LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

Performance seems unchanged from beta 1. Whatever's causing the issue definitely has something to do with scrolling descriptions - if there are several in a row that don't scroll I can switch between them and it's completely smooth but if I move to one that has a scrolling description it kindof hangs for about half a second.

I don't know if this is a theme problem.  But I notice that my clear logos are blank/white rectangles sometimes on startup, or returning from the options menu.  I'm using CityHunter.  Also noticed some trouble populating clear logos after i've used the left or right skip to letter option and then move up and down.  I went through that a few times with a huge blank black hole for a while.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

I don't know if this is a theme problem.  But I notice that my clear logos are blank/white rectangles sometimes on startup, or returning from the options menu.  I'm using CityHunter.  Also noticed some trouble populating clear logos after i've used the left or right skip to letter option and then move up and down.  I went through that a few times with a huge blank black hole for a while.

Ive noticed hat for a long time . square gray boxes

• Like 1

@Jason Carr I have been having some issues with using the VLC player lately. For instance when exiting games, sometimes the game video will start back up and sometimes the video will not and BigBox just freezes and no key presses will work so I have to ctrl-alt-delete to exit out of BigBox. It also has happened when going in and out of the platforms and games menus fast but mostly when exiting games. I get no errors or BigBox crashing itself as BigBox just freezes. So I switched to WMP and everything works perfect with no issues at all. Its weird because I have never had these issues with VLC before.

I just tried the startup video for the 1st time and got two error messages once closed BigBox is still open but they are a problem

Cannot perform this operation while dispatcher processing is suspended.

Type:   System.InvalidOperationException
Site:   Void PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
Source: WindowsBase 7.7-beta-2

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (Action , DispatcherPriority )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.ThreadFactory.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.ChildViewModelBase.PauseAllScrollableTextBlocks()
   at (MainViewModel )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.OnDeactivated()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.Views.MainView.MainView_OnDeactivated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Window.OnDeactivated(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Window.HandleActivate(Boolean windowActivated)
   at System.Windows.Window.WmActivate(IntPtr wParam)
   at System.Windows.Window.WindowFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.PublicHooksFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

This is the 2nd error window

Dispatcher processing has been suspended, but messages are still being processed.

Type:   System.InvalidOperationException
Site:   IntPtr WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
Source: WindowsBase 7.7-beta-2

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

16 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Performance seems unchanged from beta 1. Whatever's causing the issue definitely has something to do with scrolling descriptions - if there are several in a row that don't scroll I can switch between them and it's completely smooth but if I move to one that has a scrolling description it kindof hangs for about half a second.

@Zombeaver, go into theme folder, CityHunter, Views and open the GameDetailsView.xml with Notepad++, go to line 66 and change "ScrollingNotesMod" to "ScrollingNotes" to see if that fixes the issue. Just FYI the font sizes may no longer be universal across all views. 

11 minutes ago, keltoigael said:

@Zombeaver, go into theme folder, CityHunter, Views and open the GameDetailsView.xml with Notepad++, go to line 66 and change "ScrollingNotesMod" to "ScrollingNotes" to see if that fixes the issue. Just FYI the font sizes may no longer be universal across all views. 

I'll give it a shot although the current version of CityHunter worked fine as-is in the latest stable release of LB.

After I updated last night, my city hunter theme was displaying the videos in a weird squished trapezoid shape.  I restarted and the intro video played twice, and then my entire theme was blank.  No more background video, no details, no clear logos, nothing.  I restarted again, and same thing: Intro video played twice, and nothing shows. 

16 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

After I updated last night, my city hunter theme was displaying the videos in a weird squished trapezoid shape.  I restarted and the intro video played twice, and then my entire theme was blank.  No more background video, no details, no clear logos, nothing.  I restarted again, and same thing: Intro video played twice, and nothing shows. 

Would you mind posting some images of what you are seeing?? Also before you do please restart your computer. And also double check in task manager that there is not a rogue version of launchbox/bigbox running, I mean scroll all the way down and look. After following those steps, please post your images.

8 hours ago, keltoigael said:

Hey, this actually did fix it for me! There's a little cutoff before it scrolls but that's way less of an annoyance for me than the performance hit.

10 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Hey, this actually did fix it for me! There's a little cutoff before it scrolls but that's way less of an annoyance for me than the performance hit.

Sigh, thought so. This makes me no longer want to work on the theme. I can't stand when other things then myself control the size of text.

38 minutes ago, keltoigael said:

Sigh, thought so. This makes me no longer want to work on the theme. I can't stand when other things then myself control the size of text.

Ehhh it's not the end of the world man. Maybe just take a break from it. Whenever I get frustrated by something I'm working on it's usually best to step away from it for a bit.

Maybe find a new platform to mess around with - I've been having a lot of fun with Atomiswave and Naomi the last few days.

Hey guys, new beta is out. In the live stream we figured out that VLC had a bug in the 2.2.3 version that we were using with MP3 playback, which very well could have been cause for some of the errors and freezes. Just put out a new beta with an updated version of VLC; we'll see how it goes.

Also in this new beta, I've wrapped up the Additional Applications screen for all the new fields and some new functionality. For example, you can now select a particular emulator for each app. Next steps will be of course to modify the import process, though there's one thing I'm currently not happy with: the name Additional Applications. It doesn't really seem to fit for ROM versions and such. Anybody have any ideas there as to what to call them going forward?

I'll go back through this thread here shortly.

• Like 3

Thanks Jason! I love that we can individually select emulators for it now. That's great!

Honestly I think Additional Applications is fine - different regional versions certainly isn't the only use or even necessarily the most common use for that section so I'm not sure it needs an entire rename just because of that (especially since we've been able to have additional roms in that section for some time now). It can be used for lots of things, one of which just happens to be alternate rom versions. There's also no shortage of technical help that's been offered in the past here on the forums that specifically refers to that section by name so people would be lost if they were to see that down the road.

If you're absolutely opposed to keeping the name... maybe "Extras"...

• Like 1

Thanks @DOS76 and @Zombeaver. So this thread is getting a bit unruly. I don't mind the length of it, but I'm going insane trying to follow all the different topics at once. So I've created a new forum here:

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/forum/83-beta-testing/

I will be creating a new thread for each beta release going forward. Gonna create a new one for this beta release as well. If possible, if you guys could create a new, separate thread for any outstanding issues you're having (including anything I haven't answered yet in this thread), I'd really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go ahead and close this thread for my own sanity.

Going forward, you will probably want to subscribe to the entire Beta Testing forum, so that you get notified when I put out a new beta. You can do this by clicking the Follow button in the upper right of the forum page I linked above.

Thanks for bearing with me on this everybody, and sorry for the sudden change of heart lol.