LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

You can put it anywhere you want, but the whole point is you can't just point the new torrent to your old collection. You have to place the old collection *inside* a new folder for the new torrent to see it properly.

I don't believe anyone ever said it had to be on a local drive.

45 minutes ago, Dan said:

Erm....do we have to copy the entire 220GB exodos folder to the LB install folder on our local machine? There’s no way I have that much free space. All my games and ROMs are stored on a NAS. Surely this step isn’t necessary? Exo? 

Copying the folder to LB install folder enables the games to be launched from LB. Afaik if the exodos folder is elsewhere the games won’t launch due to the xml containing the launch paths. I might be wrong but the games wouldn’t launch for me in my existing LB install without the folder being in the correct place. @eXo is this the case??

The only way to move the rom to a different folder is to go in and edit each games LB entry.  Specifically, if you right click a game and edit it, you will see a tab that says "game folder". That points to the launch file. If you move the launch file, it won't find the actual games zip file. So you have to move all the games and the "!dos" folder in the games folder. The "!dos" folder is the launch files. Once you move all that, you have the edit the games folder in LB so it can find the new files.

I presume it could be done by editting the xml file and using a search & replace, however this would still break all of the "game extras" unless you edit all those paths as well.

Essentially, it could possibly be done - but that is on you to figure out. The short of it is you need the exodos folder setup properly, you need the front end files extracted from the gamesadv.zip file (something my setup process does), and then you need to move all this (as a group to retain relative file paths) to whereever you want it to reside. You then have to go in and exit the MS-DOS.xml file to reflect this change in path. 

Good luck.

Oh dear! So it's not very easy as harryoke and I were hoping! 

Would it be possible exo to have LB on the external drive too? And then have the games inside that LB folder?

Was really hoping to have LB local (along with all the media), with the games on the NAS (like to for the rest of my 10TB collection).

10 minutes ago, Dan said:

Would it be possible exo to have LB on the external drive too? And then have the games inside that LB folder?

Was really hoping to have LB local (along with all the media), with the games on the NAS (like to for the rest of my 10TB collection).

In windows:

Mklink /j C:\Launchbox\Games P:\ROMs\eXoDOS\eXoDOS\Games

Obviously, adjust folders as to where things actually are, but the command above would make it look like there was a Games folder inside Launchbox, but that would actually point to P:\ROMs\eXoDOS\eXoDOS\Games.  To Launchbox, everything would be on drive C:.  Thus:

P:\ROMs\eXoDOS\eXoDOS\Games\File.zip

And

C:\Launchbox\Games\File.zip 

both point to the same file .

So, you just move the XML's, then use links to trick Launchbox into thinking those files are local.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I run Launchbox entirely on an external USB 8TB drive myself

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

I'd recommend making symbolic links if you need Launchbox installed elsewhere.  Be the simplest way to have LB think eXoDOS is local while the bulk of the data is actually elsewhere.

Exactly...I have all my images/cache on my SSD drive with symbolic links, it does help with the performance for sure.

• Like 1

Ive tried these symbolic links, but i cannot get an eXoDOS game to launch even tho LB recognizes its there. Also if i try to run an eXoDOS game that hasnt been run before, it asks to install (as expected) but does not do so when told to. I will just stick to having the torrent seeding from my LB folder, much easier in opinion :)