LaunchBox Community Forums

Lightspeed: Ultra-Fast Mame Importer Tool

Jason Carr

Fixed it. Just so others are aware, there's two small "features" ;) that might catch you off guard... 1) Running through Lightspeed again doesn't change paths. To fix this you either have to delete the Arcade platform from LaunchBox and re-import or Edit the properties of the Arcade platform and manually change the paths. 2) Be careful running the LaunchBox "Clean up Images" feature. This will delete all your MAME extras. I know that's sort of stating the obvious, but unlike other box art in LB, MAME Extras aren't dedicated just to LB, so people maybe surprised when they find their MAME Snaps folder empty.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of replies guys! Here's my post on another thread, so you guys are aware of what's going on!

What a mess! :)
I'm sorry for the inconvenience, guys. Between revamping the program almost completely and waiting for structural changes to Launchbox (folders etc) to get more stable, I put this project aside for a while.

Then I started doing a major remodel in our kitchen and living room, so I've been busy building and painting cabinets, installing molding, doing demolition, installing tiles etc, as a one man crew while my wife watches the kids.
On top of that, I'm co-supervising the current show I'm working on, so between home remodel, professional work and family, I've got absolutely zero time for anything else, including my hobbies :/
I don't even know when was the last time I turned on my arcade or pinball machines. But hey, anything to make my boss (aka wife) happy!!! :P

Jason, I think you should remove the link from the program. I mean, I really appreciate it, but this will work against you if it's partially broken, so feel free to do anything you need to do!
Seems like there are already nice videos about how to import everything using Launchbox only and I really don't want to hold people back while they wait.

I will get back to it eventually (I actually miss working on it), but the future is uncertain and the house remodel will surely take months to complete as I'm doing everything by myself.

Sorry guys and thank you for the interest! :)

-Kris

Real life gets busy sometimes :/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Antropus said:

Sorry for the lack of replies guys! Here's my post on another thread, so you guys are aware of what's going on!

Real life gets busy sometimes :/

Hey man, no need for anything so drastic as pulling the link! I know I had a few issues further up, but they both have workarounds (as posted) and other than that the program appears to be working great (for me at least). ;)

• Like 1

Hi, I am new to using LB and I have decided to use this app to migrate away from EmuLoader to LB for use with my MAME collection. I like that LB can import directly but I missed the filtering options and such from more dedicated MAME frontends. I saw this app as a link in LB before my MAME import and decided to give it a go. I am not sure if this is a bug or I might be completely stupid and have no idea what I am doing but I can't seem to get the output list to generate anything at all when I hit the filter button. 0 games and 0 clones. I have even tried making a clean MAME and clean MAME\roms directory with all of the assets and list XML, the whole nine.

LB sees my roms and so does Emulaoader and 2-3 other front ends I have tried just to make sure my collection was usable. All of my roms are T7Z merged sets and work just fine when I play them through LB directly, other front ends and directly through the command line. I could use a hand if anyone is more knowledgeable about this thing. If I am posting in the wrong place, please, let me know where to go and I will go there.

Thank you in advance

@Drybonz I will  look harder, there is just a LOT to wade through. :D

Thanks a bunch for the tip @Drybonz I deleted those two same exact files and BAM, all is well. I wouldn't have put the time into bushwacking through this thread if I hadn't known it was there. You are my savior!

Edited by cammelspit
NVM I fixed it, THANKS!

• 4 weeks later...

Not so fast! I am very busy at the moment, but I didn't completely quit yet ;)

I started expanding the program months ago and adapting the exporter to work with most front-ends took no time at all. When it comes to Launchbox though, that's where most of the code is, because everything is very complicated when it comes to the way it handles xml files. Things like custom ID numbers for games, platforms and emulators plus the huge amount of artwork paths and also the constant changes are just too much to deal with at the moment.

The program needs to be stable enough for me to get excited about coding to support it again.

When all the new artwork paths were added, that involved a good deal of rework on my side. Now the whole xml split that just changed *everything* in the way Lightspeed was designed to work.

It is hard enough to chase the constant changes happening with Mame, including changes in the xml file structure, so I don't want to spend precious time chasing Launchbox as it evolves, at the risk of transforming this little project into a full time job to maintain.

So I rather wait until the foundation is solid, especially what concerns to the xml structure, the heart of Lightspeed.

I tested the newest stable and beta versions yesterday and the amount of new features is outstanding, but that has a price and it is performance. I'm running it on an i7 with 24GB of RAM and my tests exporting multi-thousand games to it made it very slow to operate and load images. Great as a catalogue for a collector as myself, but slow as a front end when it comes to very large collections.

For speed/simplicity/look, I'm liking Attract-mode FE quite a lot, but I'm hopeful that once Launchbox gets its foundation in place and gets more speed improvements in the next versions I will be back at developing my little tool further, as Launchbox is by far the best tool for cataloguing, but not yet the most zippy FE to put in my arcade machine, unfortunately.

Not Jason's fault at all. He is just trying to implement all changes requested by users, that keep coming non-stop. I'm just afraid that in his quest to implement all those suggestions and make everyone happy, Launchbox/Bigbox will become too bloated to execute as a front-end without sacrificing performance. I really hope it's not the case!

Once those big structural changes stop and speed improves, then I will make time to adapt it to work with the newest versions of Launchbox. Sorry for now guys :-/

-Kris

Edited by Antropus

Wow, that was a bit unexpected; I'm sorry to hear. I thought you were on board @Antropus after the discussion in the beta thread. We've focused quite a bit on performance in the latest betas for what it's worth, but there's always more that can be done, and we will continue to focus on performance improvements. Bloat is a real thing but I do believe we've done a good job combating bloat and choosing only the best features to implement, but I guess that is a matter of opinion.

Per the XML changes, it's worth noting that literally nothing changed sans for separating platforms and settings out into individual files; the XML structures stayed completely the same, so to be honest the code changes that would be required should be fairly minimal. But I can certainly understand how life gets in the way of side projects. Thanks for updating us @Antropus.

Jason, man, you are doing an INCREDIBLE job with it and nothing comes close in features. I apologize for anything I said that might had sounded harsh! Not the intention at all. In this quest to get multiple systems through mame/mess, as the library grows, speed becomes a problem, but might be my own setup (which will be updated soon).

It's WAY faster to launch now, but to load thousands of flyers it's quite slow in my machine.

My main concern is really the structural changes, as I trust you when it comes to optimizations.

You are the man, Jason, so don't get bummed with anything I said.

We both just have to learn how not to say yes to every single feature requests we get :P

Edited by Antropus
  • Like 1

Within the next couple of days we plan to release the 6.10 official version, actually. The XML changes are stable at this point in the latest beta. I don't foresee any XML structure changes from here on out, at least not for a long while. The XML structure has been pretty uniform since the beginning, sans for adding fields here and there. :)

• Like 1