LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

32 minutes ago, ALIE said:

The new start up voice scared the crap out of me :D.

Jason could themes not get there own settings as well.   so many awsome themes now and they all seem to have there own settings to make things work perfectly .

Thought I put in a bit bucket request for that but just checked and guess I forgot. Definitely something that is needed. 

• Like 1

Just now, RetroArcade said:

Thought I put in a bit bucket request for that but just checked and guess I forgot. Definitely something that is needed. 

can you link it i think i alredy voted on it. but i might have made one myself so not sure.

Great to hear, guys. @shinra358, glad it's improved at least. I'll try experimenting with some different themes to see if I can replicate any of those remaining issues. We had previously removed the functionality to change the settings via left/right because it was too easy to accidentally change the settings, so I think we're gonna stick with the enter functionality only. I had thought about custom themes and sound packs; I'd rather not have it all mixed up though, so hopefully we can just distribute them together with instructions to put them in the right places.

@ALIE Themes will indeed be getting their own settings, but unfortunately that's not going to happen immediately. It's a challenge because we don't want users to have any nasty surprises ("WHY ARE ALL MY SETTINGS CHANGED!?!?!"). So we'll need a way to restore settings and such which is kind of a pain.

• Like 1

Another new beta is out guys that finally (hopefully) fixes the crashes on startup that some people were seeing due to dividing up the XML files. Duplicates were occurring in some cases and causing issues. Deleting games was also sometimes not working and that has been fixed as well. :)

"We had previously removed the functionality to change the settings via left/right because it was too easy to accidentally change the settings, so I think we're gonna stick with the enter functionality only. "

I only remember when pressing left or right, it goes back to the original menu instead of staying where it was. I thought that was fixed by having to press confirm to go over to the other section. How can one accidentally press left or right by pressing down or up? Sounds to me that a sleep timer between presses would have been a solution to prevent that. What if an option ends up with 10 items that you can get into? Do we really need to scroll through all 10 items just to get back to the item we want? And that's not mentioning accidental overpresses and then you would have to loop around again :P

Edited by shinra358

9 minutes ago, shinra358 said:

"We had previously removed the functionality to change the settings via left/right because it was too easy to accidentally change the settings, so I think we're gonna stick with the enter functionality only. "

I only remember when pressing left or right, it goes back to the original menu instead of staying where it was. I thought that was fixed by having to press confirm to go over to the other section. How can one accidentally press left or right by pressing down or up? Sounds to me that a sleep timer between presses would have been a solution to prevent that. What if an option ends up with 10 items that you can get into? Do we really need to scroll through all 10 items just to get back to the item we want? And that's not mentioning accidental overpresses and then you would have to loop around again :P

It's actually pretty easy to mess up with an arcade joystick, and I don't think a timer would really solve the issue. It's the same problem that happens regularly when trying to scroll through games and accidentally jumping letters instead. I can understand the annoyance of having to loop through the options, but honestly, it's just options so you won't need to be in there often and I'd rather err on the side of caution than ease.

3 minutes ago, DR9 said:

Loads much faster and LOVE the splitting of the XML file.

Side Note: Why isn't the BigBox search Global? It only searches in the platform currently viewing.

Thanks!

Thanks @DR9. The Big Box search is global, unless you're inside of a platform or filter, and then it only searches those games. If you want to search globally, just exit out to the platforms list.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks @DR9. The Big Box search is global, unless you're inside of a platform or filter, and then it only searches those games. If you want to search globally, just exit out to the platforms list.

Didn't notice that, thanks!

Hi Jason,

Still no plans for when I will be able to get back to my list generator, but I just watched the video about the XML split and that got me excited :)

It's incredibly easy to program to spit lists to a vast range of front-ends from my little app. Launchbox makes things much more complex because all the nuts and bolts that are in the very same xml.
So I am excited about this new development and curious about how that will affect and hopefully simplify the way Lightspeed generates lists and import games!
In other FEs all I need to do is to generate a xml list and the FE will simply load it and all games will be available. Is that your plan? To have a XML file containing just the games/systems and it will basically be plug and play? Are you still keeping that unique identifier for each game or planning to remove that as well? Sorry for all the questions :)

So rare for me to post anything in any forum these days, but again, that possibility got me excited! :)
-Kris

• Like 1

Hi Kris, good to hear from you! I'm not sure the answers to those questions are simple, but I'll do my best. If you create a new platform file and put it in the right folder, LaunchBox should automatically pick up those games on startup, yes. Each game will continue to have a unique identifier; the actual structure of the XML has not changed (and won't likely change much further per current plans). That said, I can be convinced if you have ideas to improve things. :)

Thanks for the quick reply Jason and great job on everything! I can't wait to go back to emulation, as soon as things are better handled at home :)
I will download the new version and see the current state of things. Is there any specific thread about the plans for the new XML structure or things are being discussed in this one only?

Thanks!
-Kris

@Jason Carr fantastic fast and smooth beta KUDOS

On another note have my theme done and its working great in my 15.4 monitor, however when i try it on a 16.9 monitor the pngs dont fill the full screen here is an example where I've placed the png on the canvas

<Canvas Name="Canvas">
        <transitions:TransitionPresenter TransitionSelector="{Binding BackgroundTransitionSelector}" Content="{Binding BackgroundView}" Height="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualHeight}" Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualWidth}" IsContentVideo="true" />
        <Image Stretch="Uniform" Opacity="1" Source="pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Themes/Glass/Images/TGVUI.png" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />

What am i doing wrong here the image only fills 3/4 of the screen width and the bottom of the image is cut off, it is not filling the screen vertically or horizontally.  Thanks for your help on this.