LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

Must have done something wrong the first time. Followed the instructions above and theme videos seem to be downloaded fine. Items without box art are showing the game screen instead (though still think that a default image of a floppy with the game name written in it would be better). I pointed the LB video folder at my old HS video folder so I didn’t have to DL a lot of the videos again. 

Oh, and thanks exo, like Meagre, this is looking amazing. 

Edited by Dan

21 hours ago, Daskepeder said:

Just wanted to share how I easily imported this collection into my current LB setup:

1. Run setup.bat

2. Unpack AdvMetadata.zip in current LB folder. Do not overwrite any files, leave the original ones be.

3. Used Notepad++ to mass edit all the folder paths in Data\Platforms\ms-dos.xml

4. Followed nikeymikeys way of importing gameplay vidoes without screwing up metadata.

Voila

I did this before thinking about mklink, so that might be even easier. This also works if you, for some reason, don't want to mess with mklink. I know I might have problems whenever the next 4 parts comes out, but it's not really much work to redo it. :)

Hey man i am following your instructions, could you tell me how to mass edit the xml files in notepad++ im seeing the lines for each game <applicationpath> etc but i don't know how to mass edit them all at once thanks, also my exodos folder is on my D drive and launchbox on E so could you possibly show me how you have done yours thanks

58 minutes ago, porterballs said:

Hey man i am following your instructions, could you tell me how to mass edit the xml files in notepad++ im seeing the lines for each game <applicationpath> etc but i don't know how to mass edit them all at once thanks, also my exodos folder is on my D drive and launchbox on E so could you possibly show me how you have done yours thanks

image.thumb.png.b925df04a9dce13d28846cfb3afc921b.pngOpen MS-DOS.xml in Notepad++ and use this function. Use the path where your games are stored (You mentioned D drive, so I just used that in my example) in the "Replace with :" and select Replace All. It will take care of both <ApplicationPath> and <RootFolder>.

Edited by Daskepeder

Vol II has been uploaded and is [Free] for the duration of the 12 days of PD.

Also, once the 12 days of PD is over, I will be pulling down my Vol I torrent. It has 2 corrupt games in it. I have repaired all of this, but I don't want to replace the torrent while people are still seeding it and getting the 2x bonus credit. So I have decided to wait until the promo ends, and at that point I will replace the file and make it free for a number of days. 

Fixes Include:

Repaired Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Vol 2

Repaired Phantasmagoria 2

Removed a handful of duplicate games that were leftover from an old version

Fixed extra spaces in 2 game names (Police Quest 3 & Touche)

Added missing descriptions to a handful of games. This only affects Meagre users however, as these descriptions were already fixed on the LB side.

Other than the 2 corrupted games, the rest is just normalization processes to assist folks who are building lists and plugins to make my packs work with other systems.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dan said:

Just a warning - the new exoDOS download comes with instructions - it says to just run "setup.bat". I did this, but it reset all my Launchbox settings! I'm now having to go through and change LB back to how I had it before.

I ran it on the separated downloaded files I had in another folder, then just copied the data over to LB, namely the MS-DOS.XML into DATA\platforms, and the images and manual folder into Launchbox folder, and the EXODOS folder itself (the one with games in it) into the launchbox folder.  Haven't been able to try it yet, but it all looks correct, file wise...we'll see soon...

1 hour ago, cleverest said:

I ran it on the separated downloaded files I had in another folder, then just copied the data over to LB, namely the MS-DOS.XML into DATA\platforms, and the images and manual folder into Launchbox folder, and the EXODOS folder itself (the one with games in it) into the launchbox folder.  Haven't been able to try it yet, but it all looks correct, file wise...we'll see soon...

That's what I did. The XML was tricky because I had to combine them. I might have done something wrong because when I just copied the XML over it was only the new games, not the total games. Then there was a merge bat file. Needless to say it works but i don't have the original XMLs anymore.

What I do not have any clue how to do is bring all of this into my current LB install. I have an entirely different LB setup running just for ExoDos.

1 hour ago, angelobodetti said:

That's what I did. The XML was tricky because I had to combine them. I might have done something wrong because when I just copied the XML over it was only the new games, not the total games. Then there was a merge bat file. Needless to say it works but i don't have the original XMLs anymore.

What I do not have any clue how to do is bring all of this into my current LB install. I have an entirely different LB setup running just for ExoDos.

Here you go!...this is the one with the latest pack installed into my launchbox (I did no editing to it)...sorry I don't have the older one, it overwrote that one I believe, but this should be the final one... 

MS-DOS.xml

In the xml folder, there is a merge.bat file that creates the ms-dos.xml

I'm the first torrent there is an adventure.gam and adventure.app file needed to build the adventure list and an RPG.gam file needed for the new list. If you have both, it will merge them.

On 12/22/2017 at 2:50 PM, eXo said:

In the xml folder, there is a merge.bat file that creates the ms-dos.xml

I'm the first torrent there is an adventure.gam and adventure.app file needed to build the adventure list and an RPG.gam file needed for the new list. If you have both, it will merge them.

So I copy those .gam files to the xml folder and then run the merge.bat file?

Thank you for everything!

Edited by angelobodetti

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue but here goes - I still use MEAGRE and even after running the setup.bat my MEAGRE interface isn't being populated with the new games. I have all the packs and recently put RPG v3.0 in there along with Adventure v3.0 before it.  Launchbox is fine and has both Adv and RPG v3.0 listed, but not the MEAGRE interface. Any ideas? 

Hello everyone, pardon the intrusion, I'm not really using Launchbox but this place seems to be best one to follow the latest news @eXo is posting about his awesome work.

It's a bit of a coincidence but a few months back I wrote a converter to make ExoDos collection games usable on the Recalbox distribution, but only on a selection I did beforehand (removing games I was not interested in, I kept something as roughly 1800 games).

So I wouldn't want to have to re-sort the games by hand and redo the conversion and just wanted to know if version 3 (I have no way of downloading it for now) includes a changelog of all added and/or modified (corrected ?) games compared to version 2.0 ? Maybe in the readme or something ?

By th way, @eXo, I noticed two commercial games missing from your collection which were released as DOS games : Judge Dredd Pinball and Hurlements (a 1988 french adventure game by Ubisoft using the same game engine as their Zombi from the same period)

Edited by Voljega