LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

On 4.1.2018 at 4:25 PM, eXo said:

Just after I made this post I got an email from eBay that Cyberstrip Blackjack just showed up, one of the games missing from the collection. $37 later I am now the "proud" owner of this piece of crap software. If you guys could see the piles of shitty PC games I have purchased for you.... lol

Speaking of utterly garbage games for your collections. I hope you already have these horrible Maxis education games on your list for Win3.X that LazyGameReviews dug up a few months ago.

(links to the games in the description of the video)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

Speaking of utterly garbage games for your collections. I hope you already have these horrible Maxis education games on your list for Win3.X that LazyGameReviews dug up a few months ago.

(links to the games in the description of the video)

One mans garbage is another's treasure ;)

still in the name of preservation we need to archive them even tho we will never boot them up :D

nice find @CriticalCid

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys wondering if I could get some basic help on exodos. I DLed the 5 part set from PD:

Volume 1: Adventure v3.0
Volume 2: RPG 3.0
Volume 3: Strategy v2.0
Volume 4: Sim/Sports v2.0
Volume 5: Action v2.0

All the torrents are under one folder named:
exodos
--Bonus
--eXoDOS
--Games
--util
--a readme for each volume
--AdvMetaData.zip
--LaunchBox.zip
--RPGMetadata.zip
--Setup exoDos.bat
--Setup.bat

How can I ensure the setup.bat is running properly, and do I need to run the setup exodos.bat for the v2.0 set?

Z

You'll know the setup.bat ran correctly if you can launch the meagre.exe file and you see a list of games.  

Keep in mind, launchbox will only show games from Vol 1 & 2. If you go into the exodos sub folder and launch meagre.exe, you should see all 5 volumes represented.

That isn't all 5 packs.

Try the following:

Start Meagre, click file, then click reload data. See if the number of games change.

If not, go to the games folder, right click gamesact.zip, gamesstr.zip and gamessim.zip and choose "extract here" (assuming you have winrar or winzip installed). 

Then go back to meagre and repeat the reload data step. 

Let me know how that goes.

So weird

::::::So these were in E:\Games\exodos\eXoDOS\Games and in the extracted state (1406 files matched meagre)

if exist gamesadv.zip unzip -o gamesadv.zip
if exist gamesrpg.zip unzip -o gamesrpg.zip

::::::And these were in E:\Games\exodos\Games but not extracted

if exist gamesstr.zip unzip -o gamesstr.zip
if exist gamessim.zip unzip -o gamessim.zip
if exist gamesact.zip unzip -o gamesact.zip

I extracted and moved the E:\Games\exodus\Games folder to E:\Games\exodos\eXoDOS\Games and reloaded the data, now I get 5243.

The question I have now is, does anyone have screenshots of there folders? I seem to have multiple scummVM and dosbox folders and exodos is nested inside another exodos folder. All I did initially was create a folder e:\Games\exodos and copied the whole torrent there (setup.bat being at the root of e:\Games\exodos) and then ran setup.bat.

Z

Edit 1: I think I see the issue but I look to eXo for the final say. When you download all 5 torrents together the folders are as follows:

--Bonus
--eXoDOS
--Games
--util
--a readme for each volume
--AdvMetaData.zip
--LaunchBox.zip
--RPGMetadata.zip
--Setup exoDos.bat
--Setup.bat

I'm wondering if the eXoDOS folder (contains Games and util folders) needs to be moved to the root before running the setup.bat???

Edit 2: Found the attached folder structure in another forum. Happy mine looks the same!!!!!

exodos folder structure.png

Edited by Zeenon71

Geez. You're telling me. My spell checker finally gave up and just accepted that "eXoDOS" is the correct spelling and capitalization. God forbid you try to type exodus into my machines now, it will change it to eXoDOS in a heart beat...hah.

And no, I don't believe there is wheel art for my collection at this time.

Can I download each exodos pack to the same directory or will this mess up the setup files? It would be nice to have it all in one folder.

im assuming I can also run the setup files and I won’t loose my current rom collection set up right? It would be a pain to import them all again.

