'm in to full time development, I expect things to go quicker.

AtypicalWinter said I'd like the. Idea if having platform specific emulator reviews/updates ect. I know there is quite a few different emulators for each platform but that's what would keep it busy. Quite a. Few of them getting updated from time to time. Some others not at all. But you get my drift
Yeah, I like that idea too. Eventually I'd like to create an automatic emulator updater of sorts that pulls down, updates, and installs the emulators automatically. That's probably a ways off though.

Cadet Stimpy said
Mute64 said Abit of a backstory/history on LaunchBox would be cool to, like how it all began, why jason chose to make this great frontend and maybe were he would like to see it go.
Good idea, Mute64. Maybe some early developmental screenshots (if available), too.
Going all the way back through the News posts would probably be the best way to experience the history of LaunchBox. Believe it or not, I had the first version out in a weekend (literally 2 days). But all it did was launch games in DOSBox, and it was horribly inefficient. :) But believe it or not the box art view has been mostly unchanged since the beginning.