LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr It seems to have fixed itself with the latest beta i just downloaded and gave a test spin to.  Have Reverted to just building a normal theme on the lines of what i sent via email as can not get 2 coverflows to work sadly in one platform maybe after Retropalooza you may be able to look into trying to get that working.  So latest beta sorted out what i wanted in the Horizontal wheel its just the reverse of the verticalwheel.

• Like 1

Ah, I forgot about that @rebelone. That makes sense. I forgot that the new RocketLauncher emulator doesn't use the platforms list, which is actually the real problem here I think. I'll need to take a look to see how best to address this.

I also think thats what causing it. if i must test some things let me know.

12 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@martinconroy I'm really hoping this fixes the UK voice recognition thing. After playing with everything in a UK Windows environment, it's obvious that Microsoft has some strange glitches with the SpeechRecognitionEngine class when using the en-GB culture. I'm hoping I've found a workaround though. What I was seeing is that it would stop working once an en-GB speech pack was added, and that the issue had little to do with the selected language or culture, but more to do with whether that pack was installed or not. Still, it's fixed on my system so I really hope it's fixed for you and everyone else as well. :)

Hey @Jason Carr - sorry - but no change here so not sure what's going on.
Have recorded a little video so that you can see my settings and what is going on etc. Let me know if it's enlightening!
https://youtu.be/gjCi7AutI_I

Edited by martinconroy

@martinconroy and @orac31, the more I play around with this and test it, the more obvious it is that there is some kind of serious Microsoft bug with the .NET support for voice recognition that ties into the UK version of the speech recognition engine. Previously it was working for me because it was apparently still defaulting to the US engine. When I force it to use the UK engine, absolutely nothing works and nothing I do seems to fix it, so I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think to do for now is just to force it to use the US engine, which at least works, but it will require you to install the US speech package and such. I'll have a new beta out later today for testing.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

@martinconroy and @orac31, the more I play around with this and test it, the more obvious it is that there is some kind of serious Microsoft bug with the .NET support for voice recognition that ties into the UK version of the speech recognition engine. Previously it was working for me because it was apparently still defaulting to the US engine. When I force it to use the UK engine, absolutely nothing works and nothing I do seems to fix it, so I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think to do for now is just to force it to use the US engine, which at least works, but it will require you to install the US speech package and such. I'll have a new beta out later today for testing.

No worries @Jason Carr - more than happy to use the US version so just need to know what settings should be in place in the dialogues I showed, and which packages installed/ uninstalled?

From what I can tell from the video, you should have everything you need installed already. I'm hoping that the new beta will "just work" for you. I have my system set up exactly as yours is, with packages for both UK and US, and it's working fine when I force the engine to use the US version. If I let it use the UK version, it just dies. So I think this beta will fix it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

From what I can tell from the video, you should have everything you need installed already. I'm hoping that the new beta will "just work" for you. I have my system set up exactly as yours is, with packages for both UK and US, and it's working fine when I force the engine to use the US version. If I let it use the UK version, it just dies. So I think this beta will fix it.

Thanks very much for working through this @Jason Carr - really appreciated. Will download and test new beta tomorrow am GMT and report back.

18 minutes ago, martinconroy said:

22 minutes ago, martinconroy said:

Are your settings as per mine in the video @orac31?

Near I have played about installing uninstalling etc but its on my launchbox rig so no problem.

Thanks Jason I will try new bata out tomorrow and report back

Okay guys, new beta is out with some fun new stuff:

- New Premium Feature: Big Box now has separate volume controls for videos, music, startup, navigate, select, back, and attract mode navigate; volumes are available under Options > Sound in Big Box.

- New Premium Feature: Big Box now supports proper sound packs! The LaunchBox\Sounds subfolder now contains folders for different sound packs and you can switch between them under Options > Sound in Big Box. Big thanks to Clavius for all the new sound packs.

- Improvement: LaunchBox and Big Box startup time has been significantly reduced by delay loading certain metadata items

I'm hoping this also fixes voice recognition on UK systems as previously discussed, though it will require installing US language and speech packs. If we're lucky it will also fix @shinra358's wheel skipping bug, but unfortunately I still have not been able to reproduce it so I can't say for sure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay guys, new beta is out with some fun new stuff:

- New Premium Feature: Big Box now has separate volume controls for videos, music, startup, navigate, select, back, and attract mode navigate; volumes are available under Options > Sound in Big Box.

- New Premium Feature: Big Box now supports proper sound packs! The LaunchBox\Sounds subfolder now contains folders for different sound packs and you can switch between them under Options > Sound in Big Box. Big thanks to Clavius for all the new sound packs.

- Improvement: LaunchBox and Big Box startup time has been significantly reduced by delay loading certain metadata items

I'm hoping this also fixes voice recognition on UK systems as previously discussed, though it will require installing US language and speech packs. If we're lucky it will also fix @shinra358's wheel skipping bug, but unfortunately I still have not been able to reproduce it so I can't say for sure.

Hey, I didn't create it xD. 2 other ppl also reported this a while back. It is improved. It only skips around a little bit now and is very quick and doesn't slowly fall out of place like before. However, I tried it on the games and bigbox froze:

fre.jpg

Also seems that at the point of the assets loading, if you turn away from the game exactly as the assets try to load, it either lags or freezes. Still with the values of the curve or the view and page counts altered. But again, the out of place thing has improved. It doesn't skip around drastically but I can get it to instantly switch to the very new item without the wheel turning animation happening (like a teleport as if it was a lag spike). As you can see on the pic, the background is DK but the current highlighted game is Double dragon. So Im sure is a combo of the wheels settings mixed with the assets from the previous game still loaded when on another game before the change happens (this is one reason I requested an option for all the assets to change instantly instead of wait until it sits on another game for them to change). This has been happening ever since the curvature option was introduced. I thought it was a downclocking performance issue at first until I saw that it still happened even on an overclock.

On another note, the sound themes should be read from the custom themes area as well so that when ppl share themes, it'll all be in one place for easy install. (don't know if that was implemented already or not).

Lastly, you cannot switch options with left/right on the dpad. Only by pressing the confirm button. Hopefully it would be changed so we can be able to go back instead of having to do a complete loop to our desired setting.

latest?cb=20121013210658

Thank you for having a gander professor.

Edited by shinra358
  • Like 1