LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

If you *don't* have your packs combined, you can use torrentcheck to take a .torrent file and compare it to your folder and see what differences there are (and even have it remove the differences. However, if it is combined, it will strip out the pack you already added :/

You can help build ratio with the free(doesn't hurt your ratio to download them) MAME packs. They update monthly, on the last Wednesday, so lots of bandwidth is needed regularly.  The easiest way to go about it is to download them now, and when the next versions are added just rename the torrent folders to the next version and download the new ones on top of your existing files.

I'd recommend the merged sets, and particularly the CHD's if you have the HDD space.

Then you're helping the community, and building ratio.

6 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

You can help build ratio with the free(doesn't hurt your ratio to download them) MAME packs. They update monthly, on the last Wednesday, so lots of bandwidth is needed regularly.  The easiest way to go about it is to download them now, and when the next versions are added just rename the torrent folders to the next version and download the new ones on top of your existing files.

I'd recommend the merged sets, and particularly the CHD's if you have the HDD space.

Then you're helping the community, and building ratio.

Im building ratio seeding  both the merged mame set and the dreamcast iso set. but both are going slow AF and its going to take forever before im in the green enough to grab the two new Exodos torrents. I have exodos 2.0 from Archive.org but am really wanting the 3.0 updates with launchbox.

I had to give up PD after being banned a couple years ago for the same reason. I had no clue why I was banned at the time but later realized my upload speed was worthless and every hour of downloading on PD required something like 7 hours worth of uploads. Then I made matters worse when I tried to log in several months ago. For some reason I thought my account was gone, tried to setup a new account and now I'm permanently banned. That's when you tell yourself, PD is not for me.

I've used the newsgroups for years and never had a problem, but they've since changed. More and more uploads are being encrypted and password protected to the point you can't even tell what's being posted. Search engines which used to search at least the past 3 years, now only search the past year even though the newsgroup retention period is still 3 years (at least for now). I tested that theory by using old NZB files I created 2+ years ago and was still able to download the data.

One option is to post the files to the newsgroups. I understand this won't help everyone, but it could help spread the files elsewhere. I would think there are sites that have no interest in PD but would gladly download the files from the newsgroups and post them, either their own website or one belonging to a friend. They'll do that for the sole reason of increasing traffic for more Ad revenue. If that happens 3 times, it means 3 places where they can be downloaded by anyone else for free.

As far as uploading the files to the newsgroups, there are ways to lighten the load. Just as a basic example... use RAR to archive Adventure v3.1 into multiple parts... i.e. 30 parts that total 3GB. Get 3 people to post 10 parts each to the newsgroups. You could also use a 4th person to post PAR files.

Another option is to contact archive.org in order to suggest another way of getting donations. The way I understand it, their main problem at the moment is a poor download speed. Maybe they could include an option where anyone who contributes a certain amount or higher will also receive a faster download speed... based on a time period or the amount of data being downloaded. Could even assign them a password to access that faster download speed so they could choose when to use it... i.e. for certain files. Hopefully this would only be temporary and still have enough money remaining to continue supporting the site.

Can I suggest that all the people moaning about having to build ratio on PD invest in a seedbox?? Even a small one just for a month with just the very latest mame torrents will build ratio nice and quick! This is exactly what I did a while ago and I’ve got a great ratio there now! Have plenty to spare too!!

• Like 1

Torrents aren't for everyone and not everyone wants to wait until Christmas to get the stuff they want. I get it.

Unfortunately, there aren't many ways to distribute large files like this. I have never stopped anyone from uploading my packs to other torrent trackers. I just can't maintain them all myself. 

That said, this awesome little site came to my attention recently....

https://the-eye.eu/public/Games/eXo/

The versions are still 2.0, but 3.0/3.1 will be added there once they are all out.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2018 at 12:41 AM, eXo said:

the archive.org sets are out of date, but yet, it does exist there.

There is currently no place to get v3.1 without building ratio or being a member of a private site. The longer it has been out, the more sources will exist for it.

RPG Pack v3 on Archive will be updated/corrected...

Adv v3.1 Pack due to size will require more time...

Edited by 2Play
  • Like 1

Keeping a good ratio isn't hard at all and if things gets totally bad.  Get a seedbox and throw ass much free stuff at it as possible. Even  if you don't normally need a seedbox. 

I got a warning once when I wasn't careful.  One month off running every free possible torrent and my upload was at 15tb. Now I don't have to worry at all.