6 minutes ago, FishMonkey said:

Can I download each exodos pack to the same directory or will this mess up the setup files? It would be nice to have it all in one folder.

im assuming I can also run the setup files and I won’t loose my current rom collection set up right? It would be a pain to import them all again.

the ExoDOS sets are designed to all be in the same folder. So yes download them all to the same folder and it will actually save you some space since there is a little overlap for megre and stuff.

By default this comes with a whole new instance of Launchbox so you wont overwrite anything unless you do it yourself. If you do merge it in then this should only overwrite MS-DOS in Launchbox so you would lose anything you already had there but this more than likely already has anything you already had.

1 minute ago, StammesOpfer said:

the ExoDOS sets are designed to all be in the same folder. So yes download them all to the same folder and it will actually save you some space since there is a little overlap for megre and stuff.

By default this comes with a whole new instance of Launchbox so you wont overwrite anything unless you do it yourself. If you do merge it in then this should only overwrite MS-DOS in Launchbox so you would lose anything you already had there but this more than likely already has anything you already had.

Thank you that’s great to hear. So I just run the set up files then I’m good to go then? I downloaded the eXoDOS folder straight to my launch box with the option of not creating a sub folder as this would make two exodos folders so the set up files are in d:/launchbox and the game folders are in d:/launchbox/exodos/Games. I assumed this is the best way to do things. Luckily I have no dos games in launchbox yet.

18 minutes ago, FishMonkey said:

Thank you that’s great to hear. So I just run the set up files then I’m good to go then? I downloaded the eXoDOS folder straight to my launch box with the option of not creating a sub folder as this would make two exodos folders so the set up files are in d:/launchbox and the game folders are in d:/launchbox/exodos/Games. I assumed this is the best way to do things. Luckily I have no dos games in launchbox yet.

If you run setup and I understand you correctly then you will have an instance of your original Launchbox at d:/launchbox and a new instance at d:/launchbox/launchbox

Personally I would do it to a seperate folder then move/merge files manually but that is just my style.

You should have no trouble downloading to the same folder. All files in each pack that have the same file name are identical.

However, if you already have a launchbox setup, do not go and copy this over your existing setup. It will overwrite your existing setup. Your better off getting this setup, and then adding the ms-dos.xml file to your existing install and then copying over the exodos folder and the folders in the metadata zip to your existing LB install.

Just do it carefully and back-up your original setup files. It was hard enough getting this to work across 5 packs. There was no way for me to get it to work with the thousands of potential existing setups without relying on the user to do some of the work.

Edited by eXo

Thanks for the heads up because that is exactly what I was going to do.

So I don’t have to run the setup.bat then and I just copy the said files over manually? Or I do run the set up somewhere else then copy the files over? 

I downloaded the torrent directly to launchbox so if I run the setup.bat it will definitely overwrite everything.

Edited by FishMonkey

Setup eXoDOS while it is in its own folder. Once it is setup and working, then you can copy the internal eXoDOS folder to your existing launch box install, along with the xml file and all the folders in the advmetadata and rpgmetadata zip files. These are the manuals, box shots, etc....

That’s great thank you.

Bit of a cheeky question but will eXoDOS v3 be uploaded anywhere else apart from PD. I got a message trying to download that my ratio will drop too low. I made a thread explaining I have v2 and it’ll only take 10gb to update yet I got a reply stating “no exceptions” even though a mod would be able to see I didn’t download the whole RPG pack to get 100%.

PD's ratio rules can't be bypassed. Even a mod or an admin can't make it happen without making the entire torrent free for you. A few things:

• Yes, I upload to one other site personally, however it is a private site. I haven't uploaded it there yet though, and I'll explain why in a sec.
  • Usually, once I get it uploaded to PD, it begins to show up on other trackers as people begin to share it. However i don't have any control over that.
  • I haven't uploaded it to the other site yet as I am actually going to upload a v3.1 of Adventure and RPG. It fixes two corrupt files in the Adventure pack, as well as several naming corrections that were brought to my attention right when I released it. I am also doing a pass on it looking for any manuals that have shown up since I first made the pack.
  • When I do upload the v3.1 Adv and RPG packs, I will set them as a free download for a few days. I'll post here the day before to let people know when to expect it.