LaunchBox Community Forums

Theme: CleanBG - discussions

niglurion

The final version is online, to accompany the new official version of Launchbox: 6.8. 
It will be the last version of this theme (unless someone wants new backgrounds) :$

Now, we just have to extract the theme in the theme folder and... that's all. Everything is working right out of the box, thanks to @Jason Carr:D

I must admit that create gifs like those I posted earlier is a real nightmare for systems 32bits+. And it's a really time consuming. 
I prefer use those gifs in a new theme. I have a new idea, and I prefer to put CleanBG aside for now. I think it's ok like that. :P 

And as a teaser for the next one, let's say it will be much more "metallic" :ph34r:

• Like 5

So I tested your theme and it looks awesome, but I noticed some differences from your demo video. When I apply your theme is doesn't turn off the 70% background darkening and also doesn't change the transition effect of the background like shown in the demo. Is this normal?

• Like 1

@johnugamer, background darkening and transition animation are apply to all themes. You can change those at:

Background darkening: Options->Views->Background Fade: 70%

Transitions: Options->Transitions

It's actually possible to customize the theme to override the general transition options fixing the TransitionSelector property on the theme code for the desired transition. I made a quik guide at

• Like 2

Thank you @johnugamer, I've corrected the background darkening. It's automatically at 0 now. 
I've changed it only for the archive CleanBG.zip (it's not necessary for CleanBGnosystems). 

However, I couldn't force the slide vertical transition... @elborra has found a great way to force some transitions, but we can't force a Slide Vertical Transition at the moment. So I can only advise to manually change that in Options > Transitions > Filters Game Boxes Transition > Slide Vertical :$

Edited by niglurion
  • Like 1

Very Nice Work niglurion!

I miss some systems supported by Emumovies/Hyperspin:

Arcade Classics: Please Jason, Add Sub-Wheels/Menu.......:/

Atari Classics
Capcom Classics
Irem Classics
Konami Classics
Midway Classics
Namco Classics
Nintendo Classics
Sega Classics
SNK Classics
Taito Classics
Williams Classics
Data East Classics

Arcade Systems

American Laser Games
Arcade PC
Capcom Play System
Capcom Play System II
Capcom Play System III
Cave
Daphne
Examu eX-BOARD
Konami e-AMUSEMENT
MAME
Namco System 22
Sammy Atomiswave
Sega Hikaru
Sega Model 2
Sega Model 3
Sega Naomi
Sega ST-V
Sega Triforce
Zinc
Taito Type X

Computers

Amstrad GX4000
Atari ST
Fujitsu FM Towns
Sharp X68000
Sinclair ZX Spectrum
ScummVM

Console

Commodore Amiga CD32
NEC PC Engine
NEC PC Engine-CD
NEC PC-FX
NEC SuperGrafx
Nintendo 64DD
Nintendo Famicom
Nintendo Famicom Disk System
Nintendo Super Famicom (It´s done but wrong named "Super Nintendo Entertainment System")
Nintendo Super Game Boy
Nintendo WiiWare
Sony PSP Minis
Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Pal) and (USA)

Pinball

Future Pinball
Pinball FX2
Visual Pinball

I know it´s much work, maybe we can help to make this awesome theme grow up......

Edited by kyoken

:D

Ok, It's a lot of work yeah. I prefer make everything myself (better for uniformity), but if you want to help or make your own background, no problem. I like to share and see what people can do with it ^_^

You can find the .PSD here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nd65x34gphc1p8p/grid-backgrounds.psd
For the grid covers, I just import all covers I grabbed in a new document in InDesign (2850x1107...yeah weird dimensions...) and adjust them in a grid (ctrl+shift+d). Then I export it in PDF at a high resolution output and import it directly in the PSD in the dynamic layer named "main-image". 
Some systems are trickier because there are not enough games or it's  too specific (Daphne). You have to make a full art patchwork (like I did for CPS 1 or 3, or virtual console). 

