LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

Yes, I go by either eXo or eXoScoriae.  However I go by eXo on the private site I was talking about. My guess is you are talking about IPT, which I do not upload to anymore. To maintain uploader status there I had to upload something every month, and the types of packs I make just don't work with that schedule. So I found myself constantly uploading crap just to keep my status. At this point, if I want my stuff on IPT I have to find someone with uploader status and ask them to upload it for me. But then I have to worry about if the description looks right and all this... and thats just not worth it to me. I don't need to waste my time with stuff like that when I could be working on my packs.

It is sort of funny the number of times I've been contacted by someone on my eXo name telling me that some guy named "exoscoriae" is posting my stuff and taking credit for it.

IPT also makes any torrent over 8gb free. So my stuff is always free there.

Once I get all 5 volumes out I will probably post a fully merged pack to IPT through an available uploader. I just don't want to go through that process 5 times.

Ok, so a bit of an update.

I'm working on an Adventure 3.1 collection. As many of you know,m two of the larger games (Phantasmagoria and Gabriel Knight 2) were corrupt in the 3.0 release. I honestly rushed that release a bit as there was a lot of pressure to get it out before Christmas and into the PD 12 days promo. Since I'm having to release an updated pack, I figured I'd take the time to really polish it up.  Some of the changes so far:

• All games with articles in the front have been renamed to be consistent. eg:, The Amazing Adventure of Dipshit (2099).zip is now Amazing Adventure of Dipshit, The (2099).zip. This change doesn't affect most folks, however there are many people who use the files directly (either in other front ends, or through dat software, etc) where this makes a big difference. Changing the file name also meant changing all of my metadata, launch files, etc... So it was tedious but a welcome change.
  • I scraped a few sites that had newer games (like 2004-2017) and added every one of them to the pack. It seems competitions to make or port DOS games have gotten more and more popular. Plus big release like Retro City Rampage have sort of made it "cool" to make DOS games again. Most of these are going to be in the Strategy and Action packs, but there were a few interactive fiction & roguelike RPG titles out there.
  • I'm currently going through the entire collection and checking for missing art, missing manuals, etc.. The manuals are a big one, as I haven't checked for those since I released the very first iteration of eXoDOS. Many sites, such as the computer museum, have added lots of scans and other resources. SO I'm pulling in as much of that as I can find.
  • And I'm also doing *lots* of clean up work. Most of it isn't worth getting into, but over time little things happen like better info on release dates, or two games eventually make it into the pack with the exact same name and release year. If I don't catch that, then the front end gets confused and only displays one of them (both meagre and LB suffer from this). Over time my database I use to scan for new games has become de-synched from the actual collection due to mass fixes on the collection side that didn't roll over into the DB side. So I'm running lots of checks, scan,s and queries to try and get everything synced, which in turn makes it much easier for me to know exactly what titles I have, exactly where they are, and then avoid any confusion when I scan a sit like mobygames and it tries to add a game I already have to my DB simply because they edited an apostrophe or something in the games title.

The short of it is, I am re-releasing the adventure and rpg packs as super clean and polished versions, with the strategy pack not far behind. Sim and Action... well, they are other stories. I am adding hundreds of games to both of them... especially action. so... many..... new.... games..... It will be awesome when it's done, but I have a lot of work to do to get there. So I have no idea how far out they are. I'm hoping by mid summer,  but that is complete guess work and wishful thinking. I'd like to have it done by then so I can spend the second half of the year on Win3xO. And then go into 2019 with a fresh slate and start trying to get my Win9x project back in motion. That's my bluesky idea. Whether or not it comes to pass.... Who knows. Depends more on the technology to make it happen than anything else.

I will be making a new thread specifically for my project soon, rather than continually posting updates in an old question about how to import exodos. When I do, I'll post a link here to the new thread.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I've decided to pass on making a new thread here. I prefer to not have to maintain a project thread both here and at Pleasuredome.  Plus it feels odd to just have some eXoDOS topic floating in the miscellaneous or off topic sub forums.

I encourage folks here to check the Member Projects sub forum at Pleasuredome for my project info. I've just made a rather lengthy post there about my intentions for the future of the eXoDOS project over the next year or two, what I'm currently working on, and what the v3.1 release/fixes entail.

Thanks.

Yea, you can point the new torrent to your existing directory that way you start at a high percentage.

I'd recommend deleting your ".\exodos\exodos\games\!dos" folder. It's not necessary, but it will clean out some garbage I got rid of. The proper files will be repopulated when you run the setup.bat file.

4 hours ago, eXo said:

Yea, you can point the new torrent to your existing directory that way you start at a high percentage.

I'd recommend deleting your ".\exodos\exodos\games\!dos" folder. It's not necessary, but it will clean out some garbage I got rid of. The proper files will be repopulated when you run the setup.bat file.

Where do you recommend I install the torrent to my launchbox folder?

Keep them separate at first. I don't want to be responsible for my torrent messing up whatever settings and such you already have. 

Once you have setup my torrent, you can merge it with your existing install by copying over the data, images, exodos, and manuals folders into your existing LB setup. Just back your stuff up ahead of time or do it carefully. 

Just now, eXo said:

Keep them separate at first. I don't want to be responsible for my torrent messing up whatever settings and such you already have. 

Once you have setup my torrent, you can merge it with your existing install by copying over the data, images, exodos, and manuals folders into your existing LB setup. Just back your stuff up ahead of time or do it carefully. 

Oh ok.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 11:16 AM, eXo said:

Thanks man....I have 337 items in that !Dos folder and will delete that entire folder and everything in it...is that correct?? (just want to be sure I'm not messing up my eXoDos RPG collection too that was downloaded there earlier...

Each game pack has its own file.

Gamesadv.zip, Gamesrpg.zip, GamesStr.zip, GamesSim.zip, GamesAct.zip, and GamesWin.zip.

When you run the setup files, it checks for these and decompresses each one that exists.

The dos packs all extract to !dos and the win3x pack extracts to !win. This is due to some games sharing the same name in both packs.

Deleting the !dos (or !win) folder simply ensures that when you run setup again, you only get the files that exist in the current version. If you don't delete that folder, it is possible for you to have folders that I have removed or renamed. 

So yes, deleting the folder won't hurt. However if all you have is 337 folders, that would suggest you only have the rpg pack, correct? 

Edit: reread your post. Deleting the folder won't hurt or help you. Deleting the folder only helps if you are upgrading from a previous version of eXoDOS. Not just adding a new pack.

Deleting the folder will prevent games from launching, as the actual conf and launch files are in that folder.

Edited by eXo
  • Like 1

eXo,

I now have exactly 1400 files now in my !dos folder, inside the GAMES folder...is this correct if I have RPG 3.0 and Adventure 3.1 installed?

I also have 1,454 ZIP files in my eXoDOS GAMES folder (the folder before the !dos folder)...all this look okay?

Edited by cleverest