• Capcom Play System
  • Capcom Play System II
  • Capcom Play System III
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System (USA)
  • Nintendo WiiWare (it's virtual console)

They are already done (don't forget you have a folder named "alternative versions" in the theme image folder fanart, there is the USA version of SNES for instance). Just rename it like your system name and it will be ok.
And I admit I have trouble seeing interest in some plateforms of your list. Like Super Game Boy or PSP Minis... There are Game Boy and PSP games... Why do we have to separate them? But I understand that some of us are perfectionists :D

I'll make the main missing backgrounds this week, but if anyone want to help, don't hesitate to post yours here ;)

Edited by niglurion
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kyoken said:

Please Jason, Add Sub-Wheels/Menu.......:/

You may want to vote for this ticket on BitBucket to raise the priority for Jason to integrate that:

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/534/option-to-create-custom-submenus-and

And when you want to have the Arcade Manufacture systems as addition to your normal MAME system you’ll probably want to vote for this ticket as well:

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/150/playlists-premium-feature

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CriticalCid said:

You may want to vote for this ticket on BitBucket to raise the priority for Jason to integrate that:

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/534/option-to-create-custom-submenus-and

And when you want to have the Arcade Manufacture systems as addition to your normal MAME system you’ll probably want to vote for this ticket as well:

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/150/playlists-premium-feature

Voted , I can not believe this is a low priority , Sub-Wheels is a must for any  Hyperspin user, but I can not complain , Launchbox grows and develops very quickly

4 hours ago, niglurion said:

:D

Ok, It's a lot of work yeah. I prefer make everything myself (better for uniformity), but if you want to help or make your own background, no problem. I like to share and see what people can do with it ^_^

You can find the .PSD here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nd65x34gphc1p8p/grid-backgrounds.psd
For the grid covers, I just import all covers I grabbed in a new document in InDesign (2850x1107...yeah weird dimensions...) and adjust them in a grid (ctrl+shift+d). Then I export it in PDF at a high resolution output and import it directly in the PSD in the dynamic layer named "main-image". 
Some systems are trickier because there are not enough games or it's  too specific (Daphne). You have to make a full art patchwork (like I did for CPS 1 or 3, or virtual console). 

• Capcom Play System
  • Capcom Play System II
  • Capcom Play System III
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System (USA)
  • Nintendo WiiWare (it's virtual console)

They are already done (don't forget you have a folder named "alternative versions" in the theme image folder fanart, there is the USA version of SNES for instance). Just rename it like your system name and it will be ok.
And I admit I have trouble seeing interest in some plateforms of your list. Like Super Game Boy or PSP Minis... There are Game Boy and PSP games... Why do we have to separate them? But I understand that some of us are perfectionists :D

I'll make the main missing backgrounds this week, but if anyone want to help, don't hesitate to post yours here ;)

Sorry can´t find "alternative versions" folder, where is it?

Theme is great @niglurion - I really love going into games list view and having the white text broken up with the orange/gold. 

? for you - I understand this that the platform images with the "big" images for the systems are if you set the custom fanart background. I'm a fan of random video all the time - so I don't want to set fan-art, but I love the idea of a larger console image than what I currently have.

I'm totally xml stuipd - but I did manage to tweak the wheel to curved, and move my clearlogo/art placement around.  Are you aware though your creating this if there are lines which can be edited to make the system image / text expand bigger and be moved around or no and this is why you decided to go the (beautiful) custom image backgorund?

I'm not sure to understand what you're asking for, @ThePolish, sorry :$

Yes, I'm aware. Of course.^_^
But I've already explain that in an earlier post in this topic: I've chose to use fan-arts and delete others panels because transitions of the "big" images were not associated with the backgrounds like I wanted to. Or, in more simple terms, it wasn't the result I wanted. It's that simple.
Another point is with only one background, I could manage to make a good rendering and avoid nastsurprises with bad superpositions of images. What's more, not all systems have good big images to display (like a lot of Arcade Systems, the Virtual Console, Daphne, and so on...).

So, yeah... this theme isn't for videos lovers, sorry. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, imdavid555 said:

For some reason when using VLC with this theme, Game videos do not display at all but I can hear them. System videos play fine though.

Anyone else have these issues? I am on the latest beta. I believe it is 6.9 beta 2

Yeah it’s a bug which occurs when you are using alignment properties for the videos in your theme. I have the same issue with VLC in my own theme as well. I’ve posted this already in the Beta thread so I’m hoping that @Jason Carr has this still on his plate.

So unfortunately you have to use WMP for this theme until the VLC bug is fixed.

• Like